New to Forums

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM

New to Forums

Just wanted to stop in and say howdy. This weekend I saved a '53 Super 88 from a junkyard. This site has already been helpful to me, with all the info here. They were about to crunch it up! Got it for $500, put a battery in it last night and all the electrical works except the speedo light! I was so happy. I am sure I will be on here with many dumb questions in the future. Thanks for all the info you nice folks provide on this forum.
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Glad to hear you saved the Olds!! Got any pictures? Don
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Past Administrator

sounds like you got yourself a deal! Welcome to our site.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:02 PM

Pics

http://flickr.com/photos/imafreak/
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Funny how stuff in the junkyard goes from being worth 3 cents a pound, to 500 bucks as soon as someone is interested.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

Good job, Grady! You did'nt get an extra left rear quarter panel with it. did you? Jeffrey
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
Past Administrator

Those bumpers are crazy! You definitely need to get rid of the front one at least because it ruins the appearance of the stock grill. I really like the vertical stripes on the upholstery it looks like it is in good shape. I think you got yourself a nice car.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:43 PM

Thanks jeffrey, I will keep an eye open for a left rear for you, if you will do the same for a right front qp for me. You know Olsdsguy I was thinking the same thing about the bumpers, I will probably take off those freaky things. Been working on it when I can, and I really love this car. Do you guys have any ideas on a resource for everything I should do to a car that has been sitting for 20+ years? Drain and replace all fluids and just start troubleshooting?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

Thanks, Grady, ever seen what a '53 Olds (on a flatbed car hauler) will do to a Dodge Neon when they collide with a combined speed of 120 mph? I have. Will post pics when I figure out how.
Old October 4th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Past Administrator

I think you have the idea Grady. Don't forget to look at the rubber parts too, belts, gaskets, body bumpers, fuel lines, etc. I would definitely replace the rubber fuel lines if you see any cracking at all and belts are an obvious item. The bottom of my '46 has quite a bit of rot and corrosion and I am going to have to pay attention to that. Any car that did, or might have set on flat tires on anything other than concrete outside will have had exposure to wet plant material on the underside and could have corrosion problems. Don't forget to check under the seats for old coins too.......
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Welcome to the site. It looks like that car is definitely a find. I agree with you and Oldsguy, those things on the bumper are odd. I am sure those couldn't be stock. I wonder what they are?

Don't forget to do a tune up in your car. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and points. If you want to upgrade your ignition you can ditch the old points and get a Pertronix ignition kit. It is just a little variable reluctor that replaces the points. I have on in my 64, it works great. You will also want to rebuild the carb.

If you have any questions on where to get parts just post. There are alot of guys on here that know their stuff. WELCOME!
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Olds64
I am sure those couldn't be stock. I wonder what they are?
I bet those are just there because a previous owner thought the looked nice, probably no real purpose.