Best place to order parts?

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2010, 07:12 AM

Best place to order parts?

Hi,
I just brought home my grandparent's 68 cutlass 4 door last night. Trailered it for 10 hours from PA. (Long trip but worth it.) Now it is time to get to work. Can anyone tell me of some good parts suppliers? I am talking aftermarket parts, not NOS.

My experience is with classic Mustangs. There are tons of parts suppliers for those, and some are better than others. (service before and after the sale, no hassle returns etc.) The manufactures of the parts also vary in quality. There are aftermarket parts, and then parts made from original Ford tooling. I assume the same would go for the Cutlass.

What vendor is the best to deal with and are there aftermarket parts made from original GM tooling?

Thanks for any info.
Steve
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Hi Steve,

Where are you located? You may get lucky with a regional supplier and save the shipping with an occasional trip.

The two I'm aware of are www.fusick.com and www.yearone.com. Maybe other folks on the 'board can comment on these as well as other suppliers.

Best,
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Fusick is my first choice. Oldsmobiles are more limited in what is available in the aftermarket.
Old August 9th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Oldsdruid

Fusick for the best quality Olds repro stuff. Steele Rubber for weatherstripping and small rubber parts. Parts Place and Original Parts Group have pretty good reputations in Oldsworld too. As expected, there are a couple to stay away from. You'll learn who they are quickly.

Is this a sedan or a hardtop? The 68 isn't supported as well as 69-72 (and nothing is supported as well as Mustang!), but there's stuff available, you just have to know where to look. Also remember the GM A-body cars share a lot between Divisions, so a Chevelle or GTO supplier may have just what you need.

Up front- the GM parts numbering system does not make as much sense as the Ford system.

Post VIN and data plate info and we'll tell you what you started with and educate you a little on GM and Fisher Body speak. At least a four-door has usually not been buggered up too much. They can be just as much fun as a 2-door HT or convertible, they just don't command the money the sportier cars do. But with yer grandparents' car, I kinda doubt you're worried about that.
Old August 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM

I like www.SoffSeal.com (Cincinnati) for my weatherstripping. Won't use anyone else's. Gary Anderson and Bob Meyer adapted skyscraper window seal technology to car weatherstrip applications in the 70's. The company was initially called "A & M Soffseal". I was in a car club with both of them in Cincinnati at the time. Two of the greatest guys I ever met, rest their souls. Several of the wives in "Queen City Classics" used to work for the company when they were small, stuffing the little plastic retainers into the mouldings, bagging things up, etc. The company is a lot bigger now, growing from 55-57 Chebbies to a wide range of vintage car apps.

I also use Ames Performance Engineering (www.amesperf.com, New Hampshire) for general A-body stuff. They are exclusively a Pontiac house, but carry the highest quality stuff. Their catalog typically tells you how good or bad the part is, who made it, and you'll sometimes have a choice of 2 or 3 comparable items and price ranges!
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Randy C.

Fusick (www.fusick.com) is the best, in my opinion. There's also another business near Portland, OR, called Supercars Unlimited. All Supercars does is Oldsmobiles as well, but Supercars is all mechanical - you won't find interiors or sheet metal there. Supercars web site is www.supercarsunlimited.com and I believe you can view their catalog on line.

Randy C.
Old August 9th, 2010, 11:44 PM

All my stuff so far I have picked up from InlneTube (mostly bolts, and brake/fuel lines). I think they get some stuff from Fusick. As for Fusick, I had a neg experience they eventually correcktted. Inlinetube also has a nice 'color' online PDF, whereas others I have seen are black/white only. I want to see pics in color not B/W. I also like how they do some of their eBay ads.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:28 AM
this is not my car lol

if you want quality parts, but nothing NOS or white box try these guys, i have had good luck with them, and their listings are very easy to use

www.rockauto.com