Beginning the journey

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2017, 04:44 PM

Beginning the journey

hello

new to the forum. My dad and I are getting ready to possible begin the journey of restoring his 71 cutlass supreme convertible. The car is 100% original with all numbers matching. 455 with a lot of the options that came on the 442 I believe

the car was garaged with a bent rod in 1983 and has stayed garaged ever since.

wondering what the current value of these machines are? We are expecting a total restoration tag of approx 20k.

Os that realistic going in? Also we are reluctant to modernize the drivetrain or braking system as I believe staying 100% original is the way to go. What are your thoughts?

the car has bucket seats with center console. A/c, power windows. It's the original matador red with white convertible top

thanks in advance for your thoughts. We are pretty excited to begin this long awaited journey!

michael
Old January 22nd, 2017, 04:58 PM

Welcome to CO

So is there a U in the VIN number? Post some pictures of the car and the cowl tag. We will tell you what the car came with, original color, etc. the 455 cars in convertible Is a good investment although the final value depends on the quality of the restoration and market at the time of sale. I'm sure you know that you will need to keep an eye on the cost of restoring it because spending 20-30 grand restoring it may or may not make it worth 30 grand. The numbers matching will help but before you jump in put it on a lift and check out the frame, underbody for rust. post questions and pictures if you need any help. Lots of people on here willing to help.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 05:04 PM

P.S. Enjoy this car

Don't through away any documents you find in the glove box, under the seats or tucked into the springs under the seats or on top the gas tank etc. Any history you have helps.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 05:11 PM

Many thanks

Originally Posted by Gary M
Don't through away any documents you find in the glove box, under the seats or tucked into the springs under the seats or on top the gas tank etc. Any history you have helps.
i will check the vin in the morning. I also believe I have the original window sticker in the gb. My dad is only the second owner. He bought the car in '77!

the frame and underbody was def going to be a driving factor in how far we take this project. Given it's been garaged I hope that puts the odds in our favor.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 05:21 PM

My car was a numbers matching 455 car. The one you got being in a garage all this time and second owner is awesome. It will help with the value. The best part though is that you are doing this with your dad. Take lots of pictures as you go for future reference, proof of what you've done and to help remember this experience with your father.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 05:26 PM

My car was a numbers matching 455 car. The one you got being in a garage all this time and second owner is awesome. It will help with the value. The best part though is that you are doing this with your dad. Take lots of pictures as you go for future reference, proof of what you've done and to help remember this experience with your father.

thank you sir
Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a great project.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:50 PM

Awesome!
I can't wait to see pictures.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:12 AM

I bet it's going to be a cool project. Post pics when you get a chance.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by papami
wondering what the current value of these machines are? We are expecting a total restoration tag of approx 20k.
Anyone in the old-car-value business will tell you right off the bat that it's the market that determines value, not what is spent to restore any particular car. Never expect to get back when you sell an old car what you spent to restore it. Restore it because you enjoy the process and will enjoy the car when it's done. Some old car enthusiasts sell a car once restored so they can go out and buy another one to restore. It's not the destination, it's the journey.

The latest issue (Jan/Feb 2017) of the Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible in showroom (#2) condition at $23,000. One step below, "car show" condition, the value shown is about $15,000.

Collector Car Market Review shows the value of a '71 Supreme convertible in #2 condition at $19,000 but then add 20% for a 455 engine, bringing the value to just under $23,000, right in line wit the OCPG.

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...eme-value.html

The bottom line is, don't expect to get $30,000 for your car when its done. Certainly go ahead and ask that or any price you want as you never know, but remember that you're competing with the other '71 Supreme convertibles out there, and why should a buyer pay $30,000 for yours when he can presumably find a comparable one from another seller for thousands less.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 08:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

So is there a U in the VIN number?
Not in 1971. The engine code wasn't part of the VIN until the 1972 model year.

To the OP: Unfortunately, you'll dump $20K into this car and it will be worth about $20K. Do this because you want to, not to make a profit. Good luck.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Not in 1971. The engine code wasn't part of the VIN until the 1972 model year.

To the OP: Unfortunately, you'll dump $20K into this car and it will be worth about $20K. Do this because you want to, not to make a profit. Good luck.
not looking to make a profit. This will stay within the family for many years to come.

im sure of what I have in terms of drivetrain and options. Will post pictures shortly

are there upgrades I should consider that would not significantly reduce value?
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:01 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Welcome, If staying in the family, make what ever changes you want. Some changes can add some value(disc brakes,power windows, etc.) Some can detract(crazy custom paint). I would make it a safe family driver and enjoy.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:04 AM
delete

Welcome & good luck. Hopefully you decide to move forward.

Don't do anything that can't be reversed & the less visually obvious the change the better. Something like a custom interior is very much to taste and will affect the value. Converting to electronic ignition or front disc brakes if it doesn't have them are generally well received. So is adding a rear sway bar if it isn't currently equipped with one.

