Pinion seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Pinion seal replacement

On this and other forums, I've read the term "stake the nut" in reference to replacing the pinion nut but I'm not sure I know what this means. Can anyone describe what this is? Thanks much
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Using a metal center punch and a hammer indent the edge of the pinion at the inside edge on the pinion nut.
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:46 AM

I wouldn't center punch the outer lip of the nut into the pinion stem today. Blue Loctite is much better.
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM

stake it

I will have to disagree

I stake all the nuts street or race. Take NO chances as lock tight just is NOT as good as you think. You will NOT ruin your pinion as it is hardened and the nut is softer material .. Crush the nut into the thread of the pinion about 2-3 spots.

AGAIN it is your vehicles and you have the choice to do what you want...This method is great for reusing a pinion NUT (not advised but again I understand how life goes.) New nuts have a crush to them already.

Remember too that after you remove the nut and install a new seal if you do not use a new crush sleeve they is NO pinion nut torque spec. re tighten the nut so the bearing has a slight drag and leave it.
ONCE MORE: I do not recommend this act, you should always use a new crush sleeve and nut when replacing a seal...AGAIN I do understand life and this is the reason for the info. STAKE THE NUT!

TIP: The 150-200 foot lbs. torque is for crushing the crush sleeve. So unless you use a new crush sleeve the pinion nut torque WILL NOT APPLY.

Last edited by monzaz; December 1st, 2009 at 07:33 AM.