Pinion seal R&R questions

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Registered car nut

Pinion seal R&R questions

I've searched but yet to find answers for all my questions.

If the pinion is worn from the seal is there a sleeve? Or a seal that rides in a slightly different spot?

I have no interest in redoing this 8.2 in my 65 Cutlass i just want it to stop dripping till I can afford the 12 bolt swap.

How hard is it to "feel" the point before the crush sleeve gives. Don't want to mess it up. 100 ft.lbs. safe?

Thanks in advance.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:11 PM

They do make redi-sleeves for the pinion yokes.I also like to smear a thin film of rtv on the outer diameter of the new pinion seal,just to make sure there aren't any leaks between the seal shell,and the housing bore.
You will feel the crush sleeve when you get to it.
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM

MORE rear help

Crush sleeve -
THERE IS NO torque rating for the crush sleeve. Each one will be slightly different -
Just keep tightening the NEW crush sleeve till there is NO MORE play in the pinion bearings and then work the nut a bit further till the spinning INCH POUND torque rate is accomplished usually 20-25 inch pounds of turning / spinning torque (this is a constant spinning rate NOT A CLICK type torque rating for a bolt that gets stretched. )

IF you are NOT understanding this you might want to get local help or call so I can explain further or let someone else handle this install.

What yoke is it you have... If you have the 8620 seal I do not believe there is a repair sleeve for that yoke...The Pontiac and 8.5 will share the same repair sleeve for the yoke as they use the same 2043 seal.

HOW bad is the yoke groove...??? Usually a new seal will get you by for a while ...It would have to be REAL grooved like .020 to leak bad. Also the seal will have 2 lip edges that seal too.

Jim
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Registered car nut

Thanks for the reply's. I understand the crush sleeve principle. However I only want to replace the seal. I thought it can be done w/o a new crush sleeve? If that means questionable longevity I'm o.k. with that.
As for the groove? Just wanting to be prepared. Not apart yet.
Old July 7th, 2011, 01:17 PM

You can leave it all together with the existing crush sleeve.just remove the pinion nut & pinion,replace the seal,and reinstall.
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:47 PM

check the diff vent,if it is pluged it can cause a good seal to leak.