Cutlass Ciera Side Mirror

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Cutlass Ciera Side Mirror

I acquired a 1989 Cutlass Ciera from my grandfather. My mother wiped out the driver's side mirror & I want to replace it. I have several "home" mechanics in the family, but none is quite sure how to get the mirror on. Does anyone know...do you need to remove the door panel or the door or the molding on the top of the door underneath the window? It looks as if it is bolted underneath the molding.

Thanks.
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

You will probably have to unbolt it from the back of the inside of the door.
There will be a few various screws that you have to remove from all of the attatched pieces.
Screws are self explanatory, you can remove them one by one and put them in a pan. but once removed, some pieces, like the armrest for example may have to slide forward to come out.

If you have hand crank windows, you will need a special tool to remove a clip behind the crank arm to pull the crank arm off of the spindle. (Available at probably every auto parts store.)

Power window switches should have a white plastic cluster that the wires go into on the bottom side of the switch, that pulls straight off of copper posts (top part of switch)

The panel itself is held in with reuseable plastic caps that pull straight out of small metal holes in the door, and should remain in the cardboard door panel when removed. if a few come out, you can just thread them back into the panel with a 3/4 twist if you didn't rip the back of the panel.

The biggest problem I can anticipate in this project is if you have those levers that adjust the mirrors from the inside of the car. I am not sure how they detatch as I have not ever had to remove a mirror with them. I'm guessing those are riveted on like a dome light would be, or have a sliding u clip in back.

You may also need a gasket kit when you put on the new mirror so water doesn't get behind it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
door_panel bolts.jpg (39.5 KB, 20 views)
door-panel-removed.jpg (34.3 KB, 12 views)
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

i will try to dig up some more quick pictures. Google images is down at the moment. The yellow circles in the picture are where the plastic clips (go/are removed from).
Attached Images
door panel clip.jpg (5.1 KB, 14 views)
doorpanscrew.jpg (23.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by J-(Chicago); October 7th, 2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: pic+
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Wink

some videos... of non GM cars unfortunately
http://video.google.com/url?docid=50...epznLF9IuiEPsg

http://video.google.com/url?docid=-2...4QM9KmcwLjHi4Q