Front clip removal

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Front clip removal

Hi,
I am working on the engine and engine compartment of my 68 Cutlass. It would be much easier to clean/paint without the front clip. (I am not removing or rebuilding the engine.)

How hard is it to get back on and aligned? The fenders have to come off anyway to repair or replace.

Thanks for any advice.
Steve
Old December 12th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Official Tire Kicker

If the fenders are coming off then pretty much the front clip will be coming off because you have to remove almost everything to get the fenders off. You will need at least two people and possibly three to get it back together properly when placing the fenders and hood back on. It's not really that hard, just time consuming and making sure it is right before tightening everything down.

Last edited by Willidog; December 12th, 2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:25 PM

It's pretty easy. Here's a few pointers:

after you take the hood and hinges off, pull the fenders. You don't need to remove the front bumper to accomplish this.

1. bag and mark all the spacers on the fenders for locations and quantities. You'll have three bolts at the rear top of the fender (one on the face of the cowl, one on the top and one hidden under the front door lip. Then there's two at the bottom under the heel and then two bolts at the front of the fender holding it to the rad support. Unbolt the wheel wells and don't forget the front fender pipe support from underneath.

2. After the bolts are removed (and don't forget about the antenna mount on the right fender) with the doors open, pull the heel away from the bottom and lift up the rear of the fender to get the door flange bolt to clear the door, then just pull it away from the car taking care to get the front of the fender out from behind the bumper and you're clear.

basically, everything can stay in place with just the hood and fenders off the car. Putting the correct number and size of the spacers back in the right locations will make realigning them much easier. You'll want to be putting the fenders on and off the car twenty times if you're welding new heels on them anyways!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P0007392.jpg (105.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg
P0007393.jpg (98.3 KB, 66 views)
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM

Drill 1/16 or so alignment holes at all the mounting positions. That way, when putting it back together, you just simply align the holes and bolt down. That is if you are happy with the original alignment. Otherwise tweek beforehand and then drill the holes. jmo

Edit- I drilled 1/8" in mine.

Last edited by ziff396; December 12th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.