Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Resetting 55 Door Glass, 2 DR HT

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2012, 01:44 PM

Resetting 55 Door Glass, 2 DR HT

Has anyone had to reset door glass? I have to fabricate/replace one bottom glass lift channel on a door, and am wondering if this works well to replace the factory setting strip. About the only other alternative I can imagine is just using regular glass setting tape and try to make some sort of shield or seal to deflect the water out away from the door glass mechanism, like the factory seal did.

http://www.soffseal.com/store/main.a...tail&item=1211
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Both Danchuck and East Coast Chevy sell the channels (for chevy) and the setting seals - I used for my 4 door - had to reset the little tabs that screw into the regulators (distances were off) - but the seals worked for the 4 door - weren't exact in length, but pretty close - probably better than what you'd end up with trying to fab.

I've never done for 2 door, although I'll have to for my post car when I get there, so I'd be interested. The seals you show look like they should work though..

Keep us posted
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:45 AM

A tip, if you cut your own glass (fairly easy), remember to seal the edges with some kind of sealer or moisure will penetrate and leave white cloudiness between the laminate. I learn frm my mistakes and now have to do what I thought was a perfect job over(some day).
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:35 AM

I'm actually toying with the idea to have the glass replaced also, if they can replicate the original green tint. The old one has a small chip at the top corner near the vent window, probably from a rubber glass stop gone bad.

At first I was thinking about trying to use Chevy 2dr hardtop channels, but the regulator brackets looked off. And one issue I'll have with the channel I bought is it's 9/16 and the originals were 1/2 inch. May have to add an extra layer of thin setting tape.
Old November 14th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Russ P in MD
t first I was thinking about trying to use Chevy 2dr hardtop channels, but the regulator brackets looked off. And one issue I'll have with the channel I bought is it's 9/16 and the originals were 1/2 inch. May have to add an extra layer of thin setting tape.
I ended up cutting them off and re-welding them at the proper location - worked out fine in the end.

I was happy with the green from www.restoglass.com/
Old December 11th, 2014, 08:59 AM

Just reviving this old thread to add info. I found a company that has the standard 3/8" channel used for the door glass bottom lift channel in many old cars - C R Laurence Company Inc., with various locations. I actually bought one through an eBay vendor. Comes in a 48 inch length, I think the 55 S88 2 door channel was 25 1/4 inch in each door. If you are missing the two brackets that tack weld to this channel or starting from scratch, you're probably better off getting the reproduction Chebby channels that Olds Dad mentioned, and trying to rework them.

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...ID=20828&pom=0