trunk lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2011, 08:34 AM

trunk lock cylinder

Car- 72 Cutlass Supreme, 350/350

First off great site. Ive been doing a lot of searching and reading and got answers to most of my questions.

Im changing out the door, trunk, colum, lock cylinders. I have them all changed but the trunk cylinder "spring clip" doesnt look right. It sticks out a little and for the life of me I cant remember how it looked before I pulled it out.

If possible can someone take a close up picture of the trunk lock cylinder from the underside (inside trunk) where the spring clip is.

Thanks for any help, Joe
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM

Smile

I just put mine back in after being out for about a year while the car was being painted. You have to have it turned the right way so the screw holes line up flush with the holes on the trunk lid. ( I'll get a picture soon if I can) The clip fits VERY tight in the lock cylinder grooves. I had to tap mine in with a rubber mallet. Then I used some small machine screws with nuts to fasten, as the screw holes were too far gone to hold tight. Hope this helps, I will try to get a picture. Chumley
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Thanks Chumley!

The way its in not just doesnt seem right. Its holding the lock on but the spring clip sticks out a little. And yes its a pain to get it on,lol. On the end of the spring clip is a little flap, I just need to know if the flap is up (facing trunk lid) or down (facing trunk compartment).

Thanks again. Joe
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:26 PM

If I understand you correctly, the "flap" should be on the outside of the trunk lid. This is the part where the screws go through to hold the clip in place. Here are a couple of pictures . (sorry about the quality) Chumley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trunk lock 1.jpg (44.1 KB, 52 views)
trunk lock 2.jpg (55.8 KB, 49 views)
trunk lock 3.jpg (68.7 KB, 52 views)
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the pics! They do help but mine does not have any screws in it. I was wondering what you were talking about when you mentioned screws :-). My flap that sticks out has no screws like yours does.

BUT looking at the inside picture of the spring clip you posted helped greatly. Thank you very much.

Joe
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM

There should be two holes in the sheet metal for screws that hold the clip in place.(not that it would loosen easily, unless someone tried to break into your trunk) Maybe the screws are missing? That "flap" you mention should be as flush as possible with the trunk lid. This would indicate the clip is fully seated on the cylinder. OR, maybe my car had the screws installed. I'll consult my assembly manual to verify.
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:55 AM

the old one I pulled out didnt have screws and the new one I bought does not have screw holes. HmmM. Ill have to check when I get home.

Thanks again :-)

Joe
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:28 PM

There is a used one currently on E-bay and it has the holes. Maybe the one you removed is not the correct one, especially since you said it sticks out too far when installed. Where did you get the new one?