My 70 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2008, 08:09 PM

My 70 Cutlass

Hey all, if anyones interested here is a few pics of my car and my little helper when we picked it up. I've got alot more pics of it apart and going back together. I'll get some loaded up. It started out as a little project, we were just going to paint it up and use it for a driver, but as I dug into it and the "while I'm doing this I might as well do thats" started it was stripped down before I knew it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1001839_052_edited.jpg (102.3 KB, 243 views)
1001844_048_edited.jpg (122.0 KB, 186 views)
1001845_047_edited.jpg (116.9 KB, 183 views)
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
car guy

So what are the plans?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:46 AM
Past Administrator

It looks like you have your work cut out for you with the body rust. Yes, wondering what you plan to do. And, about the helper. That is the way to get them started, early and with good memories and experiences. Nice work!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:12 AM

Cool project!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:55 AM

Nice starter project. I noticed that you hid behind the car in one picture. The good looking kid must take after his mother seeing as how you had to hid. good luck on your project. send pictures and tell us about your plans
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
The good looking kid must take after his mother seeing as how you had to hid.
But the real question is "Can he sand"?

Seriously

Nice project and nice young man. I hope ya'll can enjoy the project together.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM

The rust wasn't nearly as bad as it might look. Floors trunk rockers and wheelhouses all solid. Lower fenders and lower quarters were about it. I picked this up after a w-30 I'd been after got away from me, long story and it might sound like a bit of a fish tale but I'll tell it if anyone wants to hear it. Anyway I had a couple boxes of w-31 parts in the garage that were begging for a home so they are going on this one. I'm pretty much going with a factory look with the exception of a 442 bumper and trumpets. But after looking at all the pics of Richards ragtop I'm half tempted to tear it all back down and go the restomod route, NICE CAR! So far I pulled the top end off the engine to see what was going on in there all seemed well buttoned it back up cleaned it up added a 4bbl and w-31 intake painted it rebuilt the alternator, carb etc. pretty much done there just need to get the exhaust on. Adding a dual gate, was a bench seat so I need to recover a set of buckets, never did that before but I'm gonna give it a shot. Gonna get some more pics loaded up shortly. As for the little guy he is lucky enough to look like his mom, and he can sand like a maniac... just not always what you want sanded.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
. But after looking at all the pics of Richards ragtop I'm half tempted to tear it all back down and go the restomod route, NICE CAR! .
Did someone ring? Thanks.... hop in with me the water's fine
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Here's a couple more pics, I have the door jambs resprayed aspen green, it will be going back to that color with black stripes. On that note has anyone used the stencil kits for the stripes, are they worth getting or should I just go about it the old fashioned way? I wish I could have hit the fire wall a little better I put a bag over the engine and painted around it, Its not too bad I think once it's back together the spots I couldn't get will be hid. The grills turned out pretty good it took the set on the car plus three donor grills that I cut pieces off of to get them back in shape, after alot of welding and some paint they will do, at least 'till I win the lottery and get a nos set. You can also see the buckets I'll be tackleing soon and the oai hood there, I picked that up for $350 from the parts place it has some minor damage to the fiberglass, no biggie, I just hope the frame isn't tweaked. Oh one more thing I'll get some fome on that air cleaner soon( that ones for you Jamesbo)
Attached Images
car 001.jpg (108.7 KB, 135 views)
car 002.jpg (99.2 KB, 135 views)
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM

You're not going to believe this but somewhere I actually have the foam for your car. Don't know why but it's hanging on a nail somewhere. PM me with Your address and I send it to ya FREE with Jamesbos famous Oklahoma Quarantee, "If it breaks in half, You own both pieces"

p.s. Pitch the white walls pronto

Last edited by Jamesbo; December 4th, 2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:45 PM

White walls already gone, going with ssI's with BFG rwl's.
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:10 AM

What part of PA are you from?
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:08 PM

A town called Tunkhannock, it's in the Scranton Wilkes-Barre area.
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Here is the air cleaner foam seal installed and ready to go! Thanks Jamesbo! Christmas came a little early this year. Also put the wing on, the guy I got it from said he got it from BAP, seems to fit good there is a small gap about 1/8" on the drivers side leg where it meets the decklid other than that nice and tight. It looks like I'll finally have to break out the sander and start stripping the body, I'm running out of excuses... unless there is any volunteers out there.... didn't think so.( Yes I suppose I could get my little guy sugered up and turn him loose)
Attached Images
car 005.jpg (102.2 KB, 62 views)
car 004.jpg (81.4 KB, 70 views)
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Glad it worked for ya.

