Stripped oil fill plug

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2019, 04:34 PM

Stripped oil fill plug

I have a 50 year old Olds rear end and the oil fill plug is stripped. It is the 3/8 square size hole that is a bit rounded. Any ideas on how to get it out so I can replace it? I was thinking of welding a 3/8 adapter in but I believe the diff is cast correct? I know the tubes are steel but not sure about the differential? Any ideas?
Old October 5th, 2019, 04:51 PM

Try epoxying the bit into the plug, let it dry for a couple of days and try to remove it if it cannot be welded to.

Good luck!!!
Old October 5th, 2019, 05:04 PM

Differential case is cast iron. The plug will be steel.

I just did this on a transfer case less than a week ago. Some moron rounded-out the 10mm hex Allen recess by--probably--trying to use a worn-out 3/8 Allen socket. I had to weld a bolt to the recess in the plug, and then wrench on the bolt head to unscrew it.

I've become very fond of installing brass plugs where the steel plug used to be--but brass doesn't grow on trees, and anyway my transfer case plug is metric--it's hard enough finding the proper metric plug in steel never mind trying to get one in brass.
Old October 5th, 2019, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
Differential case is cast iron. The plug will be steel.

I just did this on a transfer case less than a week ago. Some moron rounded-out the 10mm hex Allen recess by--probably--trying to use a worn-out 3/8 Allen socket. I had to weld a bolt to the recess in the plug, and then wrench on the bolt head to unscrew it.

I've become very fond of installing brass plugs where the steel plug used to be--but brass doesn't grow on trees, and anyway my transfer case plug is metric--it's hard enough finding the proper metric plug in steel never mind trying to get one in brass.
Thanks for that! I was thinking ever since I posted and I thought the same thing about the plug itself being steel and weldable, you confirm that and I will try welding a short fat bolt in there and see what happens.