New. Pics.

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2006, 08:05 PM

New. Pics.

I just wanted to stop in and say hi.

I'm a new member , and new to the Oldsmobile family.

My name is Brandon, I live in Lancaster NY, and my girlfriend and I are GM fans.

My girlfriend and I have always been into G bodies, Monte Carlos specifically. She owns a 96 Monte Carlo LS, and I own an 86 Monte Carlo SC.

We just took a step into the A body world with the purchase of a 1981 Cutlass Cruiser Brougham for $400. The frame is solid with only surface rust. The floor pans are solid, with only a few small spots of surface rust. The body is great, a few small dents/dings, and a few small spots of surface rust. The car is equipped with the factory 307. No power windows or locks, nice and basic.

We plan to restore the car to a certain point, and then begin the ultimate Olds wagon drag car build up.

The car runs and drives great, starts every time, and only needed pads and rotors, and a new gas tank. We had to reattach the neutral safety switch as well, since the previous owner took it off the column for some odd reason. He apparantly didn't like having reverse lights.

Anyways, I'll end my rambling and get to the pictures, which i know is the reason you clicked this thread to begin with!

88a5e93a.jpg

36d32483.jpg

8e9cc263.jpg

4aac3559.jpg

Yes the car was repainted "fire engine red" on top of the original color, yet the door jams, doors, etc.. show NO signs of rot, and only minor surface rust, as you can see in the one picture above.

Thanks for reading and looking, and hopefully this 81 wagon is old enough to be considered classic, and welcomed as part of the forum. God knows it's being a real pain finding the headlight bezels for this car.
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:49 AM

A or G?

Your wagon is called an a-body, but it is really a g-body just like your Monte. They were called a-bodies until the complete metric changover in 82. Other than aesthetics, the wheel stud size change from 7/16 to 12mm/1.5 was the biggest change. Other than this, all suspension parts and dimensions are the same from 78 on and almost all will interchange. The 80's 4 door cutlass should share the same front clip so you should not have to much trouble finding headlight bezels, etc. That thing would be cool with a 455 under the hood, sleeper? Good luck and have fun!
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:13 AM

A, Whats happening. my name is Tony and I caint wait to see what you will do to it. I would like to see a 455 under the hood too.