I really don't have a clue where it came from.

Now who wants a 80 something air cleaner.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-cleaner.html
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Just A BaBy {:

looks like the kid is going to be an olds man 1 day.NIce car !!!!!!!!!
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Star 'em young and teach 'em right. Make an Olds man out of him. I could have been an Olds man all these yrs and wasted it on Ford, Camaros and Trans Ams.
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
car guy

Moving along very nice... at that rate you are going to catch me
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Your build is comming along well. I'm itching to get started on my 48 just watching your thread.
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Thanks guys! I'm chipping away at it. I'm shooting for the body and paint to be finished for next summer, I won't be holding my breath however. I keep finding stuff to fix, if you notice in the pic with the foam installed I found a weak spot on the body mount on the pass. side, so I found a good one to replace it , and the floor behind it has an area about the size of a softball thats a little weak that I was going to let go but being I'm changing the mount I have a patch already cut for the floor...And the kids an olds man all the way, he's alredy asking if he can drive it.
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
is Fast Enough ...

All it needs now is a coat of mud ...
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ummm, I know this thread is really dated, but I was wondering......do you have any pics of the car finished? Or maybe better Q is How's the project going. By this time your junior apprentice must have gained some good wrench pulling skills.
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Hey Allan thanks for asking, I had to put my paint job on hold due to a little girl that showed up at our place the money I had saved for that went for the baby. I pretty much have everything done that I could with the parts that I had on hand. The little guy is 6 now and I got him some tools of his own for Christmas he's always running around "fixing" everything in sight now. It's looking pretty good to get 'er done this year I already have permission from the "boss" to go to spring Carlisle to pick up a couple more pieces that I need then I have my fingers crossed that it's off to paint.
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:06 AM
car guy

I know the feeling. My 455 is growing in my wifes belly now
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I know the feeling. My 455 is growing in my wifes belly now
Yeah they suck the cookie jar dry pretty quick That makes 2 for you also right?
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Allan thanks for asking, I had to put my paint job on hold due to a little girl that showed up at our place the money I had saved for that went for the baby. I pretty much have everything done that I could with the parts that I had on hand. The little guy is 6 now and I got him some tools of his own for Christmas he's always running around "fixing" everything in sight now. It's looking pretty good to get 'er done this year I already have permission from the "boss" to go to spring Carlisle to pick up a couple more pieces that I need then I have my fingers crossed that it's off to paint.
Congratulations on your little girl! I think by the time she's 6, your son will have taught her how to use most of the tools you bought for him. Don't be in a rush, just do it right the first time. Looking forward to any new pics you've got. I think the ones you've got at the start of this post are the last ones we've seen. Nice to know you've got an understanding wife.
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Keep us posted Eric, you'll get there. I had to wait thru raising 3-boys to get back to building cars loooooooooooong time. Richard congrats on the bun in the oven. The 455 will get done just takes a little longer.
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Thanks guys! that little girl beats a paint job any day As for the wife I think she wants it done almost as much as I do and my son can't wait either. The quality thing was the whole reason for the break there was no way that I wanted to half **** the body and paint just to get it done I'm happier having waiting a little to have the funds to do it right. Heres a pic not an olds but she's cute
Attached Images
miranda.jpg (75.1 KB, 14 views)
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Man, that takes me back quite a few years. Enjoy her while you can, they grow up too fast nowadays. She's gonna break some hearts in a few years, looks like she's already got you wrapped around her fingers (thats a good thing though) I used to hold my son when he was young like that; sometimes I fell asleep on the couch holding him. Ya know what? If Icould still do it, I would...but he still has a special spot in his heart just for his old man. I don't argue with him much now cause he's 6'3" and I can't run that fast.....Sometimes we drive my wife nuts.

