Cutlass/Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2009, 03:35 AM

Cutlass/Chevelle

Well it's time to rebuild the front suspension and I have a question. Will a 65 Chevelle front end kit work on my 65 Cutlass? I have heard that many Chevelle parts are interchangeble with the Cutlass.
Thanks,
Rokit
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:20 AM

Call who ever your going to buy the parts from and ask them they will know and if they don't that's a good sign you don't need to buy parts from them.
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:00 AM
car guy

Yes A body is Abody when it comes to front suspension. What are you looking to do? Just bushings or a performance setup?
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rdrokit
Well it's time to rebuild the front suspension and I have a question. Will a 65 Chevelle front end kit work on my 65 Cutlass? I have heard that many Chevelle parts are interchangeble with the Cutlass.
Thanks,
Rokit
The chassis and suspension are virtually identical on all A-body cars of a given year. There WERE some detail differences, however. Control arm bushing sizes may be slightly different, so check yours before buying. Later A-body cars may have used an oval lower control arm rear bushing, but some did not. Finally, the steering center link may be a different diameter.
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Rdrokit
Thanks,
Rokit
Have you thought about Disc brakes ..?
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Finally, the steering center link may be a different diameter.
More specifically, '64-'67 F85s (and though '70 on the big cars) there are factory Saginaw and factory TRW types and you'll need to match components. In other words, the center link, pitman arm and idler arm all need to be one or the other. They have non interchangeable connecting details. Your Chassis Service Manual (you have one, Rdrokit, right?) will show you how to identify the two types.
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

wmachine. I do not have a Chassis Service manual and do not know how to tell the difference

mugzilla, never thought of disc brakes as the stock power brakes work great. Maybe when they quit working I will change over

gearheads78, just looking to replace the rubber bushing, nothing performance.

P.S. I was looking to buy from Matts Classic BowTie as their prices looked good and my Chevy friends in the States buy from him and are happy.

http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/index.html
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Trying to remember member

Hang in there, Rdrokit. I'll scan and email the relevant pages, pm me your email address.
I've had excellent luck with Kanter for suspension part. Great deals on their complete kits.
http://www.kanter.com/