Front Stabilizer Links - OE or Polyurethane?

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2020, 10:16 AM

Front Stabilizer Links - OE or Polyurethane?

Replacing the front stabilizer links ('70 Cutlass Conv't.). Looking for feedback on using the OE rubber type or polyurethane bushings. The car is basically stock (350 c.i. 4-barrel) with rear stabilizer bar and boxed rear lower control arms. Springs and stance are OE. For those who have tried front stabilizer links with polyurethane bushings, how much / what type of ride handling benefit comes with the poly links vs. possible harsher handling, feel in the steering wheel?
Old October 8th, 2020, 11:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I replaced mine with OE style rubber ones. They're just fine. I've heard some guys saying the poly ones can squeak but IDK. Changing the front stabilizer link bushings will help a bit with oversteer but as far as using rubber or poly I don't think you'll notice any significant difference between one or the other.
Old October 8th, 2020, 01:18 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Poly will be an improvement over OEM rubber. I noticed a definite improvement in cornering.
Plus the poly won't take a set as fast or lose their durometer as quickly as OEM.

The new school frame to bar bushings are greaseable with zerks.
Control arm poly bushings squeak(old school). New school is also now greasable.
Old October 8th, 2020, 01:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Any compliance in the end links or mounting bushings will detract from the roll stiffness of a given bar. Basically as the bar twists during cornering, some of that resisting force goes into compressing the rubber mounts and links instead of resisting body roll. Changing to urethane bushings and end links lets more of the bar's torsional stiffness go towards resisting body roll, so urethane will make a give bar act slightly "stiffer" than rubber.
Old October 8th, 2020, 09:50 PM

I replaced the front end links on my 70 Cutlass conv. with polyurethane. No complaints. Cant say if its better than stock.
Don W
Old October 9th, 2020, 02:12 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Poly for sure - a set of Energy Suspension end links is typically < $20 and you will notice at least a bit of handling improvement in steering response and cornering stability. I've used them for years. My current '72 Cutlass ragtop front upgrades include a Summit Racing 1-5/16 front sway bar with Koni Street shocks and the ES end links ( p/n 9.8118) , all on 8" wide Torq Thrusts and 245-60-R15 tires.. Love how my car tracks and corners.

Last edited by 70sgeek; October 9th, 2020 at 02:26 AM.
Old October 11th, 2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 70sgeek
Poly for sure - a set of Energy Suspension end links is typically < $20 and you will notice at least a bit of handling improvement in steering response and cornering stability. I've used them for years. My current '72 Cutlass ragtop front upgrades include a Summit Racing 1-5/16 front sway bar with Koni Street shocks and the ES end links ( p/n 9.8118) , all on 8" wide Torq Thrusts and 245-60-R15 tires.. Love how my car tracks and corners.
Did you experience any squeaking from the poly bushings? Did you apply any lube to the bushing surfaces that contact the link washers?
Old October 11th, 2020, 12:24 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Nope and nope. You can coat the bushings if want but I've not ever done it and no issues.
Old October 11th, 2020, 01:21 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

I'm going to try the Energy Suspension poly end links (#9.8118). I have a lot going on with the car now, so I won't know 'til next spring when I drive it again if I notice any difference in cornering. I can always go back to rubber bushings.