Oh, you'll Loooove this. The other day Joanne (my wife) told Graeme that he could drive her Saturn if he wanted to. He said (and I quote) "Naw, it's too small. I want a real car like Dads". Atsa my boy!!!
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:06 PM

Allan looks like your going to have to buy another 72 for your son.
That would make for a good father, and son project.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You put a big smile on my face with that one!!! I would do that in a heartbeat. The bond of family is so important and there are too many out there who, sadly, really don't care. I'm thinking he might be interested in a big car though. I could see him in a 70 Delta 88 vert or a 68 Toro. Man, I'm already a little jealous (hee hee hee - at least he's got a thick head of hair that can wave in the wind - for now.....) He'd have to get used to being a retro cool dude. I think he could handle it, just not sure if he could afford the gas and insurance
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM

68 toro now you're talkin' , I would love a toro. He would be hitting you up for gas money all the time though big motor+big car+young guys need to smoke 'em at every stop=big$$$

not that I don't feel the need to smoke 'em at every stop...
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

68 toro now you're talkin' , I would love a toro. He would be hitting you up for gas money all the time though big motor+big car+young guys need to smoke 'em at every stop=big$$$

not that I don't feel the need to smoke 'em at every stop...
Eric, Eric, Eric
What makes you think he's not already hitting me up for money all the time? Why today we were out and he conned me into buying some stuff for him. Then on the way home he asked if we could stop by the bank, so I said sure. (thinking of course he's gonna go in and get some money to pay me back with???? Nope, In he goes to deposit 220.00 that he had kept in his wallet. Like I said, "Attsa my boy". Drives me crazy sometimes, but love him to death.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Eric, Eric, Eric
What makes you think he's not already hitting me up for money all the time? Why today we were out and he conned me into buying some stuff for him. Then on the way home he asked if we could stop by the bank, so I said sure. (thinking of course he's gonna go in and get some money to pay me back with???? Nope, In he goes to deposit 220.00 that he had kept in his wallet. Like I said, "Attsa my boy". Drives me crazy sometimes, but love him to death.
Ha ha ha, sounds just like my little guy, he has that all figured out, spend dads money. When he does happen to have a couple bucks on him and we're at a store he'll ask if he can get something I'll say sure you have money right? he'll put it right back every time when asked why he's not getting it he'll just say well I don't want to spend MY money.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Money makes the world go around, but we give it away. At least when the kids get something you can enjoy it with them.

The bigger they get the more it takes to buy them stuff.
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
.......................... At least when the kids get something you can enjoy it with them................
You speak the truth. I have never ever seen a time when my son won't share something with me. In fact, it actually makes him upset if I don't take something...He's gonna be alright. This year he's doing honors in school and decided he wants to take summer school for extra credits and interests. I'm really happy about that. It looks like he's hitting his stride in achievement. Wants to take on the Registered Apprenticeship Program to learn about construction basics. He wants to be an architect. He'll be a good one. I remember some of the creations he made from LEGO. Only back then I didn't have a digital camera to take pictures, and he would take them apart and modify them again. We must have 1.5 large in LEGO and Thomas the Tank engine toys socked away in the basement. Anyone who's bought this stuff will know it's not cheap. Think we'll save it for his kids. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this on a personal note; I'm just super proud of my son.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this on a personal note; I'm just super proud of my son.
Nothing wrong with that Allan that makes two of us And as for money I agree its there for the spending you can always get more money but you can never get your kids childhood back.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:41 AM
car guy

Yeah they suck the cookie jar dry pretty quick That makes 2 for you also right?
Yes they do..That will be #2. We find out if it was internal or external plumbing next week. #1 is finally OK if its not another girl. That took months. She wants a sister BAAAD.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Yes they do..That will be #2. We find out if it was internal or external plumbing next week. #1 is finally OK if its not another girl. That took months. She wants a sister BAAAD.
Thats funny my son was all bent out of shape about us having a girl until she arrived now you will never see a more protective big brother than he is. Hope he stays that way when she's a teenager
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:22 AM

Nice I just got a 70 on Monday