New garage

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2009, 02:31 AM
car nut farmer

New garage

Here are some pictures from two weeks ago. I'll have to get some inside shots and will be getting started on the electric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
071.JPG (70.0 KB, 109 views)
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Oldsdruid

I built a 36x50 with a 16x50 loft 2 years ago.

When I started putting stuff in it I realised I should have built it 10 feet longer.

Then again maybe I should just start getting rid of some of the stuff.

NOT! I want more!
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:52 AM

That will be an awsome garage. Make sure you post more pics once you have your Olds in there.
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Past Administrator

What I wouldn't do for a three bay garage....(I can't say in public).
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Very nice

I see the propane tank. What type of heater are you going to use? One of those that hand from the roof trusses?
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:21 AM

Here's a post that sure brought out the jealous man in me...
I sure wish for one like that, hopefully someday!

I did build a 10x14 workshop in the back yard 4 years ago, mainly for storage and it has really helped out. The electrical and insulating work was more time consuming than the wood building part it seemed...

Just be careful during its construction... I ended up in the hospital 3 years after trying to pick up an A/C unit by myself. -Another one of those stupid things I did back then...
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:21 AM

Awesome!!!! And now the finishing work begins....
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Registered

Looking good, three doors are always better than a big and little, now you need three openers so don't forget the three receptacles in the ceiling. I've built at least a hundred garages and no matter how big you make them they end up too small. The junk is only "good junk" if you have a place to put it, then when you run out of room and throw it out it's just regular junk again.

Last edited by Bluevista; January 9th, 2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Not fair,

I looked at this knowing that I have to start my disc brake conversion which will require me to move several items from my two car garage to the carport and stack them on the 48 so I can get enough room to work aroud the 57. I hope to build my shop in the next year or two. Just a litte envious
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM

nice garage. i recently move into a house that has a six car garage. it originally was a two car and they took the back wall out and add a four car with a single door in the back. it was out of my budget but how could a man pass it up. . its a total of about 1200 sq ft.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
car guy

Looks good congrats!!! Now give it 6 months before you want one twice the size. I know from experience
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Registered

Is the wiring finished yet? cable, water, air conditioning and heat?
My dentist friend is now single and his car hating wife got the house. He has a bunch of cars and bikes so he had a warehouse built in an industrial park and keeps all his stuff in there and lives there too, lots of room. The warehouse isn't zoned for residences but he maintains a low profile. I met his new girlfriend at a cruise-in and all she wanted to do was leave because it was boring, some guys never learn.
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Trying to remember member

My carbarn is just the right size for me. Any larger would be (more) dangerous and get me into (more) trouble.
(Not meaning trouble with the wife, though....she wants to add on to it!)
I house 5 cars there (could hold 6).
Radiant tube heat! Superbly efficient.
Attached Images
Carbarn 014.jpg (71.7 KB, 59 views)
Carbarn 015.jpg (83.0 KB, 75 views)
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
My carbarn is just the right size for me. Any larger would be (more) dangerous and get me into (more) trouble.
(Not meaning trouble with the wife, though....she wants to add on to it!)
I house 5 cars there (could hold 6).
Radiant tube heat! Superbly efficient.
Very nicely done. Unfortunately, If it were mine I would have the outside porchs cluttered up with parts/pieces also.
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Never enough room!

I built a 30x40 garage and it is just right to hold a 71 cutlass, 71 chevelle, 37 plymouth, and sideways in the back there is room for the workbench and a 39 dodge. I live in a rural area so just use truck boxes for storage.
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:51 PM
GM Enthusiast

Some nice garage photos. I wish I could do that. I live on Long Island where space is at a premium, I am lucky to have a two car garage. My wife gets one of the spots but at least she let me get a lift so I could put two on one side. That definitely helps but I wish I could build a man-shed like some of yours! Maybe some day.
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM
car nut farmer

Thanks for the comments, I've been needing one of these for many years. Jamesbo, it'll have popane heat but haven't decided what style. A friend helped me run electric to it last Monday while it was still warm. Right now I'm waiting on a kerosene heater to warm the coffin up so I can start on the wiring. It's colder than the devil here and about all we get done in this cold is feed cattle, so time to wire. I've a small storage building behind it and hoping not to clutter this one up.

