1970 Type "O" spider gears

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:22 PM

1970 Type "O" spider gears

Anyone know someone who may have new spider gears for a '68-'70 type "O" rear end? This is the one with the 12 bolt cover and the 10 bolt differential housing inside. I have this rear in my '66 Tempest wagon-installed about 25 years ago. Over the years I installed new bearings and seals, as well as 3.42 gears, the spider gears have a little too much play, would like to replace if I can find them. If not, I may install a posi unit from Liberty Gear. Thanks.
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:43 PM

spiders

I have a set of good used gears. Open diff 35.00 for a set. Jim
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:19 AM

Try Brian Trick here. He seems to be a wealth of knowledge and parts for rear diffs.
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:40 AM

12 bolt 'O'

Your really not going to find NEW spider gears for your 12 bolt 'O' type the last time the rear was produced was 1970...So the likely hood of someone saving a set of 'O' type spider gears is slim. Good used will hold up just fine and there are STILL PLENTY OUT THERE.

There are posi units too I make runs of posi units for sale - BUT have been holding off since all the Richmond gears are on HOLD from Motive who bought out Richmond gear.

Sooo. That is about it for your problem. You can also install a power trax to delete your open spider gears and make it posi with the same ring and pinion. This will give your car POSI action with out messing with any ring and pinion set-up. IT ONLY REPLACES THE SPIDER GEARS.

Take care, Jim
JD
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:48 AM

Do the spider gears actually look worn? It is probably the way they came originally,unless there is excessive wear on the teeth.You could shim a non-posi carrier,just like you would shim a posi carrier,by placing more shim behind the side gears.If you find that your gears are truly worn,I have them,but chances are,they are fine.
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM

I have one NOS O-axle spider gear . Box is old and falling apart but the gear is fine . Let me know if you still need it . BOB .
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by monzaz
Your really not going to find NEW spider gears for your 12 bolt 'O' type the last time the rear was produced was 1970...So the likely hood of someone saving a set of 'O' type spider gears is slim. Good used will hold up just fine and there are STILL PLENTY OUT THERE.

There are posi units too I make runs of posi units for sale - BUT have been holding off since all the Richmond gears are on HOLD from Motive who bought out Richmond gear.

Sooo. That is about it for your problem. You can also install a power trax to delete your open spider gears and make it posi with the same ring and pinion. This will give your car POSI action with out messing with any ring and pinion set-up. IT ONLY REPLACES THE SPIDER GEARS.

Take care, Jim
JD
May be interested in your used gears. Before I do that though, are you saying that they make a powertrax setup for this differential? I installed one some years ago for a friend of mine on a Chevrolet pickup with a 8.5 corporate rear, works very well. And on the gear problem, I may have another problem that may be amplifying the jolt I "feel" that I originally thought was excess play in the rear end. Seems my TH400 shifts abruptly into reverse. It doesn't do it going into drive, very smooth. Just when you first shift it into reverse it goes into it with a bang. Valve body calibration perhaps? Haven't had this particular unit in there long, I posted about this on Performance Years, and got some good feedback about it. Thinking of getting the Trans go 400RK kit installed that supposed to cushion the shift into reverse. Any thoughts?
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:39 PM

Troubles

Originally Posted by goatwgn
May be interested in your used gears. Before I do that though, are you saying that they make a powertrax setup for this differential? I installed one some years ago for a friend of mine on a Chevrolet pickup with a 8.5 corporate rear, works very well. And on the gear problem, I may have another problem that may be amplifying the jolt I "feel" that I originally thought was excess play in the rear end. Seems my TH400 shifts abruptly into reverse. It doesn't do it going into drive, very smooth. Just when you first shift it into reverse it goes into it with a bang. Valve body calibration perhaps? Haven't had this particular unit in there long, I posted about this on Performance Years, and got some good feedback about it. Thinking of getting the Trans go 400RK kit installed that supposed to cushion the shift into reverse. Any thoughts?
Well it sounds like you are just guessing what the problem is. You need to open the rear end and also you need to check both u-joints and the pinion nuts being loose. IF the pinion yoke comes in and out of the diff ...EVEN a little bit that will be the problem. NO up down or in out movement on the pinion yoke. ONLY turning motion is GOOD.
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Brand new driveshaft, yoke, u-joints from Denny's driveshaft. Nice piece by the way. Was told by the guy that set up the 3.42 gears I had installed in there that the spider gears were a little bit loose. Don't know how much, I haven't pulled the cover and looked. Pinion nut is tight, no apparent loose bearing or anything. This is a high mileage unit, and I have replaced everything in the rear except for the spider gears. Just was looking into installing a lower mileage set if available. The trans shifting hard into reverse is something I will have to address before I decide what to do about any "play" in the gears. Like you all stated, I might not need them at all. Intend on checking it when I get a few warm days. If I can get a Powertrax that fits, however, I will just go that route. Thanks.

Last edited by goatwgn; December 27th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:08 AM

Trans in revverse

Originally Posted by goatwgn
Brand new driveshaft, yoke, u-joints from Denny's driveshaft. Nice piece by the way. Was told by the guy that set up the 3.42 gears I had installed in there that the spider gears were a little bit loose. Don't know how much, I haven't pulled the cover and looked. Pinion nut is tight, no apparent loose bearing or anything. This is a high mileage unit, and I have replaced everything in the rear except for the spider gears. Just was looking into installing a lower mileage set if available. The trans shifting hard into reverse is something I will have to address before I decide what to do about any "play" in the gears. Like you all stated, I might not need them at all. Intend on checking it when I get a few warm days. If I can get a Powertrax that fits, however, I will just go that route. Thanks.
So it only bangs hard in reverse NOT drive? Hum. Some line pressure in the valve body etc. ? Not a tranny guy here.

The spiders I have should be much better I have 4-5 sets to choose from - But from the sounds of it you should be upgrading to a posi for all the other nice parts you have. PUT them to use. Jim

JD
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:28 AM

Lock-Rite # 1920LR for the O-axle open carriers,28-spline.This is the same unit for the 8.5" 10-bolt open carriers.