Diff I.D.

Old October 7th, 2018, 05:32 PM

Diff I.D.

Hello,
have a '69 Cutlass S that appears to have an oil leak @ the left axle. The plan is to replace axle seals/bearings (at least) @ both axles given I don't know the history of this vehicle.
I have not removed the diff cover (12 bolts) yet but made a note of casting #'s on diff housing & am seeking some answers as what diff I have. @ bottom of diff housing there is stamped: 402227 & "CFD 1" across from it.
On the other side of diff housing is a large "P" & at top of diff housing there appears to be a 270 stamped there. In what I can gather from limited research this is the "O" type axle from 1970 (?). For the purpose of getting the correct
bearing/seal kit can anyone confirm this to be the case ? Apparently, if I were to get a bearing/seal kit for a '69 it would not fit due to design changes that occurred in 1970. Also, where would I find a kit for my application?
Many thanks
Old October 7th, 2018, 06:44 PM

You can easily pull an axle shaft and verify if it's an open bearing and seal pressed onto the shaft (1970 style) or a sealed bearing pressed onto the shaft and an oil seal pressed into the axle tube (1967-1969 style).
Old October 7th, 2018, 07:13 PM

Oiled or seald bearing

Going by the casting numbers does not always work. Best way is always Physical pulling of the axle shaft as stated.
402227 - is supposed to be a 1970 casting... which means usually a OILED bearing system with the seal ON the axle shaft out board the bearing.
If you need bearings and seals for either we have the kits
for one side or both sides for sealed or oiled which ever you have.
Just PM and will help. You can send pictures if you are still unsure after pulling the axle shaft.
It is not a big deal - pull the tire pull the drum remove the 4 retaining nuts with the access drilled holes in the axle shaft wheel mounting flange and yank that axle out. Fluid should stal in as long as you jack only one side up at a time.
Jim
J D Race
Old October 8th, 2018, 06:40 AM

Gentlemen, thanks for the quick & informative responses. Will pull the axle shaft & inspect.