I love her. But what is she?

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM

I love her. But what is she?

Hi guys! I recently got a car but am unsure of what year it is or what package she has. It is a long story but I have what I think is a 1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. However I am unsure. But here are the facts:

Has a 455 Engine
Says Cutlass on the glove compartment
Has the "S" emblem by the doors

Here are some photos of her. If you could tell me what year and what type I would greatly appreciate it. I would have tried through a VN number but when we were transferring the title, the state did not have it on the books. We had to get a new one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
12-14-07_1529.jpg (37.5 KB, 75 views)
12-14-07_1530.jpg (33.7 KB, 108 views)
12-15-07_1058.jpg (49.1 KB, 84 views)
12-15-07_1059.jpg (43.4 KB, 86 views)
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM

That appears to be a 1970 cutlass "s"
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:49 PM

Thanks a lot!!! I am trying to take it to a dealership to find out about that. However, do you know where I could find a passenger window for one? Mine is broken and it has been a pain to find one.
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Newkid8
I would have tried through a VN number but when we were transferring the title, the state did not have it on the books. We had to get a new one.
The VIN should be visible through the base of the windshield on the driver's side. If it's not there, run screaming.
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:16 PM
SeamusNH

Post the Vin

Post the Vin and someone here can decode it for you...

Old January 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM

You can try the following website for parts. They make nearly everything for those cars.

http://www.yearone.com/
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM
same but different

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The VIN should be visible through the base of the windshield on the driver's side. If it's not there, run screaming.

Yea if there is NO vin number, that sounds scary..... kinda stolen scary. I have never heard of getting a new vin from any department of motor vehicles. I must be getting old

I actually have the door glass window for that car, but I sure don't know how to ship it without breakage. If you want to talk privatly, send me a pm, as I do go to TX once a year but just north of DFW.

Nice car BTW, sure looks like 70 cutlass S, definately not a supreme.
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by don71
Yea if there is NO vin number, that sounds scary..... kinda stolen scary. I have never heard of getting a new vin from any department of motor vehicles. I must be getting old

Actually, some states WILL issue state VINs and VIN tags. This is more usually done with constructed cars such as kit cars. Stolen and recovered cars with tampered or damaged VIN tags may also get state-issued VIN tags with state-unique numbers. It depends on the state in question and can vary from state to state. Check with your local DMV or State Police for more info. At a minimum, this should be a flag to do much more checking.
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM

I GOT THE VN#!

Originally Posted by SeamusNH
Post the Vin and someone here can decode it for you...
Here is the VN# 3JS7K2G114652 we are unsure if the "3" is a "3" or an "8", but any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Newkid8
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM

The VIN you provided indicates a 1972 Cutlass Supreme with a 350 4bbl.(180 HP) made in Farmington, Mass. (The "S" after the "J" in the VIN is in fact a "5". J57 is the code for Cutlass Supreme 2 door hardtop, but your car is NOT. This VIN does not go with this car. As to what year you DO have, post a picture of the tail lights. This will identify the year, if the rear bumper and lights are original, which might be called into question as well in view of the foregoing. Sounds like this ride has a colorful history! Chumley
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM

P1010427.jpg
Originally Posted by Chumley
The VIN you provided indicates a 1972 Cutlass Supreme with a 350 4bbl.(180 HP) made in Farmington, Mass. (The "S" after the "J" in the VIN is in fact a "5". J57 is the code for Cutlass Supreme 2 door hardtop, but your car is NOT. This VIN does not go with this car. As to what year you DO have, post a picture of the tail lights. This will identify the year, if the rear bumper and lights are original, which might be called into question as well in view of the foregoing. Sounds like this ride has a colorful history! Chumley
These are the exact tail lights that my car has. I did not take a photo of the back of my car. Does this help?
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:58 PM

What do you mean a colorful history? Just being curious. I understand that the VN# does not match what the car is. So I am guessing that the car is a 1972 Cutlass S? I know that the engine is a 455 because I looked at the block number and found that out. Hmmm...luckily the Texas DMV gave us a new VN# since the old one could not be found in the state's database. I probably will not have any problems right?
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Those tail lights are 1970. If the big block is original to the car, you might have a 442. What kind of tranny do you have? What I meant by a "colorful" history is that there is a reason the original VIN tag is missing and one from a '72 put in it's place. Maybe the car was indeed stolen at some time, especially if it is a 442. Some clues to look for in a 442: Does the rear bumper have the exhaust cutouts? Front and rear sway bars with boxed lower rear control arms. 442 badges(which are probably missing at this point) Internally regulated alternator (no voltage regulator on firewall). It's cool you have a big block at any rate. What are the numbers you got off the block and heads? We can interpret those as well. Chumley
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

