1964 Jetstar 88 Holiday

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
64jetstar

1964 Jetstar 88 Holiday

Ok...I bought this car and love it....I am looking for some interior for it. Dash pad and rear deck. I would really like to just get a collection of spare parts to have....let me know what ya got!

I also need a radiator for this car....having a hard time finding anything here around Albany Oregon where I live. Not like the novas and chevelles...lol

Also looking to do disk breaks on this car.....what other cars suspention would work? if any....

Im new to the olds world took a break from the chevys and went with this 64 holiday.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Oldsdruid

Dash pad can come off any full-size 64 Olds. 88, 98, Starfire.

If it's a 2-door, a repro package tray for an Impala or Pontiac Catalina/Bonneville fits. Not sure if they're making them for four-doors yet. Same with weatherstripping as they are all considered GM B-body cars.

Other interior and exterior trim is pretty much the same as any 1964 88. There are some differences in rear end and interior trim on Supers.

Radiator is probably going to have to be a recore. Any good radiator shop should be able to get a core and transfer your original tanks to it. You need to remember that a 1964 J-88 with 330 engine has its own one-year-only water pump, that the lower hose is on the driver's side. If you're not obsessed with originality, you might want to get the rad shop to move the lower hose connection to the passenger side so you can use a 65-later water pump and lower hose (which are much easier to find).

Don't hold me to this, but a Jetstar 88 should use the same disc brake kit as the same year Impala. They had lighter duty underpinnings than Dynamic/Super 88s and use the small 4-3/4" GM wheel bolt pattern same as Chevy. They have their own steering knuckles, not shared with Cutlass/F85 or the other big cars.

www.scarebird.com or www.discbrakemike.com will be good parts and info sources for such a conversion.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:54 PM

I don't think you are going to get any Chevy kits to fit your Oldsmobile. The full sized Oldsmobiles in 64 were rear steer, meaning the pitman arm was behind the centerlink. This caused the spindles to be different than most of the other Oldsmobile cars. I have heard that Disc Brake Mike is a good place to start. It just won't be something that you can buy in a box and bolt on.

You should look at Fusicks and Kanter for various parts for your car.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:20 AM
Oldsdruid

Scarebird's 61-69 big car kit is based on a 5x5 bolt pattern. Since J-88 use 4-3/4 BP and a knuckle that the tierod arms bolt onto instead of being part of the forging, that's why I think a Chevy kit will work.

Although I've finally accepted the Jetstar 88 for what it was (a big Olds for people who didn't want the big engine), for years I didn't think too highly of them because of their Chevrolet underpinnings. Still not sure 9-1/2" brakes are adequate for a full-size Oldsmobile.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:38 AM
"me somebody" site member

Here's a guy on Ebay selling a disk brake kit which according to the title will fit a '64-'66 Jetstar 88. You may want to contact him to ask some questions. Interestingly, he mentions the J88 in the title, but in the description mentiones just about every car BUT! Interesting, nevertheless.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...Q5fAccessories
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:54 AM

Give scarebird a call. Great guys and they will answer any questions you have. I am installing their front and rear disc brakes kits on my 57 Olds. Their shop is only a mile from where I live
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:19 AM
64jetstar

Thanks everyone!

As much as I love this car....Im looking into selling it...or trading it.....Im not in any huge hurry...but love the 67-68-69's

Just like that body styles!

I plan on getting started on this car in May if I still have it....I do like the car.