General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

55Olds - Poor running can you help?

Old May 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM

55Olds - Poor running can you help?

Can anyone help?!!! I have a 1955 Olds, Super 88 running stock motor and carb. I cannot get her to run on slow idle. I have already rebuilt several (!) carbs to the shop manual spec, adjusted timing etc. The engine will run on fast idle but dies as soon as the choke opens. . . Is there anything I'm missing. Please advise a frustrated Olds owner!
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Past Administrator

I moved your thread for better exposure, some members may not review the newbie forum. You said "rebuilt several cabs" so I am assuming it behaves the same with DIFFERENT carburetors. If so, either both carburetors are bad, or adjusted wrong (perhaps incorrect information on the choke setting or idle setting), or there is something else wrong not related to the carburetor at all. Maybe a vacuum leak? How much vacuum are you pulling on fast/cold idle?
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Clueless Mechanic

That's where I was going check the vacuum Lines better late to the party then never getting there
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Hi and thanks for the tip. I dont know what vacuum I'm getting as I hav'nt checked that yet but I will certainly give it a try.
Any suggestions on what sort of reading I should get and should I attach a gauge to the carb base where the distributor vacuum advance connects?
I'm assuming that it wont have anything to do with the vacuum side of the fuel pump?
What could be the cause of a vacuum leak please?
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:28 PM
71 cutlass convertible

My guess is most vacuum leaks are from old cracked lines.
Larry
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have found over the years a vacuum gauge is one of the best things you can have for one of these old cars. I think you should probably be pulling about 15-20 inches of vacuum. I would start by capping off everything at the carb and manifold. It could be windshield wipers, vacuum advance on the distributor. Then it could also be a leaking base gasket on the carb but I assume that is new since you have rebuilt the carb. Intake manifold gaskets could be another problem. With the engine running, you can squirt some WD-40 on where the manifold meets the heads and it should smooth out temporarily.