Blower motor

Old November 28th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Blower motor

Got a odd one here.

It blows hot air, sometimes but other times it don't work on any setting. It doesn't work at all on "HI"

Plus I broke the grounding wire from the heater core area, is this the problem? (I kinda doubt that)

(85 Delta 88)
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

That is weird.

If I put my heater on HI, the power steering belt will screech insanely loud. and is deafning when I turn. Heater on LO, ..... not a peep.

Sounds like you have a bad connection in the system that is making contact, and then not. Perhaps like when you are hooking up speakers to the back of a home stereo and it crackles with sound for a sec and then silences.

The heater switch is controlled by cables if I remember correctly so I don't think the switch will go bad like a pwr window one would.
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Jim's rare 80

The ground at the heater core could be your problem for hi speed. Always repair any ground problem you may find. Sooo important.Also, check for a wire that runs from the relay to the drivers side firewall. There is a seperate wire from in the dash, to the blower relay for high speed. Usually red, or pink. Mine burnt in the dash, took forever to trace it. Check it out, and let us know.
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:16 AM

The alternator must run on the same belt .the short is causing a overload ,Check the connections around the back of the intake.these were known for getting hot & shorting Should be a heavy red wire
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's rare 80
The ground at the heater core could be your problem for hi speed. Always repair any ground problem you may find. Sooo important.Also, check for a wire that runs from the relay to the drivers side firewall. There is a seperate wire from in the dash, to the blower relay for high speed. Usually red, or pink. Mine burnt in the dash, took forever to trace it. Check it out, and let us know.
I had the same problem in my 79 Holiday 88. I replaced all the connections on that line. Blower motor and heater work great now!
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
Got a odd one here.

It blows hot air, sometimes but other times it don't work on any setting. It doesn't work at all on "HI"

Plus I broke the grounding wire from the heater core area, is this the problem? (I kinda doubt that)

(85 Delta 88)
Yea, you need to fix the ground for sure. All I can refer to is my 70 delta. I had numerous heater, and fan issues with it. Mine uses a relay with resistors for various speeds other than hi, in hi it bypasses the relay, and uses straight alternator voltage I can hear it change speeds in hi when I accel or decel. The hi speed has a seperate fuse inline, ONE of the problems I had with not working in hi, was the fuse holder was bad, but defianatley fix the ground wire.