Radio noise issues

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2012, 10:54 AM

Unhappy Radio noise issues

- I've recently installed a decent factory correct AM/FM Cassette radio in my 79 Cutlass Calais. It's quiet as a church mouse when the motor is not running, no background noise, but when the motor is running I'm getting radio noise in the form of the usual static sound.

I removed the tach wire & that was not it. All gounds were checked, all ok. I replaced the alternator and while that helped, the noise wasn't completely eliminated and is still noticeable on quieter songs or between tunes, enough to be somewhat annoying. I am using resistor plugs but I will say I have Jacobs Energy Core sparkplug wires with a Jacobs coil. The coil & wires are supposed to be lifetime (unlike Jacobs) but they are probably at least 12 years old. I'm hoping they are not the problem as I'd prefer to keep them in the car.

Would anyone have an idea on how the noise can be eliminated, other than not turning the radio on? Its most prominent when FM is played, or the tape (the tape hiss is not what I'm focusing on removing).

I have the antenna in the glass on this car. If anyone might recommend certain spark plugs, wires, coil, antenna, I'd surely give it a try if needed.

thx

Last edited by BlueCalais79; March 25th, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:13 AM

radio sounds like frying bacon - yum yum

don't know if this is an issue for those spark plug wires, cause I'm not familiar with those particular ones, but are they resisitor type wires?? If not, that might be your problem. Others can jump in if they feel I'm off base here...
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM

This is a problem that was commonplace back in the '60s and '70s, especially with aftermarket radios, and no amount of replacing wires and so forth will eliminate it because it's endemic to the fact that there are electronic devices at work. The usual way to eliminate this problem was to install an electronic noise suppressor (condenser) in the offending circuit.

Here's one of many sources of info you can turn up if you google "car radio static suppressor."

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/0mo0q...tic-radio.html
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Are these wires solid core? If for performance, they might be.
The stock noise suppression wires (resistor core) are supposed to eliminate radio noise.
If you can replace them with NS wires, that will narrow down the choices.
Popping the alternator belt off will tell you if it is a charging system issue.
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A set of stock wires don't cost to much, and will help answer the question of whether it's the aftermarket wires. You might even borrow them from a buddy's car for the experiment.

If the wires aren't it, then I'd say double check the noise suppression condensers on the distributor and coil, and if those don't do it, pull all the fuses and start putting them back one by one to see if its any of those circuits.

- Eric
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM

What flavors of noise do you have?

Most common is popping, which is usually caused by spark plugs / distributor / coil. The faster the engine the more pops.
Whining: usually caused by Alternator. As you change engine speed, you can hear what sounds like a dentist drill.
Computer cars will also generate a "Hash" type of noise.

What is the noise flavor on AM?
What is the noise flavor on FM?
Is the antenna cable properly connected?
Where are you getting your DC power from, the fuse panel?
The fuse panel is one of the nosiest places to tap for power.
Does it get worse when the wheels are turning (bearings)?
Do the lights in your car flicker when idling parked?

Related link
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nd-straps.html

What I do for Transmitting radios, is we always get power from just one location, the Battery directly. The battery will be the quietest location for tapping off to get power.
If you run out of things to try, you can run a pair of wires from the battery to the radio (must have a fuse at the battery terminal). You will notice a big reduction in engine noise.

Good luck, 73 WF1F