1959 Super 88 four door hard top?

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Isn't the master cylinder on the 59 mounted on the firewall? I know it was on the Chevy. If so, there would me no treadle vac. It would just have a regular booster if it has power brakes. Twintracks you have more courage than I do. I shipped mine to Karps Power Brake Service in California and had it rebuilt. He did a great job and put a stainless sleeve in the cylinder. Not cheap but lots of piece of mind.

Last edited by redoldsman; November 8th, 2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old November 8th, 2014, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by twintracks
I rebuilt the treadle-vac on my '55 98 myself with the kit from Fusick. It was no more difficult than rebuilding a carb. To me, stock is always simpler than modified. If you go that route, be sure to order the flexible brake hose that connects the treadle-vac to the hard lines.
Thanks for the input. I have been doing some research too, still up in the air on what to do with it. I'm concerned about the safety aspect of the single reservoir MC and I have read a bunch of threads talking about inconsistent braking with the treadle vac. But I do agree with you, that more (correctly functioning) original items on the car is simpler.
Old November 8th, 2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Isn't the master cylinder on the 59 mounted on the firewall? I know it was on the Chevy. If so, there would me no treadle vac. It would just have a regular booster if it has power brakes. Twintracks you have more courage than I do. I shipped mine to Karps Power Brake Service in California and had it rebuilt. He did a great job and put a stainless sleeve in the cylinder. Not cheap but lots of piece of mind.
It is a treadle vac. Weird looking booster mounted on the toe board portion of the firewall below the steering column. There are unused cut outs and holes on the firewall that look like they should mount a standard MC and/or booster. Guessing the pedal assembly would have to be changed as well. I'm going to have to look into it a little more, but one would think the pedal and MC/booster assembly from another 59'-60' GM car would interchange? I think Olds was the only one using the treadle vac in this era.
Old November 8th, 2014, 09:33 PM

They used 2 versions of the Treadle Vac..the AC one and the Moraine one.
And yes it is mounted under the steering column.
Old November 9th, 2014, 06:35 AM

What do you guys who have an operating treadle vac think of them? Should I get rid of it as part of my planned brake upgrades? I'm going disc in front and rebuild everything in back.
Old November 9th, 2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman

I just like knowing how things work. Mine was clean as a whistle inside, so I ordered the kit. If I were to have found it to be rusty, I would have sent it to a professional. As it was, a few seals, and some new clamps, and she was good to go. I spent more time painting the case, than the time the rebuild took. Then, when I got it back in place the hose was leaking, so out it came again... I also replaced all of the wheel cylinders, and flex hoses. She locks them up now if I stand on it!
Old November 9th, 2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by CreepyOldGuy
What do you guys who have an operating treadle vac think of them? Should I get rid of it as part of my planned brake upgrades? I'm going disc in front and rebuild everything in back.

If you are changing to front discs, you will need a dual chamber master cylinder. You'll be doing a lot of reengineering. I don't know if a dual chamber MC can be adapted to a treadle vac. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I don't know what kind of driving you do, or what kind of traffic you will face. I do know that the stock components in working order will stop the car just fine, especially with radial tires. No need to argue the merits of brake upgrades. I understand that discs & a dual system is much safer. That's why I keep my emergency brake in working order, and practice using it.
Jerry
Old November 9th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you are going to disk brakes, I think you will just about have to get away from the treadle vac. I would think on a 59 it would be fairly easy to adapt a swinging pedal and conventional booster and master cylinder. What you are at it you could use a dual master cylinder which give you added safety of a split system.
Old November 10th, 2014, 09:03 AM

My master cylinder, etc is just below the steering column as lazy says. I decided to convert to dot5 fluid and had rusty brake lines so I put in new lines and wheel cylinders. I removed the master cylinder / vac assembly and cleaned and rebuilt the MC. Only took the vac boost assembly apart enough to get at the MC. I did regrease the vac assembly with the special grease (can't remember what it's called) when I put everything back together. Seems to work fine, stops on a dime. IMHO, I'd leave it original and avoid the reengineering headaches. It's really a good system.

