1974 Olds 350 Rocket carb upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2015, 03:09 PM

1974 Olds 350 Rocket carb upgrade???

While my car is running decently for a orig old car is there a upgrade newer carb that is a direct bolt that will still allow me to run the orig air cleaner setup?
Yes yes I know you all have seen me banging away at keeping my car orig but I am thinking next spring I may get something that is better if it is out there.
Old October 31st, 2015, 07:33 AM
Oldsdruid

Its original QuadraJet will be the overall best carb for it. Everything is calibrated for the engine it's sitting on. A Holley/Edelbrock is by nature generically calibrated to work with many different engines and the jetting etc may not be optimal for your car. Meaning performance and economy might suffer.

Have your original carb done by a quality rebuilder- no off the shelf parts store job unless you can get one thru the Holley Pro Shop. I've had reasonable success with those.

The other option is a fuel injection conversion but those ain't cheap and require a microprocessor to run.

I'm thinking since all these driveability problems surfaced after you changed to the 195 t-stat, that you're boiling the fuel in the carb bowl from all the extra heat. Ethanol fuel exacerbates the problem.
Old October 31st, 2015, 06:41 PM

The carb prob could use a rebuild just cause it is old but it runs fine till it sits and heats up while idling and one time after sitting at a light and she got hot it stumbled a few times driving home. Once it has cooled off you can drive the hell out of it till it gets hot again and you get stuck at a long light or you let it sit for a bit while you are in the house or what ever..