Poor interior heat in '56 olds

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2013, 06:30 AM

Poor interior heat in '56 olds

How was/ should the heat in the mid 50'd era olds feel?

Issue:
Have a '56 88 and while the heat and defrost 'work' , I feel it is rather weak regarding comfort. Even at max. I have cars from the 70's that will need the window open in winter as it gets so hot where the Olds would use a wood burning stove inside.

Looking to see if the cabin should be luke warm, comfortable or roasting.

Also have the occurance of steam / vapor coming from the heater core area when heat first begins. It goes away in time but fogs up the inside. Dont see anything leaking or smell and coolant. I cant believe this is normal.
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:50 AM

Not sure how well the heat in that car should work, others will know.
The fog could be from a slight heater core leak. You could also have debris in the heater core enclosure blocking airflow.
How hot does your engine get?
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If it is not getting warm, you probably need a new Ranco valve. I don't know of anything other than a leaking heater core that would cause the steam/vapor.
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Takid455
How was/ should the heat in the mid 50'd
era olds feel?

Issue:
Have a '56 88 and while the heat and defrost 'work' , I feel it is rather weak regarding comfort. Even at max. I have cars from the 70's that will need the window open in winter as it gets so hot where the Olds would use a wood burning stove inside.

Looking to see if the cabin should be luke warm, comfortable or roasting.

Also have the occurance of steam / vapor coming from the heater core area when heat first begins. It goes away in time but fogs up the inside. Dont see anything leaking or smell and coolant. I cant believe this is normal.
I have the same car. The heater core to the best of my knowledge is original. The car is comfortable but not what I would call hot.
Rick
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:20 AM

Just the feed back I was hoping.

Engine gets warm to the point the 'COLD' light goes out and coolant circulates. Aside form that, I cant tell. Base on T Stat, I will say 180 deg.

I'll have the car in the shop this weekend so I can check the core and valve.
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:30 AM

See if you can borrow a infrared heat scanner and point it at the radiator to see what the true temp is you might just have a thermostat stuck open and the engine never really warms up
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:32 AM

Whipolds,

Mines a 55 convertible and it will drive you out of it when the top is up. Is your heater control valve opening and closing completely? sometimes the cable becomes rusty or the valve is sticky and will not allow the valve to open or close all the way.

Also if you are getting steam on the windshield I also vote for a leak in the heater core or the above mentioned valve is leaking, any wet spots on the carpet....Tedd
Old January 24th, 2013, 01:53 PM

Heat!!

I remember my 56's, all 3 that I owned a long time ago.
Yep, it would run you out it got so warm in there. Used to ride down the street with the top down while it was snowing and as long as you were moving, you never got snowed on, or cold! Course the heater cores were as big as a radiator is now. AND, yes, you do have a leaker. FIND a good old radiator shop.
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:02 PM

Took a look at it not long ago and while I do not detect and coolant or wetness around the or bellow the heater core, I do see an area of pinkish and typ whiteish corrosion. Again, no wetness, but water/ fluid stains on the firewall pad just below the heater box. Going to agree there is something with the heater core. Probably remove the one from the parts car and have that checked so I can keep this guy on the road.

Will check valve and cable operations as well.

Current project: Brake hoses to fix locked up wheels. Yea.