Did convertibles come with rear glass stock?

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2012, 02:44 PM

Did convertibles come with rear glass stock?

Did the 1975 convertibles come with a glass rear window from the factory or were they plastic?

It seems that the glass in my car is not being lifted into place by the spring loaded arms that go through to the trunk. I lubed he joints but it still is not lifting the glass into place even though the springs seem strong. The top was changed about 15 yeas ago by a previous owner and I was wondering if maybe the back window should be plastic.
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:10 PM

75 what? I assume you have a big Olds, and not a Cutlass that was a non factory conversion. GM A bodies had glass up until they stopped making them after 1972, and I assume the B bodies would have glass to. If your glas isn't stowing away properly, there is something wrong with the top operation. I know the big convertibles after 1970 had a scissors top, and if they aren't right they can have a major malfunction and do more damage.
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM
The Tin Man

88s had glass back window. Was the top like this when you got it? or just start? Could be top was not installed right to alow back in place
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:15 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There is an elaborate mechanism, involving two spring-loaded arms mounted to the floor of the top stowage area, which is designed to pull the glass down and into a safe position as the top is lowered, so that the glass doesn't get broken. If it is not set up properly, then you could have a wide variety of problems, including glass breakage.

And, yes, they were all glass.

- Eric
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:31 PM

I have a thread in the general discussion area about the glass coming out of the top along the top edge of the glass. It was suggested that I ask the OEM question here. I know about the spring mechanism for the glass but it does not seem to be lifting it back into place and with the heat here the glass has slipped. Can it be repaired or is a new top in my future?
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:50 PM
Oldsdruid

71-76 B & E convertibles had glass rear windows. Are the links connected to the rear curtain? should be toward the bottom corners of the glass.

Most I've seen separate at the bottom edge of the glass. Glass separation from the rear curtain is why the last top I put on my 73 had a PLASTIC window. I simply got tired of fooling with it.

That scissor top was just a bad design from the word go. They lifted it from the Corvair convertible, where it made sense because you didn't want hydraulic fluid leaking into the engine compartment. Official reason for the 71-76 usage was the mechanism allowed use of a full-width rear seat "for true six-passenger comfort". Truth was they saved money by being able to use the same seat structure in both the convert and the 2-door hardtop.