General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

did 72's come with titles

Old July 1st, 2010, 03:43 PM

did 72's come with titles

Hey everyone...so before we get started on this car and restoring it...we thought we should secure the sale by transfering the title...so what does the bmv need? I have a bill of sale from the owner and the motor vehicle registration tag and tax receipt from the state from which the car came from? Is there an actual "title"? HELP!!!
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:34 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

My 1972 has a title....pretty sure any car has to. If the person you purchased it from didn't give you one, that may be an issue...Sorry I can't be more help with the details, but I believe you have to have the title in hand to do any sort of transfer. You should do some Internet research in your state to see what the process of getting a title copy. I have never had to do it, but I have heard it is a big pain in the butt.

Last edited by silverriff; July 1st, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM

The seller should have applied for a lost title if he cannot find it, It makes it much easier for the owner to prove ownership than the next person in line to own it. At least he should accompany you to the DMV to get the transfer completed, I would not give any cash beyond a deposit until it is legit.
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:56 PM

In Canada the vehicle's registration is the title and proof of ownership. You can do a VIN search with DMV to see if there are any liens on the vehicle however.
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fiona72
Hey everyone...so before we get started on this car and restoring it...we thought we should secure the sale by transfering the title...so what does the bmv need? I have a bill of sale from the owner and the motor vehicle registration tag and tax receipt from the state from which the car came from? Is there an actual "title"? HELP!!!
It depends on the state. Some states require titles for any year of car, some do not. Check with your local DMV to determine if a title is required for your year. Every state DMV has a website that should provide the info (though it may take some searching).
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:46 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I know that rhode island did not require a title after 10 years when I was there a number of years ago. I had a lot of fun trying to explain that to MD.
Larry
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM

Well everyone I truly do appreciate all of you input...I will let you know what Indiana says either tomorrow or Tuesday as they are closed Monday...anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the fourth...PS I was at the local car show at the town square tonight and you all should see some of the beauties that Northwest Indiana has for show!!! I am so excited to have a restore project...wish us luck at the DMV in the meantime!
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:08 PM

Pretty much all of New England says that a car over 10 years has no title. You need the bill of sale and a copy of the registration with both documents having the same name on them. If you bring in the title signed over then what they do is put the sale in the computer, print out your new registration, then rip up and throw out the title.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:53 AM

New York and I'm sure other states didn't use titles until 1973 before that the Registration was transferable.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:31 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE>>>looks like tuesday will be the big day for the DMV and me!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:47 AM
Cutlass Lover

I have The Prettiest One's original title - it came with the car. I'm not sure about Ohio's laws, but I've never been without a title from a previous owner before on any of my cars!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:09 AM

they did come with titles but its not 2 hard 2 get a new 1 if its lost, ive bought a few cars without titles as long as you have a bill of sale your good they will you some some paper work 2 fill out and your good 2 go!! if your really worried just take the seller 2 the dmv with you and do the paper work there
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Hey I thought I would chime in since I bought mine from Indy in November. Yes Indy has titles for 72 as mine came with it and was registered in Indy. Like a previous post recomended. have him go to the DMV with you.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

PS I was at the local car show at the town square tonight and you all should see some of the beauties that Northwest Indiana has for show!!!
nw indiana? town square? sounds like crown point...I am there almost every thursday,live just a few miles away.
stop and say hi if you ever see my gold 71
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:51 PM

W-30dreamin- we will definetly look for you...i can't recall seeing you there last thursday though...so is there a cutlass click that i can sign up for...we were gonna bring the car with us but she is still a little under the weather and without a title so maybe next time...see ya there, Diamond Jim's or around the square! Yeah I'm so excited to know someone is that close to us.
Old July 4th, 2010, 07:59 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

W-30dreamin- we will definetly look for you...i can't recall seeing you there last thursday though...so is there a cutlass click that i can sign up for...we were gonna bring the car with us but she is still a little under the weather and without a title so maybe next time...see ya there, Diamond Jim's or around the square! Yeah I'm so excited to know someone is that close to us.
Last thursday I had to park in the bank across from the square. I usually get there a little later because of work 6-7 pm.
Most of the time I can circle the square about 4 or 5 times and find a spot.
There is no official cutlass click,but there are a few people in the area that are into Olds's.
I'm looking foward to meeting you all. When you spot my car,please stop on bye.
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:03 PM

Yeah ME!!! The BMV was a piece of cake!!! It kinda helped having a newbie behind the desk...sucker...just joking...The car is now registered plated and titled...next a muffler and here we come Crown Point Square!
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Congrats to you!
Pretty soon you will be able to update the car-in-the-garage picture for one of you and the car out on the road somewhere or at a show!
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:28 AM

TRUE TRUE...plan is to work on her the rest of the summer, fall and winter and "spring" us from the garage for after pictures next year-Spring...but until than during pictures are always fun!
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:44 AM

W-30dreamin- Yeah I'm so excited to know someone is that close to us.
I am not near, but I do know for a fact that the original purchaser of my 1962 Dynamic 88 convertible was from Crown Point. I now live in WI, but was born and raised in Gary.

Enjoy your ride!
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM

WILL DO! first mission exhaust-flowmasters sound safe so that will be this coming weeks project...after mounting the plate!
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by bammax
Pretty much all of New England says that a car over 10 years has no title. You need the bill of sale and a copy of the registration with both documents having the same name on them. If you bring in the title signed over then what they do is put the sale in the computer, print out your new registration, then rip up and throw out the title.
I know this will have to change over time.
To me, I want a document that proclaims my ownership, other than a copy of registration, and a "bill of sale".
Out west here, you pretty much have NO business selling a car without a clear title. And it must be NOTARIZED by the seller, in person, in front of the notary.
I have walked away from people that did not have one.
There are only 2 kinds of people out here, that try to sell a car without a title...stupid people, or crooks. And the crooks act like stupid people.

With antique car prices as high as they are, I can not think why a state would be so arrogant as to reason the only car that would need one would be a new car. Hate to see anyone get taken in, by a con man, with a hot car.

Glad to see you got your Indiana title.

My thoughts
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; July 8th, 2010 at 06:55 AM.