As far as cost - prices are very regional so I won't opine. Also matters how much you are going to farm out compared to how much you will do yourself.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:04 AM
delete

not looking to make a profit. This will stay within the family for many years to come.

im sure of what I have in terms of drivetrain and options. Will post pictures shortly

Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:40 AM

You should definitely run radials instead of bias ply tires.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 01:34 PM

U in VIN. Oops

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;985242]Not in 1971. The engine code wasn't part of the VIN until the 1972 model year.

Anytime I hear " cutlass convertible with a 455" the blood rushes out of my brain.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 01:54 PM

Upgrades

Upgrading the suspension to Hotchkis or similar will make the handling more desirable to most. Still looks stock but less body roll in turns.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Make the car whatever you want it to be and enjoy it.
Old January 31st, 2017, 07:48 PM

Window Sticker and More

Guys

as promised, attached are pics of the "window sticker" and protect-o-plate.

Curious as to what you all think I have here and how unique the combination of options are compared to what was produced in 71

thanks

Michael

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1433.JPG (1.80 MB, 7 views)
IMG_1432.JPG (1.98 MB, 5 views)
IMG_1431.JPG (2.23 MB, 5 views)
IMG_1430.JPG (2.37 MB, 6 views)
IMG_1429.JPG (2.37 MB, 7 views)
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:41 PM

So being a 1971 with 455 as expected, window sticker shows this to be a Cutlass Supreme SX convertible. That is basically the same car as the 1971 442 convertible except some minor trim options. Does it still have SS IV wheels. If in good shape those are rare. Post pictures for the masses.
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 4speed455
So being a 1971 with 455 as expected, window sticker shows this to be a Cutlass Supreme SX convertible. That is basically the same car as the 1971 442 convertible except some minor trim options. Does it still have SS IV wheels. If in good shape those are rare. Post pictures for the masses.
4speed455

thanks for your quick reply. yes still have the original wheels and the spare wheel in the trunk.
Old February 1st, 2017, 06:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 4speed455
Does it still have SS IV wheels. If in good shape those are rare. Post pictures for the masses.
SS IV wheels only came in the 5 x 5" bolt pattern and do not fit an A-body. This is a typo on the sticker. The only options were RPO PO5 SS I, RPO N66 SS II, or RPO N67 SS III, per the SPECS manual attached below.

Old February 1st, 2017, 08:09 AM

Window Sticker and More

Thanks for the equipment sheet. Given that my window sticker doesn't have the package codes it will be easy to decipher as the costs match exactly!

Interesting on the typo. I guess I'm not used to the fact that a factory window sticker would be incorrect. Based on the costs it looks like the car has Super Stock I wheels.

Heres a question. Its clear that the orig owner purchased the Y79 SX Performance package BUT the car does not have any badges or emblems that say Cutlass SX on the car. Im pretty sure that would have been included in the Y79. Any thoughts on that? Given that we are the second owners and the original owner only had the car for a few years it would seem strange that they would be missing. Could it have come from the factory that way??

Going to try and pull it out of the garage this weekend. Will be the first time in 35 years it sees daylight. Crossing my fingers the build sheet is in there somewhere but not confident based on the Lansing build location.

thanks for the information!
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:11 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Great docs and a very cool car!
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Heres a question. Its clear that the orig owner purchased the Y79 SX Performance package BUT the car does not have any badges or emblems that say Cutlass SX on the car. Im pretty sure that would have been included in the Y79. Any thoughts on that?
Yes, Y79 included the SX emblems, as you can see in the SPECS page I posted ("special fender ornaments"). Has the car ever been repainted? Could the front end have been replaced after an accident?
Old February 1st, 2017, 02:31 PM

Joe

the car has never been repainted or in an accident. also none of the interior designations are there either. I thought there were some interior designations of the SX as well

strange.

Planning on pulling her out of the garage this weekend. Ill be sure to take pics and see what else I can find.

So far I've been quoted everything from 3k to 6k to rebuild the engine. Obviously the block will stay but what are peoples thoughts on the ancillary parts like starter, alt, water pump.

Any thoughts on where to source those parts? do they still manufacture OEM parts? sorry if thats a real newbie question

thanks
Old February 5th, 2017, 09:23 PM

if the components from the car are original to the car, have them rebuilt/restored

people spend lots of time & money to get correct part numbered and dated parts for muscle car era restorations

at the time these cars were built, they were considered to be the best handling cars of their class - little to no "upgrades" (put the monies elsewhere) need to be done to enjoy them & nothing beats the look of G70-14 FIRESTONE WIDE OVAL or GOODYEAR POLYGLAS reproductions on these cars!

plan your budget, that $20K will get eaten up quickly
Old February 6th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
nothing beats the look of G70-14 FIRESTONE WIDE OVAL or GOODYEAR POLYGLAS reproductions on these cars!
You can now get Firestone Wide Oval repro radials that have the bias-ply look. At nearly $300 each, they ain't cheap. Ride and handling much improved over the stock bias ply tires.