1973 Delta 88 a chance..

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM

1973 Delta 88 a chance..

To buy one with PW and PL, black vinyl top, AC 455, wih turbo 400 trans with 112k body is straight except for small dent on rear tail light housing, for $600 it runs and drives good, anything I should look for? There is some rust bubbles ounder the vinyl roof

Also these have the same suspension and brakes as the 73 Impala right as far as interchanging parts?

Here are some images the hinges are worn on the hood but it does close flat and correctly just have to push down on the back of the hod and it closes right.

Old June 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM

Thats a great buy! The engine and tranny are easly worth that much or more if its a good runner. This will make a nice project. What are your plans for her.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Really to just make it a nice cruiser try and revive the paint and freshen up the interior later on maybe redo the suspension. For the post part I just wanted to make it a nice cruiser maybe put some different wheels (NO DONKS!) and just enjoy!

I think I will go pick it up tonight or tomorrow!
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM

When you get it home if you want to make a list of odds and ends you need have I got a deal for you! I've made a commitment to buy a 1973 Olds 98 4 door hardtop. The car has been sitting in a pasture with goats nibbling on the vinyl top for the last two years, so it's in parts car status. It belonged to his late grandmother but they've since lost the title. I'm focused on the engine as it's a nice running 455. I have promised one other person first shot at odds and ends, your welcome to be next in line for parts. Price would be cover my time to pull and ship the items, I'd like to see as much as possible saved before it goes to the scrap yard. I need to make room in the driveway so he's agreed to wait until the second weekend of July to deliver it. Keep me in mind! John
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Very cool car. It will make a nice cruiser. Those wheel covers remind me of the car Stallone drove in the movie Cobra.
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
When you get it home if you want to make a list of odds and ends you need have I got a deal for you! I've made a commitment to buy a 1973 Olds 98 4 door hardtop. The car has been sitting in a pasture with goats nibbling on the vinyl top for the last two years, so it's in parts car status. It belonged to his late grandmother but they've since lost the title. I'm focused on the engine as it's a nice running 455. I have promised one other person first shot at odds and ends, your welcome to be next in line for parts. Price would be cover my time to pull and ship the items, I'd like to see as much as possible saved before it goes to the scrap yard. I need to make room in the driveway so he's agreed to wait until the second weekend of July to deliver it. Keep me in mind! John
As a matter of fact I will be hitting you up with a list there are 2 things in particular that I need. PM SENT
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM

I got your pm but just noticed the California plates on you 88. Where are you located? I'm in Medford Oregon, just 30 miles north of the Oregon/California border. John
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I got your pm but just noticed the California plates on you 88. Where are you located? I'm in Medford Oregon, just 30 miles north of the Oregon/California border. John
I am located in Southern California about 35 minutes east of LA in Fontana.
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Ok I finally pulled the trigger and got her home! I LOVE this body style! This makes my 2nd Olds (first one is 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass 2 door) So I decided to post some pictures after I got it to the house so here you go, I pulled the "flaming" tint off the front windows (somebody thought it was a throw back to the rat rod era), I even found a trim sheet in the door this car is all original! It even has an electronic trunk pop in the glove box from the factory! So enough chatter here is my new edition to the family!!!

Last edited by gthmcty1; June 29th, 2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:15 AM

Congrats on the new family addition. like those big cars
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Greetings from Mo Valley looks like a nice car to restore.
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

73' is a Pretty year for those. I wish they made a wrap up bumper like the 72 cutlasses for the 73 88. It would look so much smoother in my opinion.

I always found it odd that the grille lines were divided straight across, like a moustache on a supermodel in a magazine at the dentist's office.

Also, I haven't seen a pair of those
pizza cutter/moondisc wheelcovers in a long time.
I had almost forgotten about them, thanks for the memories.
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Looks better already!! I wish I still had my 72. I love those big cars, They make great cruisers. You don't see many around anymore. My hats off to ya for preserving a fine *** automobile! Good luck with it.
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
73' is a Pretty year for those. I wish they made a wrap up bumper like the 72 cutlasses for the 73 88. It would look so much smoother in my opinion.

I always found it odd that the grille lines were divided straight across, like a moustache on a supermodel in a magazine at the dentist's office.

Also, I haven't seen a pair of those
pizza cutter/moondisc wheelcovers in a long time.
I had almost forgotten about them, thanks for the memories.
Anytime!!

Originally Posted by FATRATMATT
Looks better already!! I wish I still had my 72. I love those big cars, They make great cruisers. You don't see many around anymore. My hats off to ya for preserving a fine *** automobile! Good luck with it.
Thanks plan on making it a nice cruiser via "low buck" but man I love the way these cars look! Suspension is next!!!