General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The mother of all road trips(the beginning)

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2014, 09:09 PM

The mother of all road trips(the beginning)

We are just finishing up loading the Oldsmobile and getting ready for our trip tomorrow. Surprising most all of the important stuff will fit in the trunk (big trunk) the rest I'll chuck in the back seat.

Tomorrow we will spend getting out of California and then half of Oregon. I hope to make Burns Oregon by tomorrow night then on to Spokane Washington the next day.....More to follow as it happens.....Tedd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MOART the begening 002.JPG (61.9 KB, 110 views)
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:15 PM

Very cool. Where are you heading?
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Administrator

You still have room for plenty of souvenirs. Good luck and keep us posted with plenty of pictures.
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:31 AM

Nice heading out of Ca for a road trip safe travels.Nick
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Bon voyage!

By the way - That fire extinguisher should be up front with you guys and not back in the trunk to be useful (sorry).

- Eric
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:27 AM

Where's the trailer with the portable tool shed? I figure after the other thread where you asked what tools and spare parts to bring, you'd need one!

I figured you'd have something like this by now.

Old May 8th, 2014, 06:32 AM

What's the big red thing on the left?
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:40 PM

Well guys we made it to Burns Oregon for the night, probably 450 miles total, rained on us half the way here, glad we have good wipers. The only thing that went wrong was the drivers inside door latch handle stopped working for awhile(don't know why) and I had to learn all over again how to work the heater since the rebuild of the heater control valve was replaced. All in all a great trip.I'll drop a few pictures on here later tonight, I need to resize them.

The final destination is South Dakota if all goes well and we plan to return the south route by way of Salt lake and Reno.

Eric, you are correct and I will put it behind the back seat for the rest of the trip. Thought about it then forgot about it.

Professur, That red thing is my vintage A/C (swamp cooler) that fits on the outside of the passenger window. I was prepared for a heat wave, it's not going to happen, hope it doesn't snow!...See you later with pictures....Tedd
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:31 PM

Subscribing,,,...Best wishes for an adventure with all of the excitement and pleasant experiences that make for a great trip. Please keep us updated so that we can continue to take the ride. Thanks!!
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sleep well!

- Eric
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:43 PM

Pictures, day one

Here are a few pictures of some of the things I found interesting.
#1 is a strange rock formation,#2 some more strange formations that pop up on otherwise flat ground. It looked better when I was there with a panoramic view, plus that red car kept getting in the way. #3 and 4 are a couple old buildings north of Lakeview Oregon that I found rather unique in a rustic way. The last one is what I saw most of the day, windshield, wipers and hood.....Tedd
Attached Images
Road trip 002.jpg (62.9 KB, 79 views)
Road trip 003.jpg (53.4 KB, 84 views)
Road trip 007.jpg (68.1 KB, 86 views)
Road trip 009.jpg (77.0 KB, 85 views)
Road trip 011.jpg (64.8 KB, 85 views)
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:51 PM

Looks like a fine adventure, Tedd. Are you touring the Black Hills? That's my favorite vacation spot.
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:51 AM

Nice pictures. Enjoy your road trip. Car looks great!
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Subscribed for the ride
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:46 AM

Day two in the morning

Got a good rest last night, I'm surprised I could type at all yesterday I was pretty tired mostly because I did most of the driving yesterday and the stress of getting ready the day before. Good to go today.

We were on the desert side of California and Oregon yesterday so there wasn't much to photograph hopefully today will be different.....Pictures tonight ...Tedd

PS. Black hills are on the short list.depends a lot on weather.
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:59 AM

Congratulations, Tedd, for doing what you're supposed to do with your Oldsmobile................going on a road trip! Have a safe one, watch out for the fools (on the road, and elsewhere)!
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:33 PM
GM Enthusiast

That's awesome Tedd. Have fun and keep us updated with plenty of pictures!
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:52 PM

Day two pictures

Well, we kinda sorta got lost today, Long story, but we were able to see some awesome sites that wouldn't have happened if we would have stuck to the main roads. In fact this whole trip is about the back roads and the people who live there or whose history and story remains to be enjoyed over again.