I would ABSOLUTELY buy and follow the manual in doing all disassembly and reassembly. And i suggest taking twice as many pictures as you think you'll need, then take more. Every picture at every angle has helped me and I wish I would have taken 300 more.
John
Old November 10th, 2014, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the brake systems. I'm still undecided on which way to go with them, but appreciative of the info and taking it all in.
Old November 11th, 2014, 04:07 PM

I just received word that my offer has been accepted! I hope to get her home this weekend and get started.
Old November 11th, 2014, 05:15 PM
71 cutlass convertible

cool we need lots of pics, maybe start a build thread. Good luck with your new project.

Larry
Old November 12th, 2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
cool we need lots of pics, maybe start a build thread. Good luck with your new project.

Larry
I will most certainly start a build thread. I might do a journal on my website too, I will provide a link here if I decide to do such.
Old December 9th, 2014, 06:29 PM

I ran into a title snag with the purchase of this car. Finally worked it out and will be picking it up this weekend.

I did make a road trip this weekend to grab the wheels off the car. I need to find some used tires before picking it up. The 40 year old dry rotted tires were a mess, no way I would get it on a trailer without tearing up the car and/or trailer. I was able to check out the car closer, finally able to look underneath. I am very happy with my purchase, the car looks great underneath, no rust, it's all there! Excited to get her home.
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:35 PM

Im guessing it has a clear title?
Old December 10th, 2014, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by steverw
Im guessing it has a clear title?
Yes, I do have a clear title. The person on the title passed away many years ago so we were having a difficult time getting it notarized. We have it figured out now.
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:14 AM

Good luck on your new purchase, you have just joined the ranks of the crazy Oldsmobile restorers and your life will never be the same. Road trips are now parts scrounging events and when the kids and wife start doing the who can spot the first Oldsmobile as you travel down the free way you will know that the whole family is now edicted to the Oldsmobile bug, a good but expensive disease.

Keep us posted on your on your travels through this build, the pictures you take now will forever be cherished, probably more so than the finished car, you can always take a new picture of a completed car , hard to review that old rusted hulk you started with after its all shinny and clean .

Sounds like you have done this before (not your first rodeo) but when finished I'll bet this car will be the one that stands out among all the rest, not many restore four doors and some day this will truly be rare and unique car.

Have fun with this build..... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old December 13th, 2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Good luck on your new purchase, you have just joined the ranks of the crazy Oldsmobile restorers and your life will never be the same. Road trips are now parts scrounging events and when the kids and wife start doing the who can spot the first Oldsmobile as you travel down the free way you will know that the whole family is now edicted to the Oldsmobile bug, a good but expensive disease.

Keep us posted on your on your travels through this build, the pictures you take now will forever be cherished, probably more so than the finished car, you can always take a new picture of a completed car , hard to review that old rusted hulk you started with after its all shinny and clean .

Sounds like you have done this before (not your first rodeo) but when finished I'll bet this car will be the one that stands out among all the rest, not many restore four doors and some day this will truly be rare and unique car.

Have fun with this build..... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Tedd, Thanks for the well wishes! I'm looking forward to starting work on the Olds.

Yes, I have restored a few old cars in my time, but it has been awhile. My "project" cars over the last 15 yrs or so have been modern rice burner stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on some American steel!!!

I will take plenty of pics and document my build. I bought a .com today to document this build - rocketengineolds.com it is not up yet, sometime after the holiday's.
Old December 13th, 2014, 06:14 PM

Brought her home today

A couple of pics from picking her up below. I'm going to take a bunch of "before" pictures tomorrow and start cleaning her up. That is if the weather cooperates, snow in the forecast.

The more I look over the car, the more happy I am with it. I love the way it looks. Everything underneath look fantastic, no signs of rust on the frame very little of the body. Some of the trim needs help, but I knew this before purchase. The engine is free, oil and ATF look surprisingly clean for sitting for 40 yrs, no signs of any contamination. Excited to work on it! I will start a build thread and post more pics tomorrow.

Trailer pre-inspection by the local farm goat.

Installing tires/wheels and getting ready to load

Ready for the ride home!