I need advice... or therapy ... Maybe an intervention.

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2019, 08:18 AM

I need advice... or therapy ... Maybe an intervention.

I either need to be talked down from this slippery slope or encouraged to press on... this is a long saga, so hang in there with me.

So, I have had my 1st car, a 1965 Delta 88 Holiday hardtop Sdn, under a "frame on" restoration for quite some time now. it is a Provincial White with blue two tone interior, 67k on the clock. Given to me by my father... lots of sentimental value to me. It is ready to go in for paint and body work. almost all the "peripherals" ie: chrome, grille, lights, have either been cleaned, polished and wrapped waiting for reassembly or nos in boxes that I've hunted down over the years. It will need some miner interior touch up and I'm planning on rebuilding the engine due to seal leaks only... ran great otherwise. This is Lucy

Since B body parts are not easy to find, early in the process of hunting down items or parts cars (internet was young then), I came across a '65 Dynamic 88 convertible, rust free in the desert. I found out it was a factory air, power window, triple black convertible. I snagged it, CHEAP! She's Gwendoline.

I deciding that I will make that a long term, full frame off resto. It needed a full interior restore with better cores, some missing trim, paint, engine rebuild (even though I got it running and drove it around the block the day it came off the truck) This too, has all the chrome, etc... prepped and ready or new in boxes waiting for the next step..plus interior core pieces are obtained after picking up a 3rd '65 Dynamic 2dr Hardtop for parts, you all know this one as Willard, my profile pic.

I cruise Willard regularly as it has been "Frankenstein-ed' to remain as a rat rod driver. Its in rattle can primer and has rust through, but still solid, so I felt it was worth saving from it's demo derby fate when I bought it. No real plans other than enjoy him as is...but would love to spray it Sterling Mist one day.

Along the way I picked up a very clean driver '66 Toronado, or Tori, again...dirt cheap. I haven't done much to her, but it will eventually need a repaint (Autumn Bronze w/black interior) and some seat repair.

I now have a '65 Starfire Convertible project I am hopefully about to acquire... at no cost. This one is simply requiring reassembly..much time and money has already gone into it.

I have a garage that houses all of these... (except Willard will lose his spot once the Starfire arrives) .... and now....I am possibly about to be propositioned with yet another deal.... The real question is ...Do I stop? No one is telling me I have to... I'm relatively young and healthy, but life gets in the way of making fast progress of these things... and the money...well, I ain't rich. Far from it. I'm just looking for some incite and/or advice from fellow Oldsmobile addicts.
Old August 15th, 2019, 08:22 AM

What Olds do you currently have your eye on? If you could use it for parts or drive it as is then you MAW buy it.
Old August 15th, 2019, 10:27 AM

Ha ha... that's the trick bag in this whole thing....there are 3 possible outcomes that may come to fruition... all can be drivers with minimal work....
1) '65 4 door post 88 - Would strip it down for all the parts that are good.
2) Another '65 Starfire Convert - driver
3) '67 Delta Custom -driver

How do I get myself into these messes ... I guess it could be worse...
Old August 15th, 2019, 05:26 PM

Well you could be married and your wife hate old cars. That's the intervention we all have, seems to work....... Tedd
Old August 16th, 2019, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Well you could be married and your wife hate old cars. That's the intervention we all have, seems to work....... Tedd
Do what makes you happy. time flies, then all of a sudden you realize your older.
I have similar issues. They, nor my wife has killed me yet.