General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Hood latch removal help

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2010, 05:49 AM

Hood latch removal help

1971 442. I need to remove my hood latch to repair it. It appears to come up through the top of the radiator support. If I remove the 3 bolts it will 'fall' into the area below. I thought about removing the grilles to gain access but it appears the bumper needs to come off to do that! There's got to be an easier way.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
1971 442. I need to remove my hood latch to repair it. It appears to come up through the top of the radiator support. If I remove the 3 bolts it will 'fall' into the area below. I thought about removing the grilles to gain access but it appears the bumper needs to come off to do that! There's got to be an easier way.
You should be able to unbolt the radiator top plate and move the radiator enough to get your hand in. If the car has A/C, however, the condenser will be in the way and will need to be unbolted also.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:58 AM

I was able to change the one on my '72 by laying underneath, working around under the bumper. I do not remember removing anything but the rubber splash shield under the bumper. I do not remember any drama removing it... Long ratchet extentions are your friends here.
I even hooked up the lock cable without removing any other body parts! Patience is needed though...
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Thanks guys. It does have A/C so I think unbolting the rubber splash pan and going in from the bottom looks like what I might try. Olds didn't make it easy did they. Am I correct that the front bumper needs to be removed to remove the grilles? Thanks again.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
Thanks guys. It does have A/C so I think unbolting the rubber splash pan and going in from the bottom looks like what I might try. Olds didn't make it easy did they. Am I correct that the front bumper needs to be removed to remove the grilles? Thanks again.
I never tried it but pretty sure you have to take the bumper off or get it low enough somehow. The stone shield and grilles are assembled then installed after the headlight surrounds, then the bumper goes on because it laps over the lower lip of the stone shield.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:09 PM

Thank you all, guys!
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I never tried it but pretty sure you have to take the bumper off or get it low enough somehow.
Looking at mine again, I accessed it through the big cutouts on the bumper and where the rubber splash shield is. I never removed anything else. I did it by myself, but another person would be helpful.
It can be done - you will get a bonus yoga lesson as well.
Good luck!
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Looking at mine again, I accessed it through the big cutouts on the bumper and where the rubber splash shield is. I never removed anything else. I did it by myself, but another person would be helpful.
It can be done - you will get a bonus yoga lesson as well.
Good luck!
Thanks Rob! It can't be any harder than the contorsion I have to do to reach the lock lever to unlock it when it decides to lock itself!