For a convertible man the weather really sucked. but at the same time the dynamic of the changes in weather was something to behold. from bright sun that hurt the eyes to darkness that resembled twilight, rain, snow, hail a storm cells would pass through like a split screen half ominous black the other half like a spring day...Here are a few shots that we got when the weather cooperated.
Attached Images
Road trip day two 003.JPG (76.4 KB, 57 views)
Road trip day two 015.JPG (79.9 KB, 57 views)
Road trip day two 012.JPG (81.8 KB, 62 views)
Road trip day two 007.JPG (85.9 KB, 58 views)
Road trip day two 020.JPG (73.1 KB, 50 views)
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:03 PM

here are a few more pictures

Some shots of the old rustic buildings that I wish I could tell more of their history. Car really needs a bath after 1000 miles without one.....Tedd
Attached Images
Road trip day two 005.JPG (87.4 KB, 71 views)
Road trip day two 006.JPG (83.1 KB, 70 views)
Road trip day two 019.JPG (86.0 KB, 71 views)
Road trip day two 023.JPG (84.8 KB, 71 views)
Road trip day two 025.JPG (85.8 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; May 9th, 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:18 PM

And the last few

The back bar in the first picture was impressive. Built in 1864 and installed in this bar in 1868 , neat place. The second are some obsidian knifes made locally by a artisan, It's very hard to get a blade that long with out breaking it., we are now in Pasco Washington State. Thats enough for tonight on to Utah tomorrow....Tedd
Attached Images
Road trip day two 024.JPG (87.9 KB, 58 views)
Road trip day two 004.JPG (86.2 KB, 62 views)
Road trip day two 021.JPG (81.9 KB, 61 views)
Road trip day two 026.JPG (86.4 KB, 59 views)
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:12 AM

Very cool!
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:20 AM

Ted, looks like a swell trip, even despite the rain. I love those old buildings and the history they contain. That old bar looks swell, too - I could hang out there for a long time! Car looks great - cannot even see any dirt on it... Keep it safe and have a good time. Not sure when you are going home but I will be heading to my lot in Gold Beach Oregon next week. I will wave to you if I happen to spot you, as you know that car will be hard to miss!
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:08 AM

This is what that beautiful car was built for , I'm envious.
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:08 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Tedd - wow, a 1,000 miles already! Looking good.
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:38 PM

Day three and four- some problems

Well a we had a few problems Saturday and Sunday. First my wife who has been suffering from a upper respiratory problem began to have more problems so we stopped at a immediate care facility in Spokane Washington and had her checked out to get a prescription for her cough. It only took about two and half hours for that ordeal but well worth it.

Far behind and fighting snow,rain and hail we pressed on towards Missoula Montana. after hitting the mining town of Kellogg(very interesting history there)we pushed on toward Missoula, it was now getting dark and I was watching the fuel gauge it was down to just under 1/4 tank and everything was do fine we were about five miles from Missoula when I felt a stutter and a major miss began. I made it to a exit but it died a 100 yards up the exit still showing over a 1,8 tank of gas. Felt like I lost a fuel pump and I had none. I remember your suggestion Eric. A Montana HP was in there in minutes and got a AAA truck there in a short time. He also suggested a repair guy who works on classic cars and we dropped the car off though he couldn't get to it till Monday. What to do? So we had the AAA guy drop us off at a car rental place and I rented a midget Chrysler 200 for a four days. Anyone who has looked for a fuel pump for a 324 knows its not a over the counter thing I also told the mechanic to install a electric pump if needed.I figured we would do some of our trip with the Chrysler and back track for our car when it was completed.
In the middle of the night I remembered that about 12 years ago the car began stuttering when it appeared to have gas in it. I was just turning into a gas station and coasted in and did a fell up. At that time it was over a 100 degrees and I thought it was vapor lock.So This morning I bought a gas can and a spray can of starting fluid and drove to where my poor car was sitting outside in the snow and started it up. Felt very dumb but relieved.

