need more torque, But not a wanna be drag car

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2007, 07:28 AM

need more torque, But not a wanna be drag car

I have recently purchased a 1988 oldsmoble cutlass ceira international series with a 2.5 four tech and has close to 200,000 miles on it. I am getting ready to maintinance on the car and I was wondering if there was a way I could gain a little more power on the bottom end without sacificing gas milage or endangering the motor nor ride quality and not going into the motor, this power is from idle to about 55 mph, after 55 the car takes off. I am also suspecting the transmission of needing a overhaul. any advice would be greatly help.
P.S this lack of power is pressing the petal about 1/2 way or less.
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Past Administrator

I bet a basic tune-up would do wonders. Plug wires, plugs, etc. Maybe have someone run a check to see if the engine is throwing any codes. If you have a bad oxygen sensor for example, it will cause the engine to run poorly and the computer should throw a code that would indicate that.
Old July 1st, 2007, 06:47 PM

Are the 1988's rwd. If so, try a more agressive, higher, rearend ratio. You will lose alittle gas milage, but the performance is worth it.
Old July 1st, 2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by old-mans-mobile
........ a way I could gain a little more power on the bottom end without sacrificing gas mileage or ........
A simple change to a lower final drive ratio can make a significant improvement in first gear acceleration from zero. In some cases, small ratio changes have been known to increase mileage instead of the expected decrease.

As I understand it, sprockets in the chain drive and/or the ring and pinion in the differential can be changed. Don't know anything about parts availability for your application, but it might be worth checking into.

Norm
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
A simple change to a lower final drive ratio can make a significant improvement in first gear acceleration from zero. In some cases, small ratio changes have been known to increase mileage instead of the expected decrease.

As I understand it, sprockets in the chain drive and/or the ring and pinion in the differential can be changed. Don't know anything about parts availability for your application, but it might be worth checking into.

Norm
First, this car IS FWD. As Norm points out, final drive parts can be changed, but it is a big deal. Also, any change to a higher numerical final drive WILL hurt gas mileage.

The 2.5 engine is the old Pontiac Iron Duke. Hipo parts used to be available for this motor. Frankly, the least expensive way to upgrade this car is to swap the complete drivetrain from a V6 version.
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM

IF you do swap the motor, go with the 2.3 HO motor. These motors where little 4 bannger rockets.

I think this was the motor that was in the last of the 442's in the early 90's

An it was an Oldsmobile, not a Honda Civic or a Mitsu, that was the first 4 cyl car to run in the 14's in the 1/4 mile
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Redog
IF you do swap the motor, go with the 2.3 HO motor. These motors where little 4 bannger rockets.
The Quad 4 is NOT a bolt-in replacement for the Iron Duke. I don't think this motor was ever offered in the Ciera line, was it?
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The Quad 4 is NOT a bolt-in replacement for the Iron Duke. I don't think this motor was ever offered in the Ciera line, was it?
yes it was it came in black only with gold trim and tan interior. and was badged quad 4-4-2 oh nevermind that was a calais or was it??? its been along time since Ive seen one

Edit: IIRC this motor could also be had in the Achiva SCX
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by zbuickman
yes it was it came in black only with gold trim and tan interior. and was badged quad 4-4-2 oh nevermind that was a calais or was it??? its been along time since Ive seen one

Edit: IIRC this motor could also be had in the Achiva SCX
It WAS the Calais, NOT the Ciera. Two different car lines. The Quad 442 (how I hate that name...) was available in colors other than black. I've seen several in red.