I'll get some pics of my cars in it Olds64 and great carbarn wmachine.
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Man I am soooooooooooooo Jealous!!!!!!!!!

Wow great car collections Great garages and Car barns? new one for me LOL... Old Skool I use to live out in stony brook Li, I know what your saying, but i am in jersey for over 20 years now and all i have is a 1 car garage! albeit, my wifes ( when it was new) car was in the driveway LOL.. and my 69 cutty was in the garage LOL...
Attached Images
edcutlasss.jpg (53.0 KB, 34 views)
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Great garages and Car barns? new one for me LOL... Old Skool
Actually, carbarn is a very old term for buildings used to house railroad cars, streetcars and such.
At the risk of sounding like a pig, I have a regular 2-car attached garage also. It immediately got confusing when the wife or I said "garage", so I needed a way to identify them, and decided to call the big one a "carbarn", reviving the old term.
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:24 PM
car nut farmer

At the risk of sounding like a pig, I have a regular 2-car attached garage also.
Same here. Also have a few machine sheds.....big ones, but they make awfully poor storage for cars. Kind of to the point of building a garage or sell the cars, it was frustrating trying to keep them out here in the country. I'm going to be pulling the bright work from my Dart and getting it ready for paint this spring(hope) and have someplace to lay everything out in order. Also replace the expansion valve on the Cutlass and not worry about dirt, birds, rodents, and a nephew who's gun happy.

Last edited by 71rocket; January 15th, 2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Very nicely done. Unfortunately, If it were mine I would have the outside porchs cluttered up with parts/pieces also.
Sounds like MY back patio....
It seems to be the staging area for trash and junk parts that never seem to leave.
A water heater joined the pile a couple days ago...

Eddie,
You seem to have the same amount of workspace as I do...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 15th, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71

Eddie,
You seem to have the same amount of workspace as I do...

awwwwwwwww Man I pity you too.... LOL. I mean these "other Guys" car barns and tool sheds, machine sheds too LOL... nothing like twisting the knife brutha LOL....

I actually took the fenders, interior, and stuff I am not working with down to the basement just to make more room...

one day..... I'll have a Man Garage..

right now I got the deluxe munchkin garage for an OzMobile LOL
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Looks good congrats!!! Now give it 6 months before you want one twice the size. I know from experience
Tell me about it! When I bought my house it already had a 30x40 steel shop with 12' sides, a 25x30 2 car garage w/10' ceiling, a 24x30 carport built on to the house w/peaked roof and a back porch running the full length of the house. Now ask me if I have any room! The answer would be NO! I will eventually build on to my shop and hopefully not buy even more stuff to fill it up!
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM

You may want to look at replacing the POA valve when you do the expantion valve. It;s the weard looking tube that has all of the small lines comming out of it. These things give lots of problems when they get old. I had to chang them on my 71 chev. truck and a 71 Cutless that I owned. They run about $100 and can cause all cinds of problems when they go bad. The conversion also gives you a low pressure switch for the compressor.
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM

When you build your garage you might consider putting hot water heat tubes in the floor. My buddy hooked his to an outside wood burner and has a propane hot water tank as a backup heat source. The floor is always nice to work on and if you paint there is no dust blowing around.
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM

I'm quite satisfied with my "SunTube" gas radiant tube heater. Extremely efficient, no open flame, no moving air. Also, since it heats objects and not the air, going in and out of the building results in minimum heat loss.
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM

