Did gm ever make a 1972 cutlass with a Manual Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2016 | 11:42 AM

Did gm ever make a 1972 cutlass with a Manual Convertible Top

I brought a 72 cutlass convertible that does not have a spot in the dash for the convertible top switch.....It doesnt have any cylinders in it so another guy and I was wondering....Did they ever make these cars with manual tops....If not then I guess somebody put in a non convertible dash panel and pulled the cylinders out......Maybe they wanted to convert it to a manual top....hmmmm
Old November 2nd, 2016 | 01:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think the safe answer is no. Is it possible you have a hardtop that has had the roof removed? Why the hell would anybody go to the trouble to change the dash and make the car a manual top?
Old November 2nd, 2016 | 01:45 PM

Hmmmm.If it use to be a hardtop they did a heck of a job.....The title said convertible.....does that mean anything....I just didnt wanna put power back in it if it origianlly did not have it....A guy from opgi told me they did make non powered verts.....then the guy from fusick and parts place said they didnt.....so I thought I'de ask the guys on the board....thanks!

Last edited by O-dawg; November 2nd, 2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2016 | 01:59 PM
Always room for one more

Check the VIN to see if it has a convertible's number. Also isn't the frame different on a convertible than on a coupe?
Old November 2nd, 2016 | 02:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have had two 72 Cutlass convertibles and still have one of them. Both had power tops. The frame on the convertible is boxed. This is interesting.
Old November 2nd, 2016 | 03:12 PM

It could be as simple as someone put in a new dash woodgrain insert and didn't cut it out for the top switch.
The lack of lift cylinders may be from someone not wanting to spend money on new cylinders and/or top motor, so they decided to skip those and operate the top manually.
Old November 2nd, 2016 | 03:20 PM

I've owned some Chevys with manual convertible tops. They had big springs to assist in getting the top up. Our hoods use springs, trunk lids too, the manual tops use them also.
So if there are no helper springs it was never a factory manual top.
IMO
Old November 2nd, 2016 | 03:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 66luvr
I've owned some Chevys with manual convertible tops. They had big springs to assist in getting the top up. Our hoods use springs, trunk lids too, the manual tops use them also.
So if there are no helper springs it was never a factory manual top.
IMO
Chevy used RPO code C05 for the spring-assisted manual top and C06 for the power top, but by 1972 even Chevy had dropped the manual top option on Chevelles. All 1972 Cutlass convertibles were Supremes, and all definitely had power tops. If yours REALLY is manual and not just power with the cylinders disconnected, then someone swapped in older Chevelle offloader springs. Pull the rear seat side covers and see what you have there - cylinders or spring cartridges.
Old November 2nd, 2016 | 03:38 PM

Hmmmm.Interesting indeed....As soon as I get home I'll check the vin....I honestly am tempted to do away with the power top so that I can just get a top put on it and save on the installation of cylinders,button,hoses and pump.....but alot of the upholstery guys say they would rather install the top with the power working....they say they can get a better fit......I may go ahead and get all the power put back in........buy once cry once!But I could care less about unlatching that badboy and just throwing it back.....I shouldnt be talking like this around a bunch of ginuine cutlass enthusiast!😉