Whats The Difference???

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Whats The Difference???

Hey Again,
Well This question will pretty much give away that I know nothing about Oldsmobile's or old cars for that matter... I am only 17... But any how here goes, I was reading the thread about help identifying the 69 olds and i decided i would hit up the link given to 'decode' my VIN number... It tells me I don't have a Cutlass Supreme, but that in fact I have a Cutlass Supreme Brougham...Heres were I make a fool of myself, Whats the big difference... I have the 5.0 Liter V8 and both the supreme and brougham made one in 1980... Am I able to take parts off a regular Supreme and Put them on the Brougham or no? Not just the engines but also the interior and such? Sorry if this really makes me sound stupid but I really dont have a clue! Thanks alot and Have a Gooder!
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bigboarder13
Hey Again,
Well This question will pretty much give away that I know nothing about Oldsmobile's or old cars for that matter... I am only 17... But any how here goes, I was reading the thread about help identifying the 69 olds and i decided i would hit up the link given to 'decode' my VIN number... It tells me I don't have a Cutlass Supreme, but that in fact I have a Cutlass Supreme Brougham...Heres were I make a fool of myself, Whats the big difference... I have the 5.0 Liter V8 and both the supreme and brougham made one in 1980... Am I able to take parts off a regular Supreme and Put them on the Brougham or no? Not just the engines but also the interior and such? Sorry if this really makes me sound stupid but I really dont have a clue! Thanks alot and Have a Gooder!
Don't worry about asking questions, that's why we're here. The only difference between the Supreme and Supreme Brougham was the upholstery and trim. Mechanically the cars are identical. "Brougham" designated a higher level of luxury trim and might have come with extra power options as standard equipment in the package.
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Jim's rare 80

Yes. Joe is correct. If you need to get machanical parts for the ride, you don't have to mention "brougham". If it's an 80, I'd like to see a PIC. I may be able to help with other things regarding an 80 as well. Had mine since you were six. Best of luck, and feel free to hit with any more questions. Jim.
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:36 PM

Joes Right The Brougham Came With More Power Options Such As Cruise Control Power Windows And Seats And The Doors Had Fabric Instead Of Vinyl
All Mechanical Parts Are Interchangeable With The Supreme Except The Cruise Controlbecause The Supreme Did Not Come With It But You Can Put Cruise Control On The Supreme
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Jim's rare 80

[QUOTE The Brougham Came With More Power Options Such As Cruise Control Power Windows
All Mechanical Parts Are Interchangeable With The Supreme Except The Cruise Controlbecause The Supreme Did Not Come With It But You Can Put Cruise Control On The Supreme[/QUOTE]

Actually, electrical options, such as cruise, and power windows, were not standard on brougham models. They were available options on all models, including Supreme. Standard engine in a brougham was a 3.8, but a 5.0 L was also an option, like bigboarder's has. Brougham got you padded velour interior trim, and seats, and the stainless lower trim as standard. That's it, at least according to my 80 Cutlass sales brochure. Dealers may have ordered more. HTH. .
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:05 AM

Thanks a lot for all the help. Yah shes defiantly got the cruise control and the power windows and locks...no power seats and i haven't figured out if the cruise works or if I am just to stupid to set it. As for the windows the work like new and only the left door locks period...the right door doesn't even lock manually. And yeah it gots the real nice velour seats and fabric on the doors but the seats are so worn out they have holes in the seat part...and ever so sadly because of the crappyness of the storage shed it was in I got a wee bit of water in her and rite where the fabric on the door contacts the dash on both doors i got some mold...its kinda nasty and i cant get the dark color out of it... its all a nice tan color...I will see what I can do about a photo...Where do I post er on this forum...how do you make it come up when you write stuff like Jim's rares got? Thanks again Have a Gooder eh!
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:41 AM

I Was Always Led To Believe The Cruise Control And The Pwr Seats Were Only Available On The Brougham Not Standard But Options
And Never Available On The Supreme If What Jims Rare 80 is saying Is True Than I Stand Corrected And Have Learned Something New I've Never Seen The Sales Brochure But If You Say It's there I'll Take You At Your Word Thanks For The Correction i'd love to see the sales brochure i've owned a half dozen supremes over the years and have never been able to see one i am kind of curious
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Take you time and enjoy taking this gem apart and putting it back together. Half the fun is learning how to do everything yourself, the other half is the pride from your accomplishments. I think everyone here would say pretty much the same, or else we wouldn't even be on this site!!! I remember my first muscle car at 18, a 1966 Plymouth Satellite. Great experience and great memories.
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Cruise control and posting pictures

Just my 2 cents: regarding the cruise control question, I am a former owner of a 1980 Cutlass Supreme, and I can vouch that it had almost no fancy features EXCEPT cruise control. Note that I never used the cruise control, since it stopped working sometime during the Reagan adminstration.

Bigboarder13, if you want to add a picture to your post, click on the "Manage Attachments" button in the message compose window, and then select your desired picture.

If you want the picture to appear in EVERY message you post, then see my prior post here: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...eferrerid=4718

Hope this helps.
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Jim's rare 80

Originally Posted by 79OLDSXTC
I Was Always Led To Believe The Cruise Control And The Pwr Seats Were Only Available On The Brougham Not Standard But Options
And Never Available On The Supreme If What Jims Rare 80 is saying Is True Than I Stand Corrected And Have Learned Something New I've Never Seen The Sales Brochure But If You Say It's there I'll Take You At Your Word Thanks For The Correction i'd love to see the sales brochure i've owned a half dozen supremes over the years and have never been able to see one i am kind of curious
Hi 79olds. The sales brochure is for 1980 Cutlass and Omega. It is a twenty page book that lists all standard, and available options for both cars. I may be able to scan the front cover and post it if you like, or the options page. let me know what you think. Jim.
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:10 AM

if you could post that brochure that would be appreciated.
thanks in advance
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Jim's rare 80

OK. I scanned two pics. Let me know if this helps. Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1980 sales brochure cover.jpg (61.0 KB, 25 views)
Old July 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's rare 80
OK. I scanned two pics. Let me know if this helps. Jim.
YES, THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:59 PM

Hey where can you buy all thats brouchure and owners manuals and what not... mostly the owners manual... i need some help identifying parts of the engine... the old ones are way out of my small realm of knowledge... And Thanks a bunch for all the help and replys to my post!
Old August 1st, 2007, 03:37 PM

Car manuals

Howdy again,

Owners' manuals, brochures, and service manuals are all up for auction on eBay.
http://motors.search.ebay.com/1980_O...nsifQQsbrsrtZd

You probably won't have many of your questions answered in a User's manual, other than perhaps general specifications. It is designed to be used by drivers, not by mechanics.

I recommend the factory service manual, which has many more specifications, diagrams, drawings, and service procedures. And since there is one on eBay right now selling for $15, you don't have much to lose.

Mister

P.S. No, I am not selling service manuals on eBay.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:01 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hi. Mister is correct. My owners manual, fits in my glove box. My shop manual for 1980, is the size of a phone book. You can also check out any local swap meets. That's where I found the brochure I posted pics. of earlier. If you need info, just ask. Jim.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:43 AM

cruise control

Originally Posted by 79OLDSXTC
I have a 80 cutlass supreme base model manual windows manual locks originally 260 V8 turbo 350 no lock up converte 3.08 single track rear end with pulse wipers and cruise control. all factory options. now its a chevrolet 305 turbo 350 with a B&M stage 2 shift kit 3.08 rear end. will be a 383 stroker turbo 305 with shift kit with a 9 INCH ford 3.73 posi.