Had to purchase a new camera and I'm having trouble downloading pictures. As soon as I can I will get them resized, something is different with this camera.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; May 11th, 2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:47 PM

I'll try this...Tedd
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:54 PM

I can only post a couple pictures . I think this new camera has a higher pixel count than my old camera. here a few more...Tedd
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:55 PM

And a couple more
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Administrator

I had that happen when we took a family trip from Texas to N Carolina. Fuel gauge showed 1/4 tank and my 2001 diesel died on the hwy. Had it towed to a Dodge dealer in La, where they changed the lift pump and the hi pressure fuel pump. The mechanic went to start it and it still would not start. That's when he banged on the fuel tank and we both felt stupid. Added some diesel and vroooom. Thank god it was still under warranty.

Glad the Mrs is feeling better, just remember it's these little happenings that make the story interesting. Don't get frustrated, go with the flow.
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I can only post a couple pictures . I think this new camera has a higher pixel count than my old camera.
Not sure how these are related. The number of pictures this site allows you to attach to a single posting is not a function of the size of the images. You're allowed to attach five pictures per message, and each has to be under 100 kb.

It sounds like your new camera's default setting creates an image that is too large in file size. It should be possible to change this to a lower resolution in the settings somewhere.
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:44 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Tedd: glad to know the wife is feeling better. Tha tis th emost important thing.
My gauge reads about 1/8 over too. On my first drive from Denver to Newport I pulled in to buy gas with the needle at about 1/8 tank. I had been thinking, wow - getting good mileage. I pumped 16.9 gallons into a 17 gallon tank.
As Eric says - this is the sort of thing that makes it all an adventure. Not that is still a pain to deal with. But you did not expect to get off scott-free anyway.
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:10 AM

Day three four

I think I have the camera and computer figured out. The pictures below are of Kellogg Montana this mining town was at one time a booming affair in the 1880's and at one tome had the deepest mine in the states also famous for the largest loss of life in a single mine accident the mansion pictured below was the foreman's house, the owner must of had quite some diggs. The Boy Scout stuff is there because this was the start of the boy scouts in Montana.
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:14 AM

Here are a few more. oops I didn't attach more to come

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; May 13th, 2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Wow, you guys have really covered some terrain. Hope the Mrs is feeling better.
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Here they are. The cannon is a civil war breach loader that was used at Fort Missoula till after the turn of the century and the last is the Mistress getting a ride on theAAA truck.

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; May 13th, 2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I think I have the camera and computer figured out. The pictures below are of Kellogg Montana
Tedd, you may have your camera and computer figured out, but I'm not so sure of your geography.

Do you possibly mean Kellogg, IDAHO?

I looked high and low for a Kellogg, Montana and could not find one. However, there is a Kellogg, Idaho on I-90 about 130 miles west of Missoula, and it seems to fit the bill as far as being the mining town you describe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellogg,_Idaho
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:10 AM

I have to subscribe to this thread. It seems to be every car guy's dream to take his classic on a road trip of this nature. Have fun, relax and enjoy the ride! Oh and most of all, be safe!
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:23 AM
70 Cutlass SX

I am just jealous he has a babe along with him!
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:44 AM

This is a great story. I'm glad everyone and the car is persevering.
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Tedd, you may have your camera and computer figured out, but I'm not so sure of your geography.

Do you possibly mean Kellogg, IDAHO?

I looked high and low for a Kellogg, Montana and could not find one. However, there is a Kellogg, Idaho on I-90 about 130 miles west of Missoula, and it seems to fit the bill as far as being the mining town you describe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellogg,_Idaho
You are correct, mind fart on my part. I'm trying to put this together sometimes at 10 o'clock at night after 12 hours of driving , wife can't drive because she is on a couple drugs that make her fall a sleep at the drop of a hat. That alone keeps me unrested.

We are covering so much area that I.m forgetting lots of good stuff, there will be a update at the end of the trip on interesting sites or at least stuff I like I hope you all do also.

Today was a whirlwind of stops all of them interesting and educational more to follow. We broke 2000 mikes today......Tedd

Quick Reply: The mother of all road trips(the beginning)