If you are looking to heat that garage, find your closest dealer that sales Hired Hand gas heaters. They have a 225,000 btu for chicken houses that will do all you want in a 3000 sf or smaller shop. They cost around 550.00
You will not regret it. Does not burn much gas either. You can get them in natural or popane models. I have 2 of them in my shop. 50x75
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I'm quite satisfied with my "SunTube" gas radiant tube heater. Extremely efficient, no open flame, no moving air. Also, since it heats objects and not the air, going in and out of the building results in minimum heat loss.
For anybody interested, I have a Solaronics Suntube IV
Model STG-85-25MBN

http://solaronics.thomasnet.com/item...=prod&filter=0
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:11 AM

Wmachine, I checked out the suntube site. Would you mind elaborating on the system.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM

Jamesbo, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but it is a highly efficient heating system. Widely used, but not well known. They call it "infrared" heat, but I've always called it "radiant" heat. The website explains it pretty well:
http://www.solaronicsusa.com/infredb.htm
Physically, it is a long tube with a reflector. Gas fired with the inlet and outlet of the tube from and to outside air. So no exposed flame inside the building.
It heats objects, not the air. Ideal for warehouses and open air buildings. opening and closing door don't lose as much heat either.
You can see it in the upper right of the pic.
Attached Images
GarageNov03.2.jpg (68.0 KB, 27 views)
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:17 PM

Thanks, let me study it a might and I may PM you w/ more stupid questions
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM

Jamsbo, this type of heat is used in a lot of manufacturing buildings because it directs heat to a given area. great for over work stations. The down side of it is that if your under the car the heat does not reach you. The in floor radiant heat using hot water is great for garages because heat rises so you have warmth everyware. It also is cost efficent and can be done with a gas or electric hot water tank or boiler which can also heat hot water for a cleanup sink. Then if you install paddle fans that turn at low speed it will circulate the heat and keep it from staying at ceiling. In the summer the same paddle fans can help cool the garage. You can also use a wood burning boiler if you have access to wood. Of course the key to efficent heating of any garage is insulation R-30 in the ceiling and R-19 minimum in the walls also insulate the garage door which is the largest source of heat loss in a garage.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:37 AM
car nut farmer

Thanks for all the great ideas. The concrete is done so it will be propane or wood heat. I've finished the wiring and have my lighting up, may put up more. Next on the list is insulation because DANG!! it's cold. I'll be getting some pics up.
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Registered

I hope you used calcium in that concrete if it's that cold or it will take forever to dry. Even if you did It probably won't be fully cured before the middle of summer if it's cold there as here. If you have a lift you would have to wait awhile for the concrete to cure enough to put a car on it.
Just don't park any of those cattle or any army tanks on it and it should be fine.
A few of those big critters in there would probably heat it up good and stuff.
It probably would be mostly stuff, all over your new floor.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:35 AM
car nut farmer

Originally Posted by Olds64
That will be an awsome garage. Make sure you post more pics once you have your Olds in there.

I took these Sunday night while insulating. Can't wait until I'm done.
Attached Images
brian bball and garage 044.JPG (43.0 KB, 25 views)
brian bball and garage 046.JPG (45.4 KB, 24 views)
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

Looking better with every update. Don't forget air circulation/cooling, it is cold now but int five months that building will be a oven!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
car nut farmer

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Looking better with every update. Don't forget air circulation/cooling, it is cold now but int five months that building will be a oven!

Yeah, that's another consideration. I've been thinking of a small exhaust fan in the ceiling.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
For sure provide for summer air circulation.
But it may be surprising that many of you how much the insulation keeps in the cool over the summer too. Especially on the sweltering hot summer days, it is remarkably cooler and less humid inside. There are times in the summer when I keep it closed up up to keep the heat and humidity *out*. (I should also note that it gets a fair amount of summer tree shade).
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Registered

The insulation is the fun part. Do the Tom Sawyer whitewash fence trick and convince bystanders to pay you to let them do it.
Good ventilation is the key, the best way to keep a building cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter is a roof vent fan and proper venting in the gable ends or overhangs, lots of roof vents at the least.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Registered car nut

Looking good (as is that Dart ) have fun with it .

Quick Reply: New garage