Oil pressure switch with light

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Oil pressure switch with light

Looking for an oil pressure sending unit, but I want to know is there a switch that works for both a factory gauge and the factory light?

I found this on eBay, but shipping is $6.50 for a $5.50 part. Screw that!

Anyway, it looks like this.

Old May 25th, 2011, 01:39 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Looks like an plain switch to me.
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:21 AM

For what car?
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:32 AM

I believe Joe P. created a thread or responsed on a thread discussing this. If you have time to use the search option you may find that reference. John
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Redog
Looking for an oil pressure sending unit, but I want to know is there a switch that works for both a factory gauge and the factory light?

I found this on eBay, but shipping is $6.50 for a $5.50 part. Screw that!

Anyway, it looks like this.

That doesn't look like a sender for a gauge. How do you run both a "factory" gauge and a "factory" light? If the gauge is actually aftermarket, you'll obviously need the correct sender for that. In any case, the easy way is to simply run a tee fitting at the oil pressure tap in the block and use two senders. There ARE senders that have both a switch for low oil pressure and a gauge sender built in - some of the 1990s cars use them. Unfortunately I don't know what the resistance spread on the gauge sender is and whether or not it's correct for the factory or other gauge.
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There ARE senders that have both a switch for low oil pressure and a gauge sender built in - some of the 1990s cars use them. Unfortunately I don't know what the resistance spread on the gauge sender is and whether or not it's correct for the factory or other gauge.
Perhaps someone with a newer car and it's FSM might be able to shed some info on the resistance spread...
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:37 PM

I just didn't want to "T" it because I think it looks like hell.

Car in question is a 1985 Delta 88 with the 1979-1980 Holiday 88 factory gauges that I have and installed
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:24 PM
InfoJunkie

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There ARE senders that have both a switch for low oil pressure and a gauge sender built in - some of the 1990s cars use them.
I did some research on this post when it was first up. It seems that the sender worked an idiot light and an idiot gauge. The needle on the gauge sat in the middle and did not fluctuate with rpm
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Registered Loser

AC Delco Part# 10045775

'85-'87 4-cylinder Fieros use this sender along with many 2.5L GM cars before '88. Looks similar to the large bell sender only it has three prongs instead of just one. You would probably have to cut the pigtail off one of these cars in the boneyard as the plug end is rather unique. I ASSume the resistance values are similar to the older units.
This is what it looks like.I believe this sender may have continuity only when there IS oil pressure as its other intended purpose is related to electric fuel pump operation. I suppose you could tinker around by adding a CEL lamp driver out of a mid 80's GM car & get the thing to work the way you want it to but I've never tried it...

I think it's a smart idea to keep an oil pressure warning light. Even though I'm a gauge-watcher, I nearly munched the engine in one of my cars because I didn't notice the oil pressure gauge had dropped to zero when the last drop of oil exited via the ruptured diaphram of my oil sending unit.

If the car had a warning light, I'd have noticed it immediately.
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

One of the advantages of those darn low-performance hydraulic lifters -
Your oil pressure drops, you HEAR that motor tap-tap-tapping a message, and it ain't in Morse code.

- Eric
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Registered Loser

Originally Posted by MDchanic
One of the advantages of those darn low-performance hydraulic lifters -
Your oil pressure drops, you HEAR that motor tap-tap-tapping a message, and it ain't in Morse code.

- Eric
Yeah, that's probably the only thing that saved me. I had the radio cranked up quite high with the windows down and when I had slowed down for a stop sign, I heard the clattering above the music. Looked down & then saw the gauge needle sitting on zero.

Car was(is) a 4 cylinder Fiero. I put 4 quarts of oil in the engine; it pumped two of those quarts out of the sending unit weep hole in the five mile trip back to the shop where I worked. Funny how the sending unit still worked..
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:36 AM
President Blue/Grey OCA

switch aand gauge

If you can find an Olds 350 Diesel there is a factory "Y" shaped fitting that allows two sending units to be used.
That pic of the e-bay sender is not right for an Olds engine. Looks like a Buick.
You will need the long neck sender for the light and the steel bell shaped for the guage abd they will not look out of place.
Good Luck
Rich
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:07 AM

Yeah I'm just going to "T" it like I did before, I just think it looks bad
Old July 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM

UPDATE:

I did it in the "T" fashion like before. Picked up a stock oil sending unit (gauge) and I had an oil sending unit (light) on my 330 already. So I "T"'ed it with a 1/8 all female tee fitting from Home Depot with a 1/8 male screw in type tube and I used a brass fuel fitting tube that I got with the tach mounting cup just to give it some height. It's leaking a little bit at the top were the "light" sending unit goes in, but that's an easy fix. Oil gauge works nicely.

Reads about 58 PSI at start-up and around 25 at idle when all warmed up. Damn that's some good oil pressure