Parking lights always on - even w/o fuse?

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2012, 11:01 AM

Parking lights always on - even w/o fuse?

My parking lights are now always on, (73 S BB ) and cannot be turned off. Disconnecting the battery is the only way to turn them off. I even pulled the fuse thinking that would work temporarily but that didn't faze them. From reading previous posts it sounds like it's the light switch, which I am about to pull out, but shouldn't pulling the fuse open the circuit and turn them off?? I haven't done any other rewiring, just upgraded the engine.
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:03 PM

The power appears to come directly from the ignition switch to the backup light switch, then to the backp lights. On a purple wire .
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:19 PM

I had a '72 Ford that did the same thing. Electricity from another circuit can't find the 'ground' it's looking for so back-feeds and causes weird things to happen. Cleaning the sockets and grounds fixed it for me.
Old May 26th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Walk yourself back through everything you did with your engine upgrade and think if you could have pinched wiring anywhere and eyeball it.

If lights stay on with the fuse pulled it's because they are getting power from another circuit. You can try pulling other fuses one at a time and see if that kills the lights. If you know what other circuit is involved it could help to track down and isolate the problem. The headlight switch is a good place to check. Headlights are on a breaker, not a fuse, but the courtesy circuit is also present at the headlight switch.
Old May 26th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What a gorgeous car. Just finished looking at your web page and profile pics.

I'm with Highwayman on this, go back through your rebuild step by step.

What happens if you pull the headlight switch out all the way? Do you get headlight? I'd start with that. If it's the switch, I'd disconnect the battery before pharting around with taking it out.
Old May 26th, 2012, 03:32 PM

Thanks Allan. I think yours is really sweet. I love the color, and it looks like it just came off the line.
Problem is solved. I replaced the switch ($22 at NAPA), adjusted the brake light switch at the pedal, and I'm good to go. I was not looking forward to getting into the wiring harness. I'd rather be lucky than good!
Old May 26th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Love it when it turns out to be something easy; glad you got it fixed.

Thx on my car. Not the original color - I changed it to a brighter silver. Amazingly, it has not deteriorated in the slightest since paint (BC/CC) 25 years ago. But prolly like your Mom, I kept it in the garage all the time. I love taking it out for a drive - especially on the hiway. Would be really cool if it had come with those optional swivel buckets like you have.