It would be interesting to see what the body data plate says...
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM

Those tail lights are 1970. If the big block is original to the car, you might have a 442. What kind of tranny do you have? What I meant by a "colorful" history is that there is a reason the original VIN tag is missing and one from a '72 put in it's place. Maybe the car was indeed stolen at some time, especially if it is a 442. Some clues to look for in a 442: Does the rear bumper have the exhaust cutouts? Front and rear sway bars with boxed lower rear control arms. 442 badges(which are probably missing at this point) Internally regulated alternator (no voltage regulator on firewall). It's cool you have a big block at any rate. What are the numbers you got off the block and heads? We can interpret those as well. Chumley
Neither the body of the car says 442 nor does not say it anywhere else on the body. It states "Cutlass" on the glove box and says "S" right behind the front tires. At first I thought the "S" stood for Supreme however in time, through research, I found that "S" was its own model. I am lead to assume that it is a Cutlass "S" but am unsure of the year.
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:18 PM

Where do I find the "body data plate"?
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Moment

under the hood on the cowl, drivers side.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:18 AM
Past Administrator

Everything can be replaced, fenders, bumpers, glove box door, etc. This could explain the curiosity of this car and the confusion. The only thing that is supposed to NOT be replaced is the VIN tag, it is supposed to stay on the car (of course). Interesting story here, I am curious to see what unfolds. As a side note, I saw an ebay auction for a '69 pontiac that described the car as a project with a lot of rust, what was it? A firewall, A pillars, dash and part of the frame of a a '69 firebird. Wonder what they were selling?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Oldsguy; January 22nd, 2008 at 05:21 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
You can try the following website for parts. They make nearly everything for those cars.

http://www.yearone.com/
as

As long its after 1963 (for F85's anyway). Same with other parts places.
Is it the same with the other two BOP cars for the early 60's? Corvairs
seem to rate ???
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM

What she is

I'm a new-Olds guy, but I believe what you have their is a '70 Olds Cutlass S. it was the model below the Cutlass Supreme. You have to love that 455!!!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Barneyo
as

As long its after 1963 (for F85's anyway). Same with other parts places.
Is it the same with the other two BOP cars for the early 60's? Corvairs
seem to rate ???
It's all about popularity, since the vendors are in business to make a profit. You'll note there aren't may repro parts for the 73-77 cars, but the more popular G-body cars have more aftermarket parts available.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by rrielley
I'm a new-Olds guy, but I believe what you have their is a '70 Olds Cutlass S. it was the model below the Cutlass Supreme. You have to love that 455!!!
WOW! Loving the 455 is an understatement. The car had been bought in the U.S. and then taken to Mexico for racing. The previous owners modified the engine so that it has an Edelbrock carburetor as well as Edelbrock intake manifold. The transmission, which I just had overhauled, is a "400". I am unsure of what that means however I was told that a typical car that has that type of transmission is a heavy duty truck. I was also told that I have a shift kit. I thought that the transmission was just not changing cleanly but I figured that out. The engine is nothing short of beastly! I was offered two heads which are bigger than the ones I have now. I am thinking about it, but I think I want to get the car working perfectly then work on the body. After all that then I will consider modifying it more.

I have an interesting fact. The engine seemed to have caught on fire at one point. I had this yellow film on the block as well as spots of the same substance on the bottom of the hood. My mechanic told me that it was the same chemical used for fire extinguishers. Luckily most of the parts were replaced so when I got the engine I just had to bring then engine up-to-date with a new electric job as well as fix other things. Luckily most of the work has been small.

However, I have yet to figure out the back suspension. I noticed that I have an air intake valve similar to that found on tires however I am unsure of any difference when I put air into it. I don't know how to check that. Also, I found out recently that my back tires are too big. The body keeps rubbing up against them. Does anyone know what type of tires I should have for this vehicle?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:27 AM
dar83501

whoever had the car before you should've tubbed the rear end in to fit those big tires properly.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:55 PM

Well, a th400came behind big blocks (I beleive all). Definatly came behind your 455, whatever it came out of.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:11 PM

That "air valve" sounds like the air input for air shocks. Is it located behind the license plate? ( factory location). It's common to put 455's in a car that came stock with a 350. Did you get numbers from the heads to ID the year of it? The 455 is an awesome motor. Used to have one in my SX. Also put a shift kit in the TH400. Could always grab 2nd and sometimes 3rd with a mostly stock motor. Ah, the good old days......Chumley
Old January 24th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Yeah that "Tire vavle" sounds like the vavle for a set of air shocks, look for a hose or pipe runnig from the valve to your shocks, my friends polara has them ran along the frame... I have only seen my friends, but I thought that kind of thing needs a pretty strong compressor to pump them to proper PSI... also, could it be possible the air shocks are just really low on air (or leaky completely) and thats why the tire is rubbing?
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM

So I had my dad read the body plate for me. Here is what it states:

BDY
PNT

SP 7033687E11320
TR 942 45 45
04CB84

General Motors Certified etc...

