55 88 lower fender attachment

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2015 | 05:05 AM

55 88 lower fender attachment

Have been working on this 55 88 custom for a few years, the car was apart when I bought it and it's my first 50's Olds.

Getting ready for final bodywork and wanted to align the panels for a final mock-up and can't figure out how the lower fender attaches to the rocker flanges.

I had to fabricate the "L" shaped brackets due to rust but the I had one to measure and they are correct dimensionally. My problem is if I bolt the brackets to the rocker flange and line up the fender with the rocker, the bolt holes in the bottom of the fender are at least 1/4" from lining up with the bracket.

It's the same on both sides.....what gives? Is there some sort of spacer? Can't find any detail in the manual.

I guess I can make new brackets with a longer horizontal leg.
Old September 3rd, 2015 | 11:10 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Dear Jowz,

It's amazing. I just repainted my lower fender brackets and took pictures today. Can't really tell dimentions, but they are very original for a 55 Holiday 88. Let me know if I can take measurements for you.

Old September 4th, 2015 | 07:16 AM

DFitz,

Thanks for replying.....

Looks like I had the incorrect "original" bracket somehow. Clearly from your pictures I need to make the horizontal leg longer.

Would you be able to measure from the vertical rocker mounting surface out to the center of the holes that the fender bolts into?

A scale or tape measure should be accurate enough as the adjustment holes are pretty large.

Thanks again!

Joe
Old September 4th, 2015 | 11:07 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by jozw30
DFitz,

Thanks for replying.....

Looks like I had the incorrect "original" bracket somehow. Clearly from your pictures I need to make the horizontal leg longer.

Would you be able to measure from the vertical rocker mounting surface out to the center of the holes that the fender bolts into?

A scale or tape measure should be accurate enough as the adjustment holes are pretty large.

Thanks again!

Joe

Joe, I'd be glad to. And yes, those holes are huge. I guess tolerances back in the day were, "That looks about right!" I suppose the sheet metal may have been slightly different depending on trim or the factory and how things lined up. Mine is a Kansas City car.

In my picture you can see a little jog in the flange the L bracket bolts to. It's about 1/8" jog inboard.

The hole centerline from the vertical face of the mounting flange, 1 1/4".
From the forward edge of the rocker panel, hole centerlines, 1 1/8" and 2 1/2".

Good luck with the new brackets.

Last edited by DFitz; September 4th, 2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old September 4th, 2015 | 11:39 AM

Perfect! Thanks for your help!!

Joe