1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 VIN Location(s)

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2018, 06:39 PM

Thumbs up 1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 VIN Location(s)

I read a thread on here somewhere about the 1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 (Coupe) maybe having only one VIN number located on the drivers side door pillar. Can someone confirm that there is in fact only one VIN number for this year. I have an appointment with CHP (so cal) next month to have TWO VIN numbers located on the car as AAA/DMV would not give me a title with only one VIN #. They advised me that since it was bought outside of California they need to verify two VIN numbers on the car. I've searched all over the internet and still cant find any information on this. I just ordered the shop manuals that may or may not contain this information. Hopefully I'm not "beating a dead horse" here because I seen several posts about VIN numbers but can't seem to locate my year....maybe i missed it.

Anyway, I just bought the car for my dad and will present it to him on his bday (thanksgiving). He had one in his 20's and states he really liked that car to of all the cars he owned. I don't remember much of it as was only about three years old when he had it, as verified in some family pictures. He sold it after owning it for about five years due to a move. He will be turning 72 this week....still going strong and working as he states he can't just sit around.

If anyone can help me out i would really appreciate it. I will post pictures soon after I download them to my computer.

Thanks,
Richard
Old November 17th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Phantom Phixer

On a ;62 Olds fullsize There are two other complete VIN numbers .
They are stamped on the outside of the RH frame rail that connects the front and rear torque boxes .
They are stamped front and rear , about in the area of the torque box .
They may be difficult to read , as they are covered by the inside rocker panel .
However you should be able to read them with a small mirror and a flashlight .
If the frame is dirty and rusty , you may need to sand it with a paint paddle wrapped with sandpaper .
Old November 18th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Good morning Charlie and thanks for the quick reply.

I was in the garage this morning and located one 5 Digit number stamped on the RH frame rail. It was between the rocker panel on the outside area of the front torque box location. I sanded and cleaned other areas on the RH frame rail up to the rear torque box but did not locate any other numbers.

Richard
Old November 18th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Beers
Good morning Charlie and thanks for the quick reply.

I was in the garage this morning and located one 5 Digit number stamped on the RH frame rail. It was between the rocker panel on the outside area of the front torque box location. I sanded and cleaned other areas on the RH frame rail up to the rear torque box but did not locate any other numbers.

Richard
That's the number . Sometimes they are stamped very lightly , so you may have to sand a lot if the frame is rusty . Do the five digits match part of the VIN ?

If the DOT requires two VIN numbers , then THEY should know where to find them !

Old November 19th, 2018, 08:07 AM

Unfortunately the number that I found is nowhere close to my VIN number. Im going to have to wait for CHP to call me back or just sign off as is if i cannot locate another VIN for DMV. Im just hoping that they don't give me a hard time and make it more difficult mohave the car registered.

Thanks

Richard