got a 72 today

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2009, 04:48 PM

got a 72 today

found on CL.. fresh 455,t-400,and the cool hood!!

72004.jpg
72009.jpg
72001.jpg
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM

Good score! What are the plans for it? Does it drive okay? Looks like the PO over-revved it and spun the tach a bit...
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM

it has the "f" block and Ga heads(supposedly ported)..2500converter..boxed rear arms,rear sway bar,new 3" exhaust with flows,disk brakes,new master,calipers,rotors,lines,new radiator,tach on the column,autometer gauges. plans are to part it out.keep the 455 for my car and some other stuff...its rusty,both fron fenders,rear qtrs and trunk are rusty,i think it was a vinyl top car too. looks like its been 3-4 different colors...lol ive bnever seen one with the tach/clock in the dash before..have only driven it on and off my trailer.had 07 tabs and to bad front tires..
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM

It doesnt look too bad in the pictures, but too bad about the rust.
The clock and tach (tic toc tac) was part of the rally pac. The left gauge should have temp, oil, and fuel gauges.
IF you do start parting it, PM me if you choose to sell the rear sway bar and the fasten belt light on the top of the dash.
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
..............IF you do start parting it, PM me if you choose to sell the rear sway bar and the fasten belt light on the top of the dash.
Hey Rob,
You must have gr8 eyes, I couldn't see the fasten belts light pod on this car. If you're still looking for one, I'll put it on my watch list for when I go to the wreckers. That pod got used on a lot of cars, not just Olds. If I see any, I'll pick em up and stock em for anyone who's still looking. It took a long time to find the one I got from ebay. Can't remember if you did the rally pac in Lady yet? If yes, then did you disconnect the seat belt warning buzzer wire from the sender or just leave it? The only thing I don't know is if there's an extra set of wires that will run from the center of the dash to the connector behind the old gages. The pod I've got, the wires are only about 8 inches long. That's definitely not long enough, but easy to splice in.
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by leadfoot067
it has the "f" block and Ga heads(supposedly ported)..2500converter..boxed rear arms,rear sway bar,new 3" exhaust with flows,disk brakes,new master,calipers,rotors,lines,new radiator,tach on the column,autometer gauges. plans are to part it out.keep the 455 for my car and some other stuff...its rusty,both fron fenders,rear qtrs and trunk are rusty,i think it was a vinyl top car too. looks like its been 3-4 different colors...lol ive bnever seen one with the tach/clock in the dash before..have only driven it on and off my trailer.had 07 tabs and to bad front tires..
Hey leadfoot,
Out of morbid curiosity, is the hood original (steel frame underneath) and is it up for grabs or ya gonna hold onto it? You're right, it is a cool hood. Needs some work, but still cool.
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey Rob,
You must have gr8 eyes, I couldn't see the fasten belts light pod on this car.
I did not either - I am going on assumption that the rally pac on this car was factory and the fasten belt light is on the dash...

If you're still looking for one, I'll put it on my watch list for when I go to the wreckers. That pod got used on a lot of cars, not just Olds.
I do want one, though it is not too important. Basically i just want the top part that i can stick to the top of the dash for that "factory look". I do not have the heart to actually cut a hole in the dash for the wiring.

Can't remember if you did the rally pac in Lady yet?
Yep, did it LONG ago!

did you disconnect the seat belt warning buzzer wire from the sender or just leave it?
After rearranging the wires in the connector, the fasten belt light wire was heatshrinked and left hanging. I did reenable the annoying buzzer, so front seat occupants must fasten their belts!

The pod I've got, the wires are only about 8 inches long. That's definitely not long enough, but easy to splice in.
I would be curious to see the factory rally pac wiring harness...

