matching colors body and interior 1973 delta 88

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2015, 01:05 PM

matching colors body and interior 1973 delta 88

hello folks, Here I am again with a question
as I'm restoring my delta 88 (now the paint has been completely removed). the only green that I have found emoung the color range in 73 is "moss green" or moss gold in another catalog, but with the same code nr (46). The upholstery and the top are white, while the other interior parts are black (carpet, dash, pillars. Now, I have a problem with the historic vheicles bureau, as I want to ask for my car the gold plate, that means the car it's all original, but I cannot repaint with the same color as the laquer paint it's not more avalable and even if I find it, there's no painters that do it cause it's a very long and hard job, so I thought to use a non metallic paint, so the question is what are the non metallic paints that match with the white upholstery (seats and door panels) with the other parts(pillars, carpet and dash black). I have found many pics, but the only cars with a white interior are light blue, but it's metallic, white and crimson red. the other red avalable in '73 is the cranberry red metallic with a red interior. I add a pic of the VIN code plate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN4419.jpg (39.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN4420.jpg (38.0 KB, 12 views)
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No car is all original after all these years, especially since all original would mean things like tires, spark plugs, wires, transmission fluid etc. I think what the Historic Vehicles is after is whether the car has maintained it's original theme.

In your case the color the car was born with is indeed Oldsmobile Code 46 Moss Gold. It can be referred to as other names by other manufacturers. As far as lacquer paints? They've gone the way of the dodo so any respray done in enamel or base coat clear coat is fully acceptable to maintain the image of the car.

FYI, it was standard production to have the dash, steering column, door carpet, package tray and flooring carpet in black for cars that were themed for white interiors. That is not a mistake. Think about how much glare would be on the windscreen from a white dash, and how hard it is to keep a white carpet clean.

I would not go with a non metallic color. Have a look at this color chart for 1973 GM. It lists many different brands that are still available today, or that can be duplicated very easily with today's paint code analyzers. NOTE: Moss Gold is also called Green Gold by other divisions of GM. Same paint codes though.

1973 GM Color Codes - Oldsmobile Paint Cross-Reference
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:56 PM

Smile

thank you Allen
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You're welcome. I hope I interpreted your question correctly. I'm curious to hear back what the Historic Vehicles in Modena has to say about this. Hopefully they understand that 42 year old cars need care and attention to keep them looking like new. Looking at your other thread, I see the car is in the body shop being repaired. The painters can definitely spray BC/CC over the old lacquer after it's been sanded for adhesion. Looking forward to the newly painted body pictures.
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:32 AM

Smile

Hi, I visited the body shop last week, the car is completely unpainted and now it's with the bare metal in waiting they spray the rust saver, and then they will spray the bottom paint before paint it with the last hand of paint
The Historic cars bureau it's not in Modena, it's in Torino, but I think they know about it less then my grandmother. I think to ask directly to the GM what was the color range body combined with the White interior and pass the answer to the HVB just to avoid misunderstanding
I want to ask the Gold plate because in event of a collision the insurance must refund the damage till the original condition, otherwisethe car is considered only "old" without commercial value and they do not refund anything
Old April 14th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The answer to your dilemma is the cowl tag picture you posted. It shows exactly the color the car was built with, and the trim colors too.

Here's a link to a site that has Oldsmobile dealer brochures and such. I'm linking you directly to the 1973 Delta Royale section. You can surf back to the home page by clicking that tab at the top left of this link Old Car Manual Project - 1973 Delta 88 Royale
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:03 PM

Smile

Hi Allen, I have visited the link you posted and I found it very interesting, I saved ther page with the interior exterior color combinations, and it gives all those color combination in add to black and White interior, that means that the basic interior color were or black or White, and, that means that I can paint with any color exept the colors avalable for the cutlass or omega only, so I could say to that Fi that claims to be an expert to change job, or at least get better informations before shot bullshits
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Suggest you can also take along the link (on a flashdrive) if they don't believe you. It's quite amazing how people will change their tune when confronted with solid evidence. Good luck with those HV people. Looking forward to hearing how it went with them and also seeing pictures of the fresh paint on your car!