Need new gas tank for my 69 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Need new gas tank for my 69 cutlass

Just found out I am in need of a new gas tank for my 69 cutlass. Can anyone tell me where I might go for best price/quality ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited by my69olz; May 12th, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Try www.Fusick.com and www.oldsparts.com both of which have fuel tanks. There are some other sites that have been mentioned in various theads on this site also. I just bought a few items for my 69 from Fusick and they shipped the same day I ordered. Their prices are a little higher than Brothers (Oldsparts.com) from what I saw on the websites. I spoke with a couple of guys at Brothers and they were real helpful and I'm sure I'll order from them in the future also. Fusick has online ordering and Brothers is only phone, fax or mail. Good Luck.
Rob
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM

You should buy the Spectra Premium brand tank...this is the Canadian made tank and is the best reproduction out there bar none.

WHERE TO BUY: You should look at RockAuto.com---they sell the Spectra Premium brand tanks and have some of the BEST PRICES, if not THE BEST, out there. Additionally, their shipping charges are extremely reasonable...you might be suprised how much some of these vendors charge to ship gas tanks.

AVOID Brothers like the plague....many, many people have had problems with Brothers over the years and there are just too many GOOD vendors out there to even waste your time taking a chance with Brothers.

Check out RockAuto.com and I think you'll find they have the best pricing on these GOOD QUALITY tanks.

Nothing wrong at all with Fusick...great people. Just do a little checking around.

Final words of advice...there are some cheaper priced (and cheaper quality) "repro" tanks out there. You'll see them on ebay, etc. It's not worth trying to save a buck purchasing these overseas tanks.

I've bought and installed numerous Spectra Premium tanks.

Good luck.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Great info. I appreciate the help. Absolutely want to buy quality for this item. I will check out the sites. Thanks a lot.

69 olds cutlass
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 70Post
You should buy the Spectra Premium brand tank...this is the Canadian made tank and is the best reproduction out there bar none.

WHERE TO BUY: You should look at RockAuto.com---they sell the Spectra Premium brand tanks and have some of the BEST PRICES, if not THE BEST, out there. Additionally, their shipping charges are extremely reasonable...you might be suprised how much some of these vendors charge to ship gas tanks.

AVOID Brothers like the plague....many, many people have had problems with Brothers over the years and there are just too many GOOD vendors out there to even waste your time taking a chance with Brothers.

Check out RockAuto.com and I think you'll find they have the best pricing on these GOOD QUALITY tanks.

Nothing wrong at all with Fusick...great people. Just do a little checking around.

Final words of advice...there are some cheaper priced (and cheaper quality) "repro" tanks out there. You'll see them on ebay, etc. It's not worth trying to save a buck purchasing these overseas tanks.

Good luck.
I used a Spectra tank basesd on Patton's advice....perfect fit on my 70.
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:46 AM

You could also just make a semi-leisurely drive from RI to Fusick in CT. Make a day of it and save on shipping. And also pick up any other parts you might need.
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Thanks again, I just ordered the tank from Fusick a little while ago. I did think about driving when I found out they were in Ct. but the shipping was reasonable ($26), probably about what it would cost for round trip gas.

But I will probably visit the store in the future as suggested, I didn't know they had a retail operation there. Can you purchase all the same items in the catalog at the store?

I found Rockauto.com more expensive for the 69 cutlass tank (about $450. just the tank). At Fusick the tank was 250, straps 35, bolt kit 6.50, lock ring 7.50. Total 299 plus 26 shipping. $325. Sounded ok to me, but I am a newbie at this, so once again I really appreciate all the help on this site. Especially steering me away from the inferior import tanks.

Thaaaaaaaanks
Howard
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by my69olz
But I will probably visit the store in the future as suggested, I didn't know they had a retail operation there. Can you purchase all the same items in the catalog at the store?
I actually have never been to the store. However, either way, I'd suggest calling ahead of time to make sure they have what you want in stock. Additionally, they'll pull the items so you don't have to wait around while they do so (at least this is what I was told). But, in long, yes, they should have most of the catalog items in stock. Some, such as wiring harnesses often take 2-3 weeks, as well as coil springs which are made to order.