Leadfoot - sorry to stomp across your thread...
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Congrats on the new car! Too bad its rusty, but if you can use some of the parts on your car and sell/trade the rest your going forward on your project. John
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM

on the left is just a gas gauge...yes is an original hood with steel under it,i think before i sell the hood ill do paint removal and fix the hole in it,but before i sell anything i need to do a vin check and the trim tag info...i planned on keeping the boxed rear arms and sway bar for my car..it was close to dark when i got home.tomorrow ill be able to drive it and look at it closer..
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:16 AM

heres the vin and trim tag info..i didnt see anything to lead me to believe this is a 442.. it does have the "U" in the vin telling me its a factory 455 car..otherwise nothing special unless you guys know somethng i dont..if ya do enlighten me...its otherwise gonna get cut up...

3g87u2zxxxxx

st 7233687 z 021127
tr 940 a52 65 65
11c 04115 0 650262
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:56 PM

A couple thoughts, have you compared the vin number on the engine to the one on the dash? If it's a replacement motor, did the guy you bought it from know the story on the engine he replaced? In 1972 there wouldn't have been anything to show it's a 442 in the vin. Have you checked to see what kind of emblems were on the car before being painted primer red? From the top picture it looks like a 4 row radiator top plate. That plus the 455, the OAI hood and factory tach doesn't mean it was a 442, but I'd be sure I checked everything before cutting it up, those are nice options for a Cutlass. It also was painted flame orange with a black interior, a pretty sharp car when it was new. My thoughts, check it out real well before stripping it, you may just want to fix it or keep the motor/transmission and sell the rest to someone else to fix. John
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Hello, I sent you a PM
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:51 PM

i have not checked the motor vin,it is a vinyl top car.i thought 442s didnt have vinyl tops? shouldnt the trim tag say w-29 if its a 442?haent really looked at the body for the emblems.its a bench seat car.theres a local guru i know i was gonna call him tomorrow and have him come look at it and see what he thought..it wouldnt hurt my feeling at all to remove the motor ,tranny and a few other items for myself and sell the car whole..i just dont yet have enough info to decide what i need to do..

Originally Posted by 2blu442
A couple thoughts, have you compared the vin number on the engine to the one on the dash? If it's a replacement motor, did the guy you bought it from know the story on the engine he replaced? In 1972 there wouldn't have been anything to show it's a 442 in the vin. Have you checked to see what kind of emblems were on the car before being painted primer red? From the top picture it looks like a 4 row radiator top plate. That plus the 455, the OAI hood and factory tach doesn't mean it was a 442, but I'd be sure I checked everything before cutting it up, those are nice options for a Cutlass. It also was painted flame orange with a black interior, a pretty sharp car when it was new. My thoughts, check it out real well before stripping it, you may just want to fix it or keep the motor/transmission and sell the rest to someone else to fix. John
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM

I'm not an expert with 1972's but I don't think it has to have a W29 on the trim tag to be a 442. If it is the correct motor and or transmission (both have a vin number stamped in them) you might be better off to restore this one. Or at a minimum sell it as a project car and take the profit to buy/build another engine. I have a 1967 and 68 442's that came with bench seats so that wouldn't surprize me. They way I keyed out your trim tag I don't believe it came from the factory with a vinyl top. But I also believe vinyl tops were options on 442's. John
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM

the motor is original for the car....
Old November 29th, 2009, 11:04 AM

"the motor is original for the car...."

Cool! Well, do you have an idea what it would take to save that car? Any evidence what kind of emblem holes were covered over with body filler? When you pick up an old car you never know what your giong to find
John
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:12 PM

this car definately had the chrome on the side..holes for cutlass emblem on both front fenders,chrome holes on front part of rear qtrs.and on the doors..did 442s have chrome on the sides?
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by leadfoot067
this car definately had the chrome on the side..holes for cutlass emblem on both front fenders,chrome holes on front part of rear qtrs.and on the doors..did 442s have chrome on the sides?
Yup, some of them sure did. Don't forget that 442 in 1972 was simply an option with upgraded engine, suspension and appearance. There were plenty of cars that came with body side moldingsm=, wheel opening moldings, and the rocker moldings as well. If you had a vinyl roof from the factory, also look for body piercing by the rear 1/4 window and the rear window. (a sure source of water entry over time) Those moldings were held on with speed nuts from inside the sail panel.
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:04 PM

