How to adjust the side glass windows?

Old February 4th, 2019, 04:26 AM

How to adjust the side glass windows?

Good morning,

I've noticed the pass side door window on my 65 Starfire convertible needs an adjustment. At the rear of the door where the door glass meets the rear quarter window, the door glass seems to be sticking out slightly at the top as compared to the driver side. This creates a small air gap between the door glass and the rubber seal attached to the quarter window. We just replaced the power window motor in that door but did not loosen anything other than the regulator itself. I've got the factory body manual which is pretty useless for this. They refer to a diagram that is marked with arrows pointing at bolts A, B, C, D on the face of the door under the door panel and nowhere does it tell you what those letters are referring to such as bolt A adjusts this angle and B does this. Nothing... I am guessing that the track that goes down into the door that the glass slides in must have some sort of adjustment but not sure. I've got to take off the door panel again but wanted to see if anyone knows where I might find some legible tutorial or diagram that might help me. I've come up empty handed on Youtube.. I also need to do a small adjustment on the driver side. When I roll that window up, the back end of the glass is slightly lower so to get it to roll all the way up I have to help it by hand. Lacks about 1/2". The doors align well and do not sag so don't think it's an issue with the doors. just seems I need to make the pass side door tip inward further if that makes sense.

Thanks everyone!

John
Old February 4th, 2019, 07:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Pages 1E-13 and 1E-14 in the 1965 Body Manual have the adjustment procedure and drawings showing the locations of the adjusting screws. You have to remove the back seat and the inside upholstery panel and arm rest to access the screws. These are studs that thread into the window regulator and tracks. You have to loosen the lock nuts then turn the stud using the slot in the end to move the glass in or out. Don't be surprised if the stud is rusted into the hole in the track and refuses to turn.
Old February 4th, 2019, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Pages 1E-13 and 1E-14 in the 1965 Body Manual have the adjustment procedure and drawings showing the locations of the adjusting screws. You have to remove the back seat and the inside upholstery panel and arm rest to access the screws. These are studs that thread into the window regulator and tracks. You have to loosen the lock nuts then turn the stud using the slot in the end to move the glass in or out. Don't be surprised if the stud is rusted into the hole in the track and refuses to turn.
Thanks Joe,
I'm working on the door glass, not the rear quarter glass. My comment was about where the front door glass meets the quarter glass but just dawned on me, maybe the quarter glass is too far in which would do the same thing. I'll look closely at how they sit against the top seals which are all brand new with the new top. I'll look at those pages when I get home, perhaps I was not in the right section. They referred to an illustration that was a photo of the door less the door panel. Four bolts that were labeled A, B, C and D but I couldn't find the reference as to what those letters referred too (why would they label them and not refer to them? That's why I think I'm missing something). One of the adjustments said something about moving a plate and referred to this photo, but didn't tell me what the plate was they were talking about. I'll look at your suggested pages as soon as I get home, likely I may have been in the wrong place. I think the factory manuals are written for people with a lot of experience with the car so they may not get into the crusty detail like we would see in a say, Chilton manual or something like that. They likely expect that I know what this plate is they mention so don't explain what it is and where.

Thanks again Joe!
John
Old February 4th, 2019, 08:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jonjonbear
Thanks Joe,
I'm working on the door glass, not the rear quarter glass.
John
Sorry, I misinterpreted your post. Front door glass adjustments are on Pgs. 1D-16 and 1D-17. Same concept with the adjusting studs.
Old February 4th, 2019, 10:10 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Tip: If you haven't done so, remove the front/back door panels and the front/back seats. Your job will be 100% easier if you can sit on the floorboards where the seats were and adjust everything with the door closed.
Tip: Verify the door hinges are nice and tight. Verify the striker is positioned good in/out up/down and the door gap is correct. Do this before aligning the glass.
Tip: Mark all adjustment points and take pictures before loosening anything. This allows you to get back to the starting point if you start chasing your tail.
Tip: Verify all glass regulator components are in place, lubed and in good shape.
Tip: Verify the rubber weather seals are good. Replace as needed.
Old February 4th, 2019, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, I misinterpreted your post. Front door glass adjustments are on Pgs. 1D-16 and 1D-17. Same concept with the adjusting studs.
Thanks Joe!

John
Old February 4th, 2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Tip: If you haven't done so, remove the front/back door panels and the front/back seats. Your job will be 100% easier if you can sit on the floorboards where the seats were and adjust everything with the door closed.
Tip: Verify the door hinges are nice and tight. Verify the striker is positioned good in/out up/down and the door gap is correct. Do this before aligning the glass.
Tip: Mark all adjustment points and take pictures before loosening anything. This allows you to get back to the starting point if you start chasing your tail.
Tip: Verify all glass regulator components are in place, lubed and in good shape.
Tip: Verify the rubber weather seals are good. Replace as needed.
Good tips! Thanks so much. I think the hinges are okay and the door seems to shut properly. I've had a lot of old two door cars that the door sagged but this one is tight. Car only has 70K on it which I think is correct. Was thinking of changing that rubber strip that is attached to the rear quarter glass. Is that hard to remove from the metal strip that is glued to the quarter glass? Mine aren't in bad shape but thought I'd replace them with new ones that might be softer, more pliable since all the other seals are new.
Old February 4th, 2019, 03:07 PM

Thanks Joe!

John
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the page numbers. I see what I did. I didn't realize the book was in two parts and had thumbed my way to the back. I was in the 2D section. This looks much more like what I have!

Cheers,

John
Old February 4th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the page numbers. I see what I did. I didn't realize the book was in two parts and had thumbed my way to the back. I was in the 2D section. This looks much more like what I have!

Cheers,

John
Yeah, that's confusing. Unlike other years, the body manual for 1965 is set up so the front half of the book covers the full size cars and the back half covers the A-body cars.