As a general rule of thumb, in my experience, Fusick doesn't steer you wrong. They're a good company, generally very responsive to questions and issues, and ship quickly. I hope you have a good experience with them, as I have.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Thanks Tom

Old May 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post

Good luck.
Hey thanks, this helped me out also as I am just now getting into buying parts. I never would've thought BAP was no good. The guy I spoke with seeemed to be knowledgeable and helpful. Cuirous if you had a bad experience with them or been told of some? Thanks, Rob
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:31 PM
442=A perfect 10

Got mine for my 68 442 from www.quantaproducts.com shipped direct two years ago. perfect fit, just like original.

GOG
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by my69olz

I found Rockauto.com more expensive for the 69 cutlass tank (about $450. just the tank). At Fusick the tank was 250, straps 35, bolt kit 6.50, lock ring 7.50. Total 299 plus 26 shipping. $325.

Thaaaaaaaanks
Howard

Correction needed to what you wrote above.....the price you saw was for a fancy stock looking tank BUT WITH an internal fuel pump for use with a late model fuel injected motors. A stock replacement tank for our cars is MUCH CHEAPER there....read on....

Just so people don't think I'm leading them astray here I just looked up RockAuto's 1970 offerings for Spectra Premium tanks. A stock, correct replacement tank from them would run approx $108 + shipping. That's the main reason I recommended ROCKAUTO...I knew their prices blew everyone elses away for the same product.

Sorry they didn't seem to list a stock tank for your '69 but I'm thinking it may be the same as a 1970 tank. Would take a little digging, etc to find out.

Quanta---they were the first reseller of the Spectra Tanks here in the US I think and thus a lot of people, over the years thought Quanta was a manufacturer....not so, but they did a great job of marketing and people started referring to the tanks as "Quanta Tanks". As I mentioned above, the market has gotten A LOT MORE COMPETITIVE. I too bought from them a little over a year ago. This was before I knew RockAuto and others were selling the same tanks. I paid over $200 for a '72 Buick tank and the shipping was RIDICULOUS..over $100 just on shipping.

What I'm getting at is there is some serious money to be saved on some of these parts...you aren't stepping down in quality at all as they are the same parts. So...shop around, ask around and you may find you have saved some serious $$ which we all know is useful for buying MORE PARTS for our cars!!

Brothers....do a search ON THIS SITE, do a search on RealOldsPower.com...you will find plenty of people that have had less-than-desirable experiences with them. Sure, the guy that owns it has been messing with Olds's a LONG TIME.....so have a lot of the other vendors (Fusick...even longer, Supercars Unlimited, etc) so there's nothing unique about Brothers in that regard. With all these other vendors (who have GREAT REVIEWS AND REPUTATIONS) it's just not worth spending the money with someone who has a bad rep. Why reward a bad reputation??? It keeps them in business so they can keep doing the same thing to others.

After DECADES of being involved with Oldsmobiles I generally see the following OLDS REPRO parts vendors get consistently good reviews for their service.

Fusick
Supercars Unlimited
Thornton Reproductions
Legendary Interiors

"The Next Tier"--generally pretty good reputations:

The Parts Place--Reasonable shipping charges and they are the source of a lot of the repro parts that others are selling. Prices also pretty reasonable.

Year One (prices and shipping sometimes higher but good on returns)

I'm sure there a probably others out there but those are some that come immediately to mind.

Spend the $ with those that get great reviews and keep THEM in business.

Thanks

Last edited by 70Post; May 13th, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Thanks Patton, for all the good info....I wrote them down, for quick ref.
Sounds like I spent more $ than I could have for the tank. I am at the bottom of the learning curve, but with the guidance from the people at this site, I am looking forward to saving time and $ in the future.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide the info.