70 Cutlass Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:19 AM

70 Cutlass Ride Height

I recently purchased a 1970 Cutlass convertible, and to the untrained eye the rear looks to be sitting just a bit low. Does anyone know the correct ride height for this vehicle, and from what point in the rear this height is measured? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Hi,
I am new to the forum and am in no way an expert on the Cutlass. I may be able to point you in the right direction though. Try posting your question on Eaton Detroit Spring's website. These guys are experts on springs and ride height.
http://www.eatonsprings.com/forums/
I used them when I was deciding on the ride height for my 68 Mustang. Just give them as much info about your Cutlass as you can. Wheel/Tire combo, engine, trans, Air con. or not etc. They will tell you the factory ride height and how to measure it.

Here is an article about Eaton. It has good info about what affects ride height and Eaton's manufacturing process. Good stuff here, even if it is in a Mustang Mag.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...ngs/index.html

From the Mustang point of view, the Mustang was designed to have the rear sit lower than the front. The hot look at the time was to have the car look like it was launching from the starting line even when it was standing still. Not sure if that is true for the Cutlass though. You can look for vintage Cutlass adds to see the stance of the cars from back in the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw8nlz5bxIs

Any way, contact Eaton and see what they have to say. I used them when I replaced the leaf springs on my Stang. I was going for a modified look so they added an inch and a half of arch to get the height I wanted. When I installed them they were 100% on the money and perfect.

Hope this helps.
Good luck,
Steve
Old August 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by runner66
I recently purchased a 1970 Cutlass convertible, and to the untrained eye the rear looks to be sitting just a bit low. Does anyone know the correct ride height for this vehicle, and from what point in the rear this height is measured? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
I concur that the A-body cars always look like they're dragging tail. I actually like to cut about one coil from the front springs. Use 14" wheels on the front and 15" on the back and the car has a nice stance. Of course, that assumes you're not looking for a totally stock look.
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll give a shout to the Eaton guys and see what they have to say. Splitting the difference, as you suggested Joe, is also an interesting option.
Best,
Tim
Old August 11th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Specs for ride height and how to measure it - at least for a '69 - are on page 12 of the assembly manual. I'd suspect that the '70 manual will have similar data.

Last edited by 69 Ragtop; August 11th, 2010 at 04:37 PM.