I am sorry if this is not the format that it would usually be in. However, this is the information I got. If anyone could tell me what type of body I have that would be greatly appreciated.

Newkid8
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Senior Moment

OH NO!!! I had to read it twice.. you have one of THOSE... It isn't worth $hit... I'll take it off your hands and dispose of it properly for you.. that way you won't have to worry about what color to paint it or what that silly air valve is for.. then you'll be free to buy a Honda and stop all this madness........
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jokers69
OH NO!!! I had to read it twice.. you have one of THOSE... It isn't worth $hit... I'll take it off your hands and dispose of it properly for you.. that way you won't have to worry about what color to paint it or what that silly air valve is for.. then you'll be free to buy a Honda and stop all this madness........
What do you mean? I don't know if you are joking or not!
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM

To add more info. to the origins of the car the taillights read: SAE ST1*A70

* we are not sure if "1" is a 1 or a "L"
Old January 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM

It is a 70....didn't you get a title???
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 68/70 Cutlass
It is a 70....didn't you get a title???
The title was lost. The story behind it was that it was bought in the U.S., McAllen, Texas, and then taken to Mexico to be raced. I then traded a 73 GTO for the Cutlass. When the car was checked out by the Texas DMV, it was not found as stolen or anything like that. My dad had to go to the DMV to get a new title to the car and do that whole dance. The car is legally mine under a new title with a new VN number since the last one could not be found.
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:33 PM

He was kidding about the "I'll take it thing"

Anyways, if your vin says one thing, and your data plate says another, you have (most likely) a stolen car. I hope for you that you don't, but something is a little fishy around here, and I'm nowhere near the docks.
Old January 27th, 2008, 04:50 AM
same but different

Your body plate says its a 1970 cutlass S holiday coupe 8 cylinder for sure.

The paint code is 45. Aspen green

TR942 is the trim...interior....bench seat, I believe.

Last edited by don71; January 28th, 2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: more info on paint code
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:13 AM

Here is a Vin decoding website, this will help tell you what you have.

http://www.buyclassiccars.com/vin.asp

brens71
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:55 AM

How could they NOT find a vin # as it is right there on the dash tag?That car is a 1970 cutlass SUPREME not a cutlass S judgeing from the rear bumper as that is a 1970 bumper BUT could have been hung on a 71 or 72 cutlass . The cutlass S has different quarter panels than your supreme. If your dash tag does not match for a 1970 - 1972 cutlass SUPREME you have a stolen or parts put together car BUT if the texas A-Holes gave you clear title for a car which is not really legal judging from what you have told us what else can anybody say!. Make sure of the dash vin # before we go any farther telling you EXACTLY what you have.

Last edited by buzzbomb; February 13th, 2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by buzzbomb
How could they NOT find a vin # as it is right there on the dash tag?That car is a 1970 cutlass SUPREME not a cutlass S judgeing from the rear bumper as that is a 1970 bumper BUT could have been hung on a 71 or 72 cutlass . The cutlass S has different quarter panels than your supreme. If your dash tag does not match for a 1970 - 1972 cutlass SUPREME you have a stolen or parts put together car BUT if the texas A-Holes gave you clear title for a car which is not really legal judging from what you have told us what else can anybody say!. Make sure of the dash vin # before we go any farther telling you EXACTLY what you have.
I tried doing that but the dash Vin# is so rusted it is hard to read. If anyone knows how I can take off the rust without having to take out the dash or window that would be much appreciated.
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:06 AM

3J57K2G11465
Your VIN plate says you have a 1972 Cutlass Supreme,350 4BBL-180hp
made at the Framingham Plant

7033687E11320
Your trim plate say Cutlass S V8, 2 door holiday coupe,
made at the Linden, NJ Plant

One of them is wrong. It appears to be the Vin plate.
So, if you were to have the DMV run the trim plate....
odds are, you'd come up with a stolen vehicle.

It won't be fun trying to sell that car.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM

I'm still learning myself, but it sounds to me like you got yourself a 70 cutlass s with a big brass pair of em, and an interesting story to tell. I'd hang on to that puppy if I were you.