74 Delta 88 Car Cover????

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2015, 04:40 PM

74 Delta 88 Car Cover????

So for now the olds will be sitting outside (on concrete) and I have one of those clear plastic elastic thingy covers to keep water off of it. Is there any type of water proof cover cover I can get, that will fit on top of that?
I like the old girl but I just grabbed a like new 95 trans Am Convert (5.7 6sp) with 36k on it and then my wifes Convt XK8 Jag that also sits in the garage so the olds it odd man out.
Any thing I can do to cover it when needed. WIll it hurt to leave that plastic cover over it. I leave the windows down 4 inches or so plus the thing blowing around a little I would think it is "BREATHING" some???
Old September 8th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Big Sky car covers. Very good products.

I'd rethink the plastic cover especially if you live in a hot or wet micro climate. Plastic will trap moisture underneath as well as shed it from on top. Also roll up the windows to prevent damp from getting into the car and creating mold and mildew.
Old September 8th, 2015, 10:44 AM

i saw all types of covers on Ebay. Seems the more LAYERS it has the better it is at keeping out rain! Does Big Sky have them that will cover the whole car.
How do they breath but not let water/moister in???

Last edited by 1yesfan; September 8th, 2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old September 8th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't know. Google them. The alternative to a car cover is a portable garage. They are available in several sizes and are made of a Mylar fabric. Sort of like a mini barn to shelter your ride from weather and sun. Also,helps prevent some dry rot on rubber parts.

As far as do more layers prevent moisture penetration? Not necessarily. There are several types listed on BSCC that will walk you through making that choice. I called them and they were extremely good with understanding my needs and selecting the right cover. That's why I give their name as a recommendation. I'm very happy with their product. One advantage I have though is my car stays in the garage and is covered at all times it's not being worked on or driven.
Old September 8th, 2015, 11:17 AM

I have thought of the cheaper solution of portable garage. But where I would want to keep it is over GRASS which I know is not good for the bottom of the car. If I were to put down a good layer of rock to park it over would that help keep the moisture off the bottom.
Old September 8th, 2015, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 1yesfan
If I were to put down a good layer of rock to park it over would that help keep the moisture off the bottom.
No. The rock layer is porous as moisture can get between the rocks. You would have to first put down a moisture barrier of some type, such as a sheet of plastic, then the put the rocks or whatever over that. But then the rock layer is really more decorative than anything else, although it would protect the plastic layer from being damaged by the car tires being driven directly on it.