anyone ever change a rear seal without pulling the engine?

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2014, 02:40 PM
RXN

Question anyone ever change a rear seal without pulling the engine?

this is on a 1958 371

My rear seal is leaking, I figured I'd change it out. Jacked up the car, drained the oil, pulled off the lower flywheel cover. pulled all bolts out of the oil pan. but the pan won't pull out. the exhaust cross over is in the way. I thought about pulling it, But I don't want to pull it to find out that the steering rod (for the tie rods) may be in the way.

Has anyone successfully dropped the oil pan with out pulling the engine. Or am i making a trip into town to buy an engine hoist?
Old August 16th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you don't have a shop manual, get one. It should tell you the procedure. Somebody on here will probably speak up and let you know.
Old August 16th, 2014, 03:20 PM

On a 55 you can squeeze the pan down and to one side by unbolting the motor mounts and jacking the motor up till it hits the firewall and if you are a contortionist with tiny fingers you can do it. The last one that was installed in my car went in that way, but not by me who has fat fingers and can't touch his toes. A neoprene gasket was used, may be harder with a rope seal I don't know....Tedd
Old August 16th, 2014, 03:26 PM

When I was younger I did a few, but no Olds. Messy and dirty. There used to be some special tools for this, made by Lisle I think. They had a chinese finger sort of puller to work the upper rope in. Unless the leak is extreme I wouldn't do it. Of course I had no lift.
X2 on reading the manual.
Old August 16th, 2014, 03:29 PM
RXN

i pulled out my books, says i need to remove the exhaust crossover and unbolt the idler arm support from the frame,

Heading back out to try it.
Old August 18th, 2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by m371961
When I was younger I did a few, but no Olds. Messy and dirty. There used to be some special tools for this, made by Lisle I think. They had a chinese finger sort of puller to work the upper rope in. Unless the leak is extreme I wouldn't do it. Of course I had no lift.
X2 on reading the manual.
I could be wrong on this but I seem to remember it being called a slim jim or something like it. I also remember a tool that would take a thread/ cord and thread it around the journal to add material to a flattened rope seal, looked like a curved needle, I haven't seen or heard of one of those in years....Tedd
Old August 18th, 2014, 04:48 PM

In one of the post above ,a Chinese finger type of puller was mentioned.It was known as a
"Sneaky Pete" and I believe they are still available online. Just google "Sneaky Pete" Rear main seal tool. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; August 18th, 2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Add info
Old August 18th, 2014, 05:01 PM

That was it.Slim Jim was a little off, thanks for the remembrance...Tedd
Old August 18th, 2014, 05:37 PM

Tedd,the "Slim Jim" that I remember was Oldsmobile's least popular transmission in most of our opinions.The "sneaky Pete " on the other hand was a very useful tool in the past to save time, and make it possible to repair rear main leaks without removing the engine.Don't worry,I think we all have a little case of "sometimers" at times ,I know I'm guilty. Larry
Old August 23rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
RXN

I ended up just changing the lower half. the groove walls are more "dove tailed" then straight walls, so feeding the rope around was not going to work, had to press the rope into the groove on the cap.

But seems to have worked, ran it for a minutes last night, no leak. Taking it into town today, see what happens.

I was surprised, the oil pan had very little sludge build up. the back main lower half looked like new, never pulled the upper half. The cranks shaft looked and felt great as well. really good shape. The oil pump screen was dirty and needed cleaning. outside of that, its in great shape.
Old September 20th, 2014, 05:04 AM

Replaced one on a 283 chevy years back. You have to turn the crank as you pull the chinese handcuff tool with the rope seal in it. Then you have to trim the seal with a razor blade flush with the block. A two man job and not too much fun.