im gonna part it...i believe after looking at the body closely,it has cutlass emblem holes in both front fenders a trunklid,and glovebox door..im pretty confident it isnt a 442..rear bumper isnt the cutout one..doesnt look to me like its ever been off. so it goes under the sawzall very soon,ill list parts for sale as i get around to removing them...may be awhile as its more important to me right now to move forward on my car.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:17 AM

Cool car.
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Yup, some of them sure did. Don't forget that 442 in 1972 was simply an option with upgraded engine, suspension and appearance. There were plenty of cars that came with body side moldingsm=, wheel opening moldings, and the rocker moldings as well. If you had a vinyl roof from the factory, also look for body piercing by the rear 1/4 window and the rear window. (a sure source of water entry over time) Those moldings were held on with speed nuts from inside the sail panel.
This is how people get confused... NONE of the 1970-72 442s had factory side body moldings down the middle like an S or Supreme. They did have trim around the wheelwells, drip rails and vinyl tops, but not on the sides. W29 cars had the thin triple pinstriping, which are in almost the same location down the sides that the moldings would be. No lower rocker stainless either.

Leadfoot, your car was code 65 Flame Orange with a painted Flame Orange top. A52 indicates a bench seat. 1972 W29 cars never had the W29 code stamped on the trim tag either. If they did, it would save a lot of agonizing among '72 owners who don't have build seets with that code on it (and it would weed out a lot of clones too).

Terry

Last edited by vette442; December 6th, 2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by vette442
This is how people get confused... NONE of the 1970-72 442s had factory side body moldings down the middle like an S or Supreme. They did have trim around the wheelwells, drip rails and vinyl tops, but not on the sides. W29 cars had the thin triple pinstriping, which are in almost the same location down the sides that the moldings would be. No lower rocker stainless either.

Leadfoot, your car was code 65 Flame Orange with a painted Flame Orange top. A52 indicates a bench seat. 1972 W29 cars never had the W29 code stamped on the trim tag either. If they did, it would save a lot of agonizing among '72 owners who don't have build seets with that code on it (and it would weed out a lot of clones too).

Terry
Thanks for the clarification Terry. Went and looked at my dealer guide and photos. You're right of course. Where it gets a little confusing is when the dealer ordering says you can get ANY Cutlass, Cutlass S or Supreme with one of the 3 442 packages available in 1972. Side rails and rocker stainless were standard on those models, so my reference was based on that. I've also seen 70-72 442's with some of the stainless that you state it should not have. I imagine that a special order could also include part of one package and delete part of another. Makes no sense to me, but there wasn't a lot to be said for standardization in the 60's and 70's. So I guess a "true factory 442" wouldn't have these, but someone who did a dealer upgrade might? I would agree that the car would not be "born" as a 442, but would adding the options and badging by a dealer constitute conversion to a 442? I used to work with dealerships back in the late 70's and it was common practice to "doll up" a car cosmetically to make it more saleable. Inventory turnaround for a dealer is $$.

BTW thanks for the A52 ref. It's on my cowl tag too, but not in the SPECS book. Do you know why this would be put on the cowl tag? The car has certainly got more than that for options which were not standard equipment for that model.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 08:08 PM

I'd be interested in boxed lowers and th sway bar, also the hood , and gauges pm me please
Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by my72olds
I'd be interested in boxed lowers and th sway bar, also the hood , and gauges pm me please
Sorry, but this thread is from 2009. I met Leadfoot once but haven't seen him post in a while.

I'd encourage you to create a parts wanted thread and see what gets offered up.

John
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:04 PM

I did in parts wanted , I did find a guy on here with 4spoke steering wheel all mounting hard wear just missing horn button I'm waiting to receive it now.... Thank you though