Rear seat belts

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2014 | 08:47 PM

Rear seat belts

Hi everybody.

I was wondering if it's possible to put rear shoulder hardness seat belts in the back seat of a 1985 Delta 88 2 door?

My son is in a booster seat and I refuse to put him in a lap belt only, which he would not need a booster for anyway. It is a federal regulation for a child, for his size, to ride in a booster with a shoulder hardness. I have that information directly from the Pennsylvania State Police in Trevose, PA. I would go to the New Jersey State Police with the car also before driving him in the front seat into New Jersey. I know it's federal but the part of NJ I would drive thru to get him down the shore for the car show is very strict. He has riden in the car with his booster, in the front seat. I was told by the PSP that this was okay since the car does not have airbags

Anyway, with my girlfriend and I riding in the car now, with my son, we have two options, take 2 cars or see if I could do the rear hardness. I really don't want anybody riding in the back seat without the hardness. My son has riden in the back seat already, but he was in a car seat, and it buckled in just like it did in my Alero. Just put it in the center and strongarm it down.

Can this be done? Will it be safe? What point do I anchor to?
Old April 17th, 2015 | 01:19 AM

*bump
Old April 17th, 2015 | 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Ironically, rear seat shoulder belts were a factory option on the 1960s car but not on your car. That means that there are not factory-engineered hard points. You're on your own for finding the right mounting points and reinforcing them. Alternately, you could install a four-point harness for the booster seat, anchored to the package shelf.
Old June 19th, 2015 | 06:09 PM

I know this is an older post, if you have not figuerd out rear lap belts - you might want to consider a booster with built in shoulder harnesses, I have been looking at a couple on Amazon for the same reason.