Head and Tail bearings? Pinion bearings?

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2010, 06:21 PM

Head and Tail bearings? Pinion bearings?

Head and Tail bearings are other names for 'pinion bearings' correct? I just disassembled my rear end today, and wasn't sure. If this is so, and if I am seeing things correctly, the only races that remain are the pinion races? Is there a trick to tap them out?

Also... when I removed the carrier unit, the outer races fell out which seemed normal since they were loose... but there was a narrow taper ended ring on the outside of both left and right carrier bearings. What are they called? Spacers of some sort?

Another question... can I have my driveshaft and rear end yoke blasted and 'powdercoated'? Any issues with the smooth parts the seals go on? I don't want them blasted or painted obviously. I want to have the rear end housing powdercoated also.

Thx.

Last edited by oldzy; September 12th, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Yes,the head & tail are another name for the pinion bearings.I refer to them as inner & outer.
Those "rings" on each side of the carrier,are the factory shims.There is little to no chance that you will reuse those,as each gearset is different,as well as each carrier.The assortment of carrier shims in any of the install kits will replace those.