1970 type O axle bearing?

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2013, 07:14 PM

1970 type O axle bearing?

Hello all,

Got my 1970 type O axle completely overhauled, new paint, gears, posi, bearings, etc...everything went really smooth, the only area that i am having some concerns with is the axle bearings/seals. Got the new bearings seals and collars on, and when i slide them into place the seal sticks out a tube between 1/16" and 1/8", which i have been told is ok because the retainer is supposed to put some preload on the seal and bearing as it is tightened up, right?...

The concern i have is when i tighten the 4 bolts up on the retainer and draw the seal and bearing tight, i noticed there is still some end play with the axle. Basically i can push the axle in and out slightly (approximately .015"). The axle also has a small amount of play up and down aswell...Is this normal???

I am aware that there are 2 different seal options for the 1970 O axle (a thick and a thin) and i have the thicker one. Also as i tighten up the retainer it will actually start to bend some so i know the seal is tight against the bearing and the bearing outter race is all the way in. Am i being over worried with this end play or is something not right here???

thanks,
Zack
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:16 AM

axle bearings

you should be ok, The bearings are not the same as the sealed bearing - Seems all the A9 bearings these days are sloppier than they use to be. Seems the tolerances in the race channel have been getting wider causing this. I am keeping an eye on them to see if we have any issues.

I personally wish they would go back to the old Bower straight barrel type axle bearings - Old original ones.

Jim
J D
Old April 29th, 2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by monzaz
you should be ok, The bearings are not the same as the sealed bearing - Seems all the A9 bearings these days are sloppier than they use to be. Seems the tolerances in the race channel have been getting wider causing this. I am keeping an eye on them to see if we have any issues.

I personally wish they would go back to the old Bower straight barrel type axle bearings - Old original ones.

Jim
J D
Sounds good Jim...Ya, i noticed the original bearings that came out were a straight roller design where as the new ones are a tapered roller. Though they do have a lip on the outter race preventing the cup and cone from seperating like a normal timken style, so a little play may not hurt anything. I am assuming the straight roller in this size does not exist anymore huh..

Either way i'll keep you posted on how they hold up or if i have any issues with them. Thanks for the reply!

Zack
Old April 30th, 2013, 05:02 AM

Some originals are still floating around,but rather scarce.All the new ones are tapered roller. If you go to pull the axle back out,the race will probably stay in the axle tube. If you do that,check & see if the race is up against the end of the bore,or where the bore stops.It sounds like it is.
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Some originals are still floating around,but rather scarce.All the new ones are tapered roller. If you go to pull the axle back out,the race will probably stay in the axle tube. If you do that,check & see if the race is up against the end of the bore,or where the bore stops.It sounds like it is.
Yes i checked them and they are all the way in, thanks!...i'm going to run it through the break in period and check them periodically to see if the play grows any.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:29 AM

end play

That sounds like a smart thing to do. JIm