Distributor Cam Lubricator

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Distributor Cam Lubricator

Just getting around to replacing the points in my 72 350 and noticed the distributor cam lubricator is completely worn out...does anybody still sell these? If not, what can I use as a replacement? I noticed there was some lube that came with my new points...can I just lube the bumper on the point set and forget about the cam lubricator? Just trying to do what the good book (i.e Service Manual) suggests......Thanks!!
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Past Administrator

You are referring to the little felt block, correct? Gee I don't know where you could purchase that new as a separate item but are there any junk yards in your neighborhood? Every GM distributor I know of used one of those, shouldn't be hard to scavenge one from someplace.
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
You are referring to the little felt block, correct? Gee I don't know where you could purchase that new as a separate item but are there any junk yards in your neighborhood? Every GM distributor I know of used one of those, shouldn't be hard to scavenge one from someplace.
Every set of Delco points I ever installed came with a little die cut piece of felt that slipped over the rubbing block on the points themselves.

Of course, this may be nature's way of telling you it's time to go electronic...
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Past Administrator

Come to think about it, you're right. That felt is on the points, not the distributor. Well, it's on the distributor indirectly I guess.
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Just checking around...seems like its going to be hard to replace. My point set came with a capsule of grease so I guess I'll use that on the cam itself and the rubbing block on the points. It's not like the car is my daily driver anyway so I'm thinking I can get by without replacing the lubricator which is just a little plastic piece that I assume held lube at some point. Thanks!