parking lights always on?

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2010, 09:39 PM

parking lights always on?

I've got the shop/service manual coming from Fusick for my 71 Cutlass Convertible, but until then how do you remove the headlight switch?
I can't figure out how to get that part of the dash off.

I know how to push the button and pull the **** out and then take off the nut, but can't get to the actual switch to remove the connector.

I'm assuming that a shorted switch is the problem since this is where the parking lights get their power. If it is not the switch, then I've got some bare wires making that circuit hot.

Any advice? pictures?

Thanks,
Jay
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Registered

I just relaced my wagon rear window switch and bezel. I took off the gauge trim panel then fuel gauge and accessed the switch through the opening.
A small mirror and flashlight helps, dentists must be good at that type reverse image dashboard work?
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I just relaced my wagon rear window switch and bezel. I took off the gauge trim panel then fuel gauge and accessed the switch through the opening.
That is how I did it. I had the AC ducts off, which helped as well. Disconnect battery first.
Allocate a couple hours to do this - it is a royal PITA!
Also, the bulb for lighting the "LIGHTS" word is probably burned out, too. I think it is a 1445, available at many local auto parts stores.
It took me over an hour just to replace that stupid bulb... I shoulda replaced the switch also out of prevention...
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. My dentist turned me down. Besides it wasn't covered on my dental insurance. Took the car to the shop this morning for all new suspension bushings, ball joints etc. I told the mechanic and he said he would do it "no problem". I quickly said "OK". We'll see if he wants my first born son in payment.
Thanks again,
Jay
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:56 AM

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. That's nice to hear that you went